Status
Not open for further replies.

Hightown Tiger

Waterboy
Reaction score
Featherstone Rovers 10 Castleford Tigers 22

Attendance:6,343

Highlights:
-Today was always going to be about the result, rather than the performance. Although we weren't convincing, we did what was needed.
-Excellent defensive effort, led superbly by Andrew Henderson
-In the past, Huddersfield and Salford have lost at Post Office Road early in the season. Castleford are not considered to be as good as those two teams were when they were in the NFP/NL1, so to win was a big achievement.
-On the whole, the team kept their discipline. Of course, there were one or two incidents where Castleford players reacted to cheap shots by Featherstone players, but mostly we didn't react.

Lowlights:
-I was going to say the behaviour of both sets of fans was a highlight. I myself didn't see anything too bad, apart from a lot of swearing (from Cas and Fev fans), but a few people have mentioned racist insults being aimed at our winger, Waine Pryce. Also, a Castleford fan was punched in the back of the head by a Featherstone thug (I won't call him a supporter) in an unprovoked attack. Rugby league doesn't need this type of scum.

Boom of the match:Around the 25th minute, either Paul Handforth or Damien Reed put in a big, perfectly legal hit on a Featherstone players.

Referee Rating:Julian King 7. He kept a short 10, and penalised both teams adequately for the same offences e.g. not playing the ball correctly, offside. However, how many chances was Jim Carlton given. In my opinion, he should have at least been sin binned for some of his cheap shots.

How many Cas Fans?Difficult to say, but I think around 3800-4000.

How were the Cas Fans?One or two songs, but mostly quiet. Although it is hard to create a good atmosphere without a roof. The Fev fans weren't exactly loud either.

Comedy Moment:The Featherstone fans who we saw on the way to the match and asked them the following question:
''Excuse me mate, do you know where the Blue Lagoon is?''
''No sorry, is that a pub or something?''

Well what a guess. What they should have said is ''Yes we do, but seen as your Cas fans we won't tell you.''

My MOTM:Shenton, Crouch, Handforth and Kain had good games, but for his defensive effort alone I'll give it to Andrew Henderson.

In a nutshell:
Today was all about putting in the hard work. The conditions were poor, so it was never going to be fast, expansive rugby league. When Featherstone knew they couldn't win the game towards the end, they resorted to high tackles and they tried to wind up the Castleford players.
Also, for quite a while Featherstone fans have claimed that Post Office Road is better than The Jungle. Maybe it is if you want to sit down, but most people prefer to watch rugby league standing up. At least at The Jungle you can stand up without getting wet, and you can hear the tannoy.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
in light of all the changes here tonight on the kennel, we can all be rest assured that the weekly Castleford match report WILL continue ladies and gentleman. :p

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
this time a big 6000 were in attendance

thats a 1000 jump from last time

Hightown Tiger

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bulldogs84 said:
this time a big 6000 were in attendance

thats a 1000 jump from last time
Yep, doesn't sound like a big crowd compared to the NRL, but most teams in this league attract 1000-1750. There should be an even bigger crowd when Featherstone visit us.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
ok... England really need to pull their finger out to come upto speed with NRL... hurry up and get the south of England interested in League like football!!!

thats the problem, one thing I like about the ESL is the relegation rule!!!
if we had this rule in place for australia it would give the lesser teams out in the country the chance to play in the top grade!!!

like I dont remember leigh being in the ESL 3-4 years ago

M

MrCharisma

Leigh only promoted last year at the expense of Castleford

Great report Peter, good to see another win anda top grade effort by youngster Shenton.

Did you see the punch to the head?

L

Lobo

thanks again hightown tiger, always great to be up to date :grinning: you guys are on fire.

Hightown Tiger

Waterboy
Reaction score
I didn't, and likewise I didn't hear any racist chanting (apart from some Featherstone fans singing 'he's got a pineapple on his head' towards Waine Pryce, which I personally don't think is racist). However, one well respected Castleford fan has made the allegation of the punch.

Heres the allegation: http://www.castigers.com/cgi-bin/showmessage2.cgi?21690

And here's a few decent pics of the game. No pics of Mr Shenton though: http://www.thecastlefordtigers.co.uk/photoalbums.php?action=viewalbum&id=17

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Hey Tigger... are Castleford in the ESL this season or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.