Centre/wingers for 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One guy who may be worth a shot at centre is Asipele Fine. He isnt quite big enough to be a back rower but he can tackle and is fairly quick.
He would be similar to Farrar and Mortimer. And he has played a bit of centre.
Another classic speedy2460 post

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another classic speedy2460 with post
So whats wrong with the post. The two we have playing have both failed. Isnt someone worth a chance. Someone who can tackle and make a bust.
Seeing your the greatest authority on football we have (apart from Gotenks), who would you have playing centre.
Or are you just shooting your mouth off from the back of the year 10 bus.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So whats wrong with the post. The two we have playing have both failed. Isnt someone worth a chance. Someone who can tackle and make a bust.
Seeing your the greatest authority on football we have (apart from Gotenks), who would you have playing centre.
Or are you just shooting your mouth off from the back of the year 10 bus.
How about you have a look at Fine this season. He was never fast enough to be centre. Back up at best. We want to be moving forward not sideways.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3 brothers signed one of those letters of intent with the Bulldogs that they wanted to sign a deal with us which was going to be for 4 years. Giddley found out and cracked a fat about it saying the brothers told him they wanted to stay at Newcastle. They had until a certain time to sign with Newcastle before they would have to sign with the Dogs. They then ened up re-signing with Newcastle and that was that.
Cheers mate

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How about you have a look at Fine this season. He was never fast enough to be centre. Back up at best. We want to be moving forward not sideways.
Yeah..I am amazed at the explosive speed of Hoppa. Besides Fine is a good option to cover for injuries. He can move to the back row.

Last edited:

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't know but I wouldn't mind seeing Hoppa/Jmoz in the backrow next yr.
Second rowers typically provide a more direct attacking threat, and are often relied upon to perform large amounts of tackles in defence. Hoppa will get smashed.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where this guy Eashan Masters came from?

Never heard of him before but he is absolutely carving it up for manly in the centres. Looks a gun.

Why can’t we get players like this?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Never heard of him before but he is absolutely carving it up for manly in the centres. Looks a gun.

Pretty sure we turned him down years ago lol. Not even joking.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Second rowers typically provide a more direct attacking threat, and are often relied upon to perform large amounts of tackles in defence. Hoppa will get smashed.
Plenty transitioned we'll.. Luke Lewis, Lawrence and Oats will become another one just to name a few. I don't see why Hoppa cant considering his one tough and smart footballer. His attack is more direct than agile and he can chop plenty of people down, stamina? His got plenty.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Tigers and he debuted last yr... Showed glimpses of brilliance and potential but this yr his definitely gone nuts.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to hit the market very aggressive, sign the best talent under everyone’s guard, pangai number 1 priority

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Plenty transitioned we'll.. Luke Lewis, Lawrence and Oats will become another one just to name a few. I don't see why Hoppa cant considering his one tough and smart footballer. His attack is more direct than agile and he can chop plenty of people down, stamina? His got plenty.
Oates has bad knees and will never play in the forwards - certainly not for any length of time. Second rowers and centres are not that different, but we need to have good centres to replace them if they are moved and we don't so it is kind of moot. We need more players with speed, step and can tackle. All of ours in the reggies only get two out of the three at best.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oates has bad knees and will never play in the forwards - certainly not for any length of time. Second rowers and centres are not that different, but we need to have good centres to replace them if they are moved and we don't so it is kind of moot. We need more players with speed, step and can tackle. All of ours in the reggies only get two out of the three at best.
Olive is 21 so I would like to see how he develops... Yeah I know he looks 25.

Bergamin is a shoe in the Bmoz spot

I'd go hard after Holmes and Marsters.. If we can land holmes on a sweet deal with the sharks i'd transform him into centre.

I'd bulk up Hoppa and turn him into a right edge backrower

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Olive is 21 so I would like to see how he develops... Yeah I know he looks 25.

Bergamin is a shoe in the Bmoz spot

I'd go hard after Holmes and Marsters.. If we can land holmes on a sweet deal with the sharks i'd transform him into centre.

I'd bulk up Hoppa and turn him into a right edge backrower
Mate, have you actually looked at Hoppa this year. He's already bulked up significantly and gained pace. I saw him at BSG and again in Perth - he's not like he was at FB. Also, he's only 25. He has at least another 5 years in the backs to go yet. If Olive replaces anyone at the moment I would think it would be Montoya. He's been the weakest link in the backs this year. Holmes is a deadset winger. Marsters is actually a backrower who is playing centre. Both would be good but both will be expensive. Holmes has to be on $700k now and to get Marsters you are looking at $500+ to get him to move. I don't think we are at the stage of moving centres into the forwards yet. Let's see how we go over the next month before we panic. Next year? Well who knows. At least we will have some cap room to look at options.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tom Wright is another player we should look at. Think he has another year to run on his contract with Manly but if he doesn't get a shot soon at Manly and we show him there is a spot here we could build some interest. Could play centre or 5/8 for us.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tom Wright is another player we should look at. Think he has another year to run on his contract with Manly but if he doesn't get a shot soon at Manly and we show him there is a spot here we could build some interest. Could play centre or 5/8 for us.
Been keeping an eye on him to, playing in the halves. However ive heard alot of people say he could make a great centre.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where this guy Eashan Masters came from? Never heard of him before but he is absolutely carving it up for manly in the centres. Looks a gun. Why can’t we get players like this?
Started in NZ, came across to Aus as a teenager and was picked up by Roosters talent scouts. Roosters had others coming through at the same time and couldn't offer him a potential start like Tigers. Went across to the Tigers and rest is history.

We've got a few guys in lower grades that are looking pretty good for the future, but they are years and years away if they make it to NRL.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First of all let me start by thanking you for welcoming me to this forum.I agree that plenty have transitioned and I also agree that Morris could probably make a decent 2nd row.But we are talking about Hoppa not players like Gene Miles,Noel Cleal,our own Chris Mortimer or Lewis.The players you and I mentioned all had/have upper body strength and their careers evolved around power plays,strong fends and brutal defense.In my opinion Hoppa is nothing like that,he is more effective off sweeping plays linking on the outside (one or two out) or running the ball forward from deep angles.In order to play 2nd row he needs to bulk up by at least 10-15kgs,this would reduce his speed.With a weight fluctuating between 90-95kgs he would become a target for the modern game 2nd rowers who mostly are 105kgs+.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Been keeping an eye on him to, playing in the halves. However ive heard alot of people say he could make a great centre.
Yh he could slot in at either position, great attacking player in the making.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First of all let me start by thanking you for welcoming me to this forum.I agree that plenty have transitioned and I also agree that Morris could probably make a decent 2nd row.But we are talking about Hoppa not players like Gene Miles,Noel Cleal,our own Chris Mortimer or Lewis.The players you and I mentioned all had/have upper body strength and their careers evolved around power plays,strong fends and brutal defense.In my opinion Hoppa is nothing like that,he is more effective off sweeping plays linking on the outside (one or two out) or running the ball forward from deep angles.In order to play 2nd row he needs to bulk up by at least 10-15kgs,this would reduce his speed.With a weight fluctuating between 90-95kgs he would become a target for the modern game 2nd rowers who mostly are 105kgs+.
You welcome. Maybe a little bit to early for him then.. We'll have this discussion in a few yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.