Caught speeding 110 km in a 100km zone

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Get your Speedo checked.
When i was 20 (in 1997), I bought a 1985 VK Commodore for $5K. I was so excited and proud of the purchase.

Got done for speeding a few days later.

knowing everything of course, I took my car to get the speedo checked, thinking i wasn't wrong etc. Turned out my speedo read way over (i think when it said 100 i was really only doing about 94).

Getting your speedo checked is a WOFTAM. You would be just as better off using your GPS to track your speed, or using those speedo check signs on the side of the highway.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well ID I know you can get off your first one.. I would send a letter telling this is the first in seven years...It’s your best bet my man..
Yeah definitely appeal. You just do it onljne, mention your driving record and anything else. I’ve got off my first fine by doing it, and if they reject it, you just pay it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah definitely appeal. You just do it onljne, mention your driving record and anything else. I’ve got off my first fine by doing it, and if they reject it, you just pay it.
It probably doesn't hurt to write a letter/complete online form. Doesn't cost anything.

But I wouldn't do anything beyond that.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It probably doesn't hurt to write a letter/complete online form. Doesn't cost anything.

But I wouldn't do anything beyond that.
Yeah agree. You receive the letter and you just log in using the details on the letter, one of the options is to appeal via a letter. Also gives you extra time to pay it as it takes them a while to process it. Worst they can do is reject it and the original fine applies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When i was 20 (in 1997), I bought a 1985 VK Commodore for $5K. I was so excited and proud of the purchase.

knowing everything of course, I took my car to get the speedo checked, thinking i wasn't wrong etc. Turned out my speedo read way over (i think when it said 100 i was really only doing about 94).

Getting your speedo checked is a WOFTAM. You would be just as better off using your GPS to track your speed, or using those speedo check signs on the side of the highway.
They almost always do.
Legally they can read up to 10% faster and 0% slower.
Usually they’re about 8%.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

It’s not a WOFTAM if you’re suspect it’s reading under. Considering it can cost you your license and have your car defected.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They almost always do.
Legally they can read up to 10% faster and 0% slower.
Usually they’re about 8%.

I have noticed GPS always shows a lower speed than what it is shown on the speedo of the car.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Keep in mind that in order to contest it you have to turn up to court around 8am and your case will probably be heard around 5pm.

It's a bit of an added extra scam 'cause they know people would rather pay the fine than lose a whole day in court.
Yeah but a day of entertainment and trying not to laugh your arse off at bogans contesting innocence in court.

Speed traps are a bit of a scam. They have to make a quota so they crack down on anything if they're below quota. If they're already above quota then they ignore anyone under 20kph over.
Quotas are a bit of a fallacy. That comes from a family friend who was Snr Sgt in a rural HWP (both as a car and bike officer) for 30 years.

It's not so much a quota, but discrectionary powers. According to him an officer has limited discretionary powers (both on the speed over as well as how often they can do it). Beyond that it has to be approved by a snr officer. If you are borderline between 2 offences the officer can easily drop it down one, but upper end of one it requires approval.

He reckons anything under 10kph and generally you are sweet.

ACT won't miss you.
$1811 fine. 6 points. 3 month suspension.
Made his quota in a hot minute.
Nor will brand new unmarked cars in NSW, a heavy right foot, and a "it'll never happen to me" attitude.
End result was:
$2067 fine.
6 demerit points.
6 months suspension.

never got caught speeding or crashes since 09.11.2001
I love this arguement. Worst driver in the world could have 0 speeding infringements or crashes... but how many have they CAUSED.

Re the speedo discussion... my old car with new mags (and a new diff amongst many other things) was out. Ended up having to have it recalibrated to pass engineering.

Current car over reads by about 8kph. So speedo will be on say 118kph, but actual speed will be 110kph on GPS (both dashcam and Tomtom).

However if your speedo was 100% accurate and you're relying on it being out by 10%, then if you are doing say 111kph, you'd be 11kph over.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha I would've loved to have heard the conversation he had about physics too.
The conversation ends quickly when I speak science. The copper was only human and just like many others he took the easy way out and asked me to contest the charges in court when I presented my argument on velocity, refraction and the laws of cosine.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The conversation ends quickly when I speak science. The copper was only human and just like many others he took the easy way out and asked me to contest the charges in court when I presented my argument on velocity, refraction and the laws of cosine.
Hahaha if only we had a kennel court

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did the copper find evidence of molten metal