Caught speeding 110 km in a 100km zone

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So , I was driving back from Warwick this afternoon and drove over a bend in a 100 kms zone when a low life- nothing better to do cop who was coming from the other side on his MOTOR BIKE put the disco lights on and signalled me to pull over. I immediately glanced at my speedo (without putting my foot on the brakes) and it was hovering around just above 100 kms/hr but not even close to 110 km/hr mark.

I pulled over, the **** cop asked me what was the speed limit in the area and I replied it is 100km/hr. He asked me what speed was I doing and I replied "probably 100 km/hr" , he asked me to go up a bit and I said may be 102 km/hr and he responded it was 110 km/ hr as detected by his mobile speed camera.

I argued back that I was definitely not doing 110km/ hr. To which the Qld government revenue maker said that his speed gun is showing that I was doing 110 km/hr. After debating around the laws of physics from the accuracy of speed gun to the car travelling on a bend and me being adamant that I was no where near 110 km/ hr , he asked me to challenge his fine in the court and the basturd gave me a $174 fine.

I just want to know if any one else has been caught speeding by the dick heads on their moving vehicles or motor bikes and been penalised for driving 10 kms over the speed limit in a 100 zone and that too on the bend on the road. Has any one challenged it and been successful?

Don't they need to have to have the evidence / recording of like 3 seconds of continuous driving above the speed limit? this **** caught me on a bend on the road while he too was travelling in the opposite direction.

Should I challenge this fine? if so on what grounds?

any advice would be appreciated.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Depends ... did he get you on RADAR or on LIDAR?

You could argue the devices aren't calibrated correctly, you could argue your speedo must be out of whack, you could argue that the speed detection equipment was not used as per proper procedural guidelines.

Where EXACTLY did he get you is the question.

In NSW their guidelines for LIDAR usage require a 3 second reading.

End of the day probably cost you more than the fine in lost wages and legal fees to fight it.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends ... did he get you on RADAR or on LIDAR?

You could argue the devices aren't calibrated correctly, you could argue your speedo must be out of whack, you could argue that the speed detection equipment was not used as per proper procedural guidelines.

Where EXACTLY did he get you is the question.

In NSW their guidelines for LIDAR usage require a 3 second reading.

End of the day probably cost you more than the fine in lost wages and legal fees to fight it.
Don't know if it was a LIE-DAR or RADAR. it should me a gun probably attached to his motor bike at the time of capturing my speed.

He said I went to 109 and then clocked 110 that is when he turned his disco lights on.

I am 100% confident I never touched 110kms (unless my Passat has a fucked up speedometer).

I know I am fighting a lost cause, but there are so many things which are going wrong here for example

1- I am confident I never touched 110km/hr
2- he caught me on a bend, I was told by my local council that they can NOT place speed cameras on a bend when I asked them to put one on my street to capture hoons
3- He was himself moving i.e. riding a motor bike coming from opposite direction when he caught me
4- What is the evidence that it was me who he caught speeding when it could be the car behind me?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Go speak to a lawyer. There are plenty of places you can get free legal advice and most likely find someone to represent you. I know my nephew managed to get a fine overturned, but it probably has more to do with having a lawyer representing him than anything else. He's since lost his licence twice for more than a year.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Go speak to a lawyer. There are plenty of places you can get free legal advice and most likely find someone to represent you. I know my nephew managed to get a fine overturned, but it probably has more to do with having a lawyer representing him than anything else. He's since lost his licence twice for more than a year.
am thinking now a day of work to contest this fine is probably gonna make me lose more than $174.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He was racing to Susans!

Don't know if it was a LIE-DAR or RADAR. it should me a gun probably attached to his motor bike at the time of capturing my speed.

He said I went to 109 and then clocked 110 that is when he turned his disco lights on.

I am 100% confident I never touched 110kms (unless my Passat has a fucked up speedometer).

I know I am fighting a lost cause, but there are so many things which are going wrong here for example

1- I am confident I never touched 110km/hr
2- he caught me on a bend, I was told by my local council that they can NOT place speed cameras on a bend when I asked them to put one on my street to capture hoons
3- He was himself moving i.e. riding a motor bike coming from opposite direction when he caught me
4- What is the evidence that it was me who he caught speeding when it could be the car behind me?
You could argue your speedo is out by 10% (there's up to 10% variance), but that would require your speedo to be checked and certified as over.

1 - But did you glance at speedo AFTER being lit up or before?
2 - Fixed speed cameras can't be put on a corner. LIDAR shouldn't be used on a bend ideally, but can be used on bends up to a certain angle.
3 - Doesn't matter, you could have been a terrorist for all he knew, once the lights go on he can go whatever speed he likes within reason.
4 - LIDAR can get 6 cars are a time in any number of directions (in ideal circumstances).

Bottom line though $174 fine is cheaper than a day off work (and probably cost more than that for an hr of lawyers time + costs to suppoena calibration records from NSW Police + lawyers day in court).
Orr you could run the risk and... https://www.radars.com.au/product_info.php/genevo-pro-p-342

FWIW most cops I've seen in Qld float around roadworks areas, or they are unmarked camera cars.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
yep, never heard of any one getting fined going over 10% above the speed limit. Plus I bet I was not even doing 110 as per my speedo.
Yeah but here's the thing... you take it to court.
Judge: Were you doing 100kph ?
You: No I was doing slightly over your honour.
Judge: So you admit to speeding just not 10kph over?
You: Yes.

Game over right there.

Under 10kph generally you are okay because they'll wait for someone going faster to come by. But if he's ending shift and you trigger their LIDAR, you'll get pulled over.

NSW Police normally set them 8-12kph over, but other states could set them as low as 5kph over.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He was racing to Susans!

You could argue your speedo is out by 10% (there's up to 10% variance), but that would require your speedo to be checked and certified as over.

1 - But did you glance at speedo AFTER being lit up or before?
2 - Fixed speed cameras can't be put on a corner. LIDAR shouldn't be used on a bend ideally, but can be used on bends up to a certain angle.
3 - Doesn't matter, you could have been a terrorist for all he knew, once the lights go on he can go whatever speed he likes within reason.
4 - LIDAR can get 6 cars are a time in any number of directions (in ideal circumstances).

Bottom line though $174 fine is cheaper than a day off work (and probably cost more than that for an hr of lawyers time + costs to suppoena calibration records from NSW Police + lawyers day in court).
Orr you could run the risk and... https://www.radars.com.au/product_info.php/genevo-pro-p-342

FWIW most cops I've seen in Qld float around roadworks areas, or they are unmarked camera cars.
as i was told the speedos of the cars are set higher than actual speed. so if my speedo shows I am driving at 100 km/ hr , the actual speed could be 97 or 98 km/ hr.

answers to you question:
1 - But did you glance at speedo AFTER being lit up or before? I glanced straight away as soon as the lights flashed and I made sure I didn't put the brake on, I just took the foot off the accelerator.

I guess you are right, I am not going to bother wasting my day and potentially getting the fine higher.

I am just spewing that I got done for speeding when I was not. I am more than happy to pay the fine if I was doing overs, but this is a fucken joke.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but here's the thing... you take it to court.
Judge: Were you doing 100kph ?
You: No I was doing slightly over your honour.
Judge: So you admit to speeding just not 10kph over?
You: Yes.

Game over right there.

Under 10kph generally you are okay because they'll wait for someone going faster to come by. But if he's ending shift and you trigger their LIDAR, you'll get pulled over.

NSW Police normally set them 8-12kph over, but other states could set them as low as 5kph over.

so what do they ***** want the drivers to do?

Keep eyes on the speedo and not on the road at all times when driving in a 100 km zone?

Or

Drive at 90kms/ hr in a 100 km zone?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Keep eyes on the speedo and not on the road at all times when driving in a 100 km zone?

Or

Both pretty much..

Qld is known for being lethal... NSW depends on the copper... I had an 79 in 60 reduced to a Under 10ph over after I showed the police officer my GPS still showed the road as 70kph, despite apparently a sign saying 60.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Have you installed larger, aftermarket wheels? They throw off your Speedo too.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good is your driving record?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have heard of some cases of people contesting it by asking for the maintenance logs on the speed gun, but you could probably contest it based on that too.

Keep in mind that in order to contest it you have to turn up to court around 8am and your case will probably be heard around 5pm.

It's a bit of an added extra scam 'cause they know people would rather pay the fine than lose a whole day in court.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Or

Speed traps are a bit of a scam. They have to make a quota so they crack down on anything if they're below quota. If they're already above quota then they ignore anyone under 20kph over.

Oddly enough a majority of accidents in school zones happen because people are busy looking at their speedo rather than the road.