1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Catastrophic Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Psycho Doggie, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Terry Lamb 1996

everybody is left leaning in his mind

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. 086

086 Banned In the Sin Bin

I feel you, like most here, would risk life and limb for family.
    I know I have.

STATE OF EMERGENCY!
    Do you even English?

3. Blue_boost

Blue_boost Kennel Enthusiast

One girl not enough for
    you? Did you leave them both to go backpacking around the globe, to convince poor people to provide you with free accommodation and food, for you to then say the food was ordinary. One day to return home and the two girlfriends they can jelly wrestle with you as a prize, winner take all?

To be serious, despite the complete botchup and obvious blunders in fire ratings (calling the whole state at catastrophic risk was ridiculous) , Let’s all wish those in trouble a safe outcome and thank the emergency services for a tremendous effort .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Memberberries

Memberberries Desball 4 life Gilded

1993 and 2001-2002 have been the worst fire seasons in Sydney so far in my lifetime.

2002 we were eating ash that was falling from the sky.
    It inspired me to quit smoking cigarettes before turning 18 the smoke was that bad!

Im not saying these fires aren't bad, but they're nothing compared to 1993-1994 and 2001-2002.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blue_boost

Blue_boost Kennel Enthusiast

I have never displayed anything but sorrow for those impacted particularly on the north coast. Of course I don’t want misfortune for these people. I genuinely hope your mum is not at any loss. I have family members myself trapped in Forster, can’t get home as all roads are closed to port Macquarie. But Let’s park the tragic events for a moment.

my beef is with authorities declaring a blanket state wide catastrophic state of risk to include areas not at this level of risk ie Sydney. You can’t honestly believe the north coast and Sydney are in the same category of risk ? I know someone that continued their travels north from Sydney as they thought the “catastrophic” risk rating for Sydney was grossly overstated. However, They were met with real catastrophic conditions up the pacific highway near Taree. Same “catastrophic” rating but met with scenarios that are worlds apart. Authorities flippant declaration of catastrophic (in Sydney) gave them a false sense of reality.

• Best Post Best Post x 1
  6. Memberberries

I'm with you having beef with authorities classifying even Sydney as a catastrophic risk!
    It's ok at least some people understand it is fear mongering.

7. utility half

utility half Immortal

I remember driving back from Queensland with family in early 94....just before the highway was closed down....that was fucking scary. But that was in early January....

It isn’t even summer yet.

8. 086

Last time I was discussed the topic with an EMC when seeking clarification, for a state of emergency to be declared, it has to apply across the entire state, yes inclusive parts not affected.
    Without it, special legislation to enable efficiency in emergency services efforts, are not possible.
    Are we all on the same page now?
    Whilst at it, do we all now understand that the primary responder (in this instance the Rural Fire Service - who are volunteers and NOT paid) essentially runs the show and everyone else follows their directive (yes including the Police) so if you're ever asked, don't be that "But you're not the Police" prick!

*Specifically looks in the direction of @Blue_boost *

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. utility half

utility half Immortal

Oh no, the rural fire service has been infiltrated by snowflakes .... first thing they’ll be labelling fire threats as catastrophic.... the next thing you know, all our children will want sex change operations.

10. Memberberries

The fires started in late November 1993 Im pretty sure?

I was still made to go to school like everyone else.

Its ok Sydney is going to be fine.
    There isn't much natural terrain left to burn through!

The Lane Cove national park is a shadow of its former self!

11. utility half

utility half Immortal

They probably did, but we drove to Queensland with no incident starting New Year’s Day..... there wasn’t as much debate done in November as we’ve seen do far this season.

There is plenty to burn out west heading towards the mountains and north in Kuringai.... and plenty to burn where I am on the central coast.

it’s pretty dumb to dismiss the warnings of the rural fire service imo... the rural fire service is not a political organisation.

12. Memberberries

Until most of Sydneys roads and railways are shut off I'm going to remain calm.

13. utility half

utility half Immortal

Nobody is telling you to panic, just to accept it’s getting hotter and dryer and extreme weather events are only going to intensify.

I didn’t see many people around here running around in a wild state of panic.

14. 086

*We can't put out this fire, it's offended by water!*

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. 086

Hope everyone stays calm and prepared tbh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Memberberries

Yeah I already acknowledged this fact.

I grew up in the deep west of Sydney most of my life in a shitty weatherboard home!

No one knows the heat like us westies!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Memberberries

Just like that time when me and my friends were coming back from jellybean down old Bathurst road and the rural fire service stopped us to warn us of a fire futher down the slope and it not being safe to proceed.

I calmly told my friend who was driving to disregard and hit the accelerator!
    As all of us were teenagers and not prepared to wait around stuck in the lower mountains until the RFS contained the blaze!

Yes I know now its not wise to drive through a fire!
    But we made it.
    Maybe Allah was on our side?
    Proving thus once and for all that Islam is the only way?

18. Hacky McAxe

Hacky McAxe Immortal Gilded

I try to be as central as possible. My opinions tend to change based on the facts and information available. I generally carry out the various political compass tests occasionally. Often I'll end up left leaning, often right leaning, and sometimes perfectly centre.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hacky McAxe

I remember that debate. I never said that there was a human with fully functioning sex organs but what I didn't know was that in humans it's no longer called Hermaphrodite. Thank you for the new information. I always prefer to learn the truth over bias.

20. Hacky McAxe

To quote Socrates (or at least, what Plato says Socrates said), "I know that I know nothing"

Or as an old Asian dude in an old martial arts movie, "to reach enlightenment first you must admit you know nothing"

Or from Bill Nigh, "every person you ever meet in your life will know something you do not"

No one can ever be a true expert of anything. I just aim to learn as much as I can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Best Post x 1