1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Catastrophic Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Psycho Doggie, Nov 11, 2019.

1. flamebouyant

flamebouyant Kennel Addict

But this is why your totally not getting the point!! You say cry wolf, but what if they said it was only moderate danger and it turned out to be catastrophic???? The whole idea is to prepare for the worst. People need to be made aware of the real danger.
    With the right conditions a fire can move extremely quickly!! And it is also completely unpredictable.
    As the fires have moved up the mountain towards my home, the heat it generated was pushing far ahead of the flames which caused explosions of fire into the sky because of the eucalyptus vapors being steamed out of the leaves of the trees. Embers were being blown in constantly changing different directions as the wind changed course.
    Imagine this happening in the blue mountains and the impact it would have on sydney if they just ignored the possible extremity of conditions.
    The other thing you seem to have forgotten is that a state of emergency has been called. Fire brigades are extremely stretched and there simply isn't enough help. This means that sydney would be at a disadvantage if things did become as bad as expected because a lot of resources would have been other places.
    For once the government is reacting in a way they should have done already. Climate change is real. Conditions like this will continue to worsen and the powers that be still have their fucking heads in the sand.

• Like Like x 5
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. flamebouyant

Hahaha yeah I know mate. There are some clueless people out there and on here.

3. Hacky McAxe

Hacky McAxe Immortal Gilded

Nope. They should declare a state of emergency when they need funding to stop a major problem or help those who suffered a major problem. And they do that all the time.

4. Hacky McAxe

And if we really want to discuss catastrophe. Just look at the dictionary definition.

But there's also "catastrophic risk" Fire level. That's the top level on the fire rating which suggests worst condition for a potential fire. High temperatures, high wind and potential for a fire event that authorities can't handle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JUNKYARD DOGS

JUNKYARD DOGS Kennel Addict

The different levels bring in extra resources (Equipment etc, other locations assistance is cleared for assistance) and increase people on the ground aswell as the funding from government (afterwards).
    Ive been part of emergency response teams for Cyclones up here in gods country and can tell you these are required and do work well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue_boost

Blue_boost Kennel Enthusiast

but high risk wasn’t a sufficient category? They had to create catastrophic. They sold Tuesday as Armageddon ..

But I appreciate people need to be prepared, what about next time?

if someone tells you it’s the highest risk of hail ever and you go outside and it’s sunny do you believe them next time they say it’s going to hail?

7. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

The level has also been around for a decade (but thankfully is rarely used)

8. flamebouyant

You choose to do whatever you want. Ignore the warnings if you want. But maybe you will end up with a large chunk of ice embedded in your skull.
    People generally make their own decisions. But often people make very stupid decisions. The government were simply covering their ass. If they say it again and people dont react, well, that will be on them. Cant say they weren't warned!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blue_boost

It’s like the millennium bug. When we ticked over to year 2000 everyone Was led to believe the world would spontaneously combust..

In Campbelltown there was record levels of extractors being fitted to cars as the locals thought, if I don’t get em now, the world will end and I never will.

the IT companies created all this extra work to be Millennium bug compliant

When year 2000 come...nothing.. lots of scare mongers out there for ulterior motives

10. Wahesh

Wahesh The Forefather of The Kennel

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 086

086 Banned In the Sin Bin

aaannnd you still obviously don't get it!
    Just quit whilst walking distance behind dude, as the more you continue, the more you're doing yourself a disservice.

At this stage he requires a backhoe minimum!

From what I've seen here, I wouldn't leave you second in charge of a Bunnings charity BBQ stand!

12. MattyB

MattyB Super Moderator Staff Member Gilded

I was in Port Stephens on the weekend and Monday and Tuesday, we were going to spend the day on Tuesday doings tuff but we had to come home early because the smoke was so bad.

It was like thick fog, i can only imagine what it's like closer to it

13. utility half

utility half Immortal

Not if their consistency is made up of wine and not water .... I guess that’s why thst point never occurred to me :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Blue_boost

lucky your in no position to appoint anyone. Does Even your dog walks you?. :grinning:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hacky McAxe

As someone who was involved in carrying out Y2K bug updates for corporations I feel the need to point out how wrong you are here.

The Y2K bug was a combination of media hype and actual issues that needed to be fixed. From a technical and scientific perspective there wasn't much fear. Everyone knew it was a small issue that should be patched for safety reasons but no real expert thought it was a problem. But it was good business. We used that fear factor to sell upgrades to individuals and businesses.

The whole fear factor was driven by the media and end of the world cults. There was even a stage where announcements were made to state that there was zero chance that the Y2K bug would cause any problems. But that didn't stop apocolyptic fear mongers from driving it as an actual thing.

In regard to climate change you know what the major difference is. Climate change is being driven by experts in the field of climate science. Y2K was being driven by the media and conspiracy theorists.

Imagine if you went to a doctor and he told you that you needed to have a heart transplant. But you didn't trust him so you went to another doctor. He said the same. So you kept going to doctors. You went to all the best doctors around the world until you found Dr Nick with fake credentials who says that you don't need a heart transplant as moon beams will heal you.

That's literally what climate change denial is. Ignoring the experts and focusing on some random people who agree with you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  16. Hacky McAxe

I'm going to need a translation for this.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Hacky McAxe

When it comes to climate change I always say that people are free to believe what they want. But I would suggest that you ask yourself why every scientific organisation with ongoing climate research bases their research on climate change being Man Influenced and a Major Problem?

Feel free to believe whatever you want just keep in mind that the world doesn't agree with you.

https://www.nature.com/nclimate/

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

https://www.environment.gov.au/clim...g-climate-change/finding-reliable-information

https://www.science.org.au/educatio...e-genetic-modification/science-climate-change

• Like Like x 1
  18. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN The Bearded Crusader Premium Member Gilded

Lucky I didn't see Dr Nick lol

PS Hi Dr Nick!

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. south of heaven

south of heaven Immortal Premium Member

Coming back from Japan this morning the smoke was fucking everywhere up north.
    20191114_072720-2304x1728.jpg
    No that's not clouds

• Like Like x 2
  20. 086

086 Banned In the Sin Bin

Piss off troll!
    Your comical value expired a long time ago!