Votes: 55 96.5%
  • Soggy

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Who the hell orders soggy chips. I thought they just went that way after you take too long to eat em.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate drive 1 hour north to Port Douglas - beautiful place.
Yeah. Do that a bit.

I'm a tour guide. I take people up to Karumba in the Gulf, then ride the Gulflander Train to Croydon. Stay at Cobbold Gorge, catch the Savannahlander train back to Cairns, stopping overnight at the Undara Lava Tubes. Back in Cairns, I take them to Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge, and, Herberton, over a couple of days.

I'll be back up there in August, going out via Longreach and Mt Isa, but have a dinosaur tour of Hughenden, Richmond, and Winton in between.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who the hell orders soggy chips. I thought they just went that way after you take too long to eat em.
It's because the oil is not hot enough to sear the potato, so it soaks up oil and becomes soggy.

You should use a high temperature, and dip the chips quickly in and out, to allow them to sear the surface, then put them in to cook.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Yeah. Do that a bit.

I'm a tour guide. I take people up to Karumba in the Gulf, then ride the Gulflander Train to Croydon. Stay at Cobbold Gorge, catch the Savannahlander train back to Cairns, stopping overnight at the Undara Lava Tubes. Back in Cairns, I take them to Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge, and, Herberton, over a couple of days.

I'll be back up there in August, going out via Longreach and Mt Isa, but have a dinosaur tour of Hughenden, Richmond, and Winton in between.
Mate it sounds like you have a dream job. I remember back in '09 when I went to Europe, I loved the job the tour guides had. Basically, free accommodation, free meals, get paid a fair amount, and get tips on top of that. It's like working a vacation. The thing is though they really need to know their stuff.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Speaking of chips - had a very annoying interaction relating to the delicious food.

Went to my local seafood shop a few weeks back - and we generally order crumbed fish (uncooked), so we can cook it at home. But I was also feeling peckish, so thought I would get small chips as a snack for now.

Ordered the fish, specified uncooked. Then proceed to also order a serving of hot chips. Order was ready about 5 minutes later, paid, collected and walked to the car. Started driving, decided to have a dig of the greasy goods mid-drive... when to my annoyance (and almost amusements) - found that the chips were also uncooked. They literally sold me frozen chips.

And before anyone asks - no, they did not add chicken salt :rage:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate it sounds like you have a dream job. I remember back in '09 when I went to Europe, I loved the job the tour guides had. Basically, free accommodation, free meals, get paid a fair amount, and get tips on top of that. It's like working a vacation. The thing is though they really need to know their stuff.
I used to host tours by rail through the Swiss Alps, and did a couple of tours of Japan.

It's not an easy job. The welfare of your clients is uppermost
you have to be prepared to give them the attention they need
be ready to cope with sudden changes (which happen a lot),
deal with all their dietary requirements,
have a back up plan if the hotel is double booked, or the train or coach fails to arrive, or a planned activity fails to occur
help them with their luggage, or walking difficulties,
count heads all the time, and search for stragglers without abandoning the rest of the group.
make sure that they understand what the days activities are, and what times to meet, and where
deal with any health issues
tolerate, and look after the prima donnas
always be ready with a smile
know your product inside and out

The amount of work that you do behind the scenes, while they sleep soundly in bed, has a good guide working 24/7
By the end of a tour, if you're not worn out, you haven't done your job.

The most important thing is to make sure you are having a good time, because clients can pick up the vibes if you're miserable, no matter how hard you try tot hide it.

The money is good, and if you have a good group, it is one of the best jobs in the world; but it's not something most people can do.
It was never a job I ever wanted, but I sort of fell into it when a mate needed someone who knew the Swiss rail system, and how to use it.

I now focus on outback Qld, which can be a challenge for clients who think accommodation in remote areas is going to be five star, with martinis by the pool. The shock of finding out that in really remote areas it's beer or rum, in a two or three star hotel; and the choice for dinner is Chicken Parmy and chips, or steak and chips, tinned fruit, and instant coffee. There are some little oases out there, and we know them all; but it is remote, and supplies and staff are hard to get, post covid.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Speaking of chips - had a very annoying interaction relating to the delicious food.

Went to my local seafood shop a few weeks back - and we generally order crumbed fish (uncooked), so we can cook it at home. But I was also feeling peckish, so thought I would get small chips as a snack for now.

Ordered the fish, specified uncooked. Then proceed to also order a serving of hot chips. Order was ready about 5 minutes later, paid, collected and walked to the car. Started driving, decided to have a dig of the greasy goods mid-drive... when to my annoyance (and almost amusements) - found that the chips were also uncooked. They literally sold me frozen chips.

Hahaha I can just picture that happening. Service is so crap in Australia

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

I laugh when Victorians order scallops in NSW, and find they get what they call potato cakes, not the shellfish.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I used to host tours by rail through the Swiss Alps, and did a couple of tours of Japan.

It's not an easy job. The welfare of your clients is uppermost
you have to be prepared to give them the attention they need
be ready to cope with sudden changes (which happen a lot),
deal with all their dietary requirements,
have a back up plan if the hotel is double booked, or the train or coach fails to arrive, or a planned activity fails to occur
help them with their luggage, or walking difficulties,
count heads all the time, and search for stragglers without abandoning the rest of the group.
make sure that they understand what the days activities are, and what times to meet, and where
deal with any health issues
tolerate, and look after the prima donnas
always be ready with a smile
know your product inside and out

The amount of work that you do behind the scenes, while they sleep soundly in bed, has a good guide working 24/7
By the end of a tour, if you're not worn out, you haven't done your job.

The most important thing is to make sure you are having a good time, because clients can pick up the vibes if you're miserable, no matter how hard you try tot hide it.

The money is good, and if you have a good group, it is one of the best jobs in the world; but it's not something most people can do.
It was never a job I ever wanted, but I sort of fell into it when a mate needed someone who knew the Swiss rail system, and how to use it.

I now focus on outback Qld, which can be a challenge for clients who think accommodation in remote areas is going to be five star, with martinis by the pool. The shock of finding out that in really remote areas it's beer or rum, in a two or three star hotel; and the choice for dinner is Chicken Parmy and chips, or steak and chips, tinned fruit, and instant coffee. There are some little oases out there, and we know them all; but it is remote, and supplies and staff are hard to get, post covid.
Gee's mate, you have had quite an innings - well done.

One thing you can probably consider when doing the QLD outback tours is to let the tour group know right from the start that the accommodation is going to be 3 star, not 5, and let them know what's on the menu - that way it'll soften the blow when you get to those destinations.

I know what rural areas of QLD are like - granted the coast line though, as we drove 8 hours from Port Douglas to Airlie Beach over 2 days. Very remote, phone reception is pretty bad, and at times you'll be driving long distances without another car in sight.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gee's mate, you have had quite an innings - well done.

One thing you can probably consider when doing the QLD outback tours is to let the tour group know right from the start that the accommodation is going to be 3 star, not 5, and let them know what's on the menu - that way it'll soften the blow when you get to those destinations.

I know what rural areas of QLD are like - granted the coast line though, as we drove 8 hours from Port Douglas to Airlie Beach over 2 days. Very remote, phone reception is pretty bad, and at times you'll be driving long distances without another car in sight.
I do all that mate. Even ring clients with particular needs before they get on the plane, and tell them that while I can do what ever is possible, these are the facts of life. People still have their own idea of what the outback is like because they've watched the travel shows. It's only when they get there that they see it's not like the getaway programs make it look on TV.

Western Qld is remote and open Savannah country. Wild camels, venomous snakes, free roaming cattle, scuttling creatures in the scrub, crocodiles, bore water, and Kookaburras that'll steal your sandwich right out of your hands. Dirt roads where we go, and the Gulflander is a real bone shaker.

Accommodation is clean and comfortable, but people won't find almond milk lattes or gluten free pizzas out there. The 15kg limit on the Rex plane is a problem for some as well.

And they lie about their levels of fitness. Once we're out there, there ain't no easy way to quit and come home- unless they want to pick up the tab for a privately chartered aircraft, or the Flying Doctor - and that is an eye watering amount of money. If someone becomes miserable, they infect the whole group. Now that is rare, but I do get the occasional crabby person, and you have to be able to read the signs and nip it in the bud early.

The people who run the places, and the drivers of the trains and buses, are the best people you could meet, but they aren't the cultured well dressed people you'll find on a Captain's Pick extravaganza world tour. They're the real down to earth Queenslanders who'll go out of their way to make the trip enjoyable - kicked back Aussies who don't care if there's a bit of dirt on the mug, which doesn't suit for some people.

It's a great experience, otherwise I wouldn't keep doing it.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I do all that mate. Even ring clients with particular needs before they get on the plane, and tell them that while I can do what ever is possible, these are the facts of life. People still have their own idea of what the outback is like because they've watched the travel shows. It's only when they get there that they see it's not like the getaway programs make it look on TV.

Western Qld is remote and open Savannah country. Wild camels, venomous snakes, free roaming cattle, scuttling creatures in the scrub, crocodiles, bore water, and Kookaburras that'll steal your sandwich right out of your hands. Dirt roads where we go, and the Gulflander is a real bone shaker.

Accommodation is clean and comfortable, but people won't find almond milk lattes or gluten free pizzas out there. The 15kg limit on the Rex plane is a problem for some as well.

And they lie about their levels of fitness. Once we're out there, there ain't no easy way to quit and come home- unless they want to pick up the tab for a privately chartered aircraft, or the Flying Doctor - and that is an eye watering amount of money. If someone becomes miserable, they infect the whole group. Now that is rare, but I do get the occasional crabby person, and you have to be able to read the signs and nip it in the bud early.

The people who run the places, and the drivers of the trains and buses, are the best people you could meet, but they aren't the cultured well dressed people you'll find on a Captain's Pick extravaganza world tour. They're the real down to earth Queenslanders who'll go out of their way to make the trip enjoyable - kicked back Aussies who don't care if there's a bit of dirt on the mug, which doesn't suit for some people.

It's a great experience, otherwise I wouldn't keep doing it.
I’d love to see more of WA one day and will message you to check your availability Chris.
I find your life & stories so interesting and it would be an amazing trip

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Had some SUPERB hot chips (and fish) on Wednesday at Bridge Seafoods at Tom Ugly’s .. It’s just before Tom Ugly’s Bridge on Princes Hwy Blakehurst..

Just Bloody Yum..

ps..only had half the fish..it was huge!
View attachment 56035
Man that fish looks crispy and awesome....

Hope you enjoyed it my bro