Chaser Joker gets off Charges!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21097583-5001021,00.html?from=news

Joker case thrown out
By Evelyn Yamine

January 22, 2007 12:00

Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
A MAGISTRATE has ruled the knuckleduster football stunt by The Chaser comic Chas Licciardello was not offensive and has dismissed a case against him.

The TV satirist was hauled into Sutherland Local Court after a prank in which he tried to sell Bulldogs "merchandise" - including knuckle-dusters, flares and balaclavas - to fans at a rugby league match between Canterbury and St George.

Licciardello - from the ABC program The Chaser - was taken away by police outside the Oki Jubilee Stadium last July when irate fans began to argue with him over his stunt. he was charged with offensive conduct.

But magistrate Joanne Keogh today found that although not everybody may have understood the joke, it was not offensive conduct - and threw out the case.

Fifty minutes of the raw footage was played in Sutherland Local Court yesterday, showing Licciardello allegedly trying to sell "official Bulldogs merchandise", including flares, knuckledusters and balaclavas to fans

Police Inspector Darren Schott told the court he stepped in to protect Licciardello from being assaulted.

Insp Schott watched Licciardello - who was working with a crew with about five cameras - for about seven minutes before a group of fans began yelling at him.

"I didn't know it was a comedy sketch ... It wasn't funny in my regard," Insp Schott, who was involved in crowd control at the game, told the court.

But Licciardello still got a laugh out of his performance yesterday, chuckling at times as the footage was played - then making a joke at the expense of Bert Newton's embattled son Mattthew as the hearing ended.

"Look, there's Matthew Newton," he called to media to distract them as he left.

The 29-year-old pleaded not guilty to one charge of offensive conduct.

½

friend of stevie j
Reaction score
so unfair he was illegal!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If i was at the game and he was there and saw him doing that.. i probably wouldve spat at the ****...

A joke?? Hes making fun of us doggies supporters...

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was there, I walked passed him too.

Didnt think it was a big deal

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
I believe the guy is a tool - joke or not - he was writing us all off - he can go eat a **** for all I care!

H

Haztrick

I believe the guy is a tool - joke or not - he was writing us all off - he can go eat a **** for all I care!
haha!!

Personally, I found it funny.. But the more and more I watch it or hear about it, the more it just gets old and just like every other pathetic Bulldog joke.

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
haha!!

Personally, I found it funny.. But the more and more I watch it or hear about it, the more it just gets old and just like every other pathetic Bulldog joke.
I don't understand how you can find it funny but? The guy is getting publicity out of bringing us down. Most Bulldogs fans say they hate all the media hype and bullcrap surrounding our club - yet some of you find this loser funny?

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
I don't understand how you can find it funny but? The guy is getting publicity out of bringing us down. Most Bulldogs fans say they hate all the media hype and bullcrap surrounding our club - yet some of you find this loser funny?
Agree if he was putting my club into shame like that i would be really pissed off with him.

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
Agree if he was putting my club into shame like that i would be really pissed off with him.
Exactly - he is putting us to shame, making fun of us. Maybe from your point of view Soliola it could be seen as funny because it isn't your club - however like you said, "if he was putting my club into shame like that i would be really pissed off with him".

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly - he is putting us to shame, making fun of us. Maybe from your point of view Soliola it could be seen as funny because it isn't your club - however like you said, "if he was putting my club into shame like that i would be really pissed off with him".
WORD...

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
It's stupid stuff like this that mainly focuses the media right on the dogs.

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
It's stupid stuff like this that mainly focuses the media right on the dogs.
And people on here think it's funny - outrageous!

Sure I can take a joke - but not in this situation - it is a blatant personal attack!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
its okay tbh

i once ran up a street with a balaklava and holding my sisters small tv just to be funny

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
it is a blatant personal attack!
i have learnt to deal with personal insults and attacks... with this issue i just laugh it off...

maybe it has offended a few ppl on this forum but most just found it funny and a joke.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
I didn't think it was illegal ... I just thought it was lame comedy ... "Bulldog fans are terr.orist/thugs" jokes have been done to death. Even my mates can't be bothered with them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.