Castleford threatens to steal top Australian stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By James Phelps

October 27, 2007 12:00am

THE exodus of elite Australian players to the UK is set to continue with newly promoted Super League side Castleford poised to launch a multi-million-dollar raid on the NRL.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal that Castleford boss Michael Robinson and his football manager Terry Matterson have landed in Australia, armed with an NRL hit-list which features some of the game's biggest stars.

The club could recruit as many as five Australian players after winning a place in the UK Super League earlier this month with a second division grand final win.

Premiership-winning Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin heads an ambitious hit-list that is also understood to include Brett Hodgson, Danny Buderus, Kirk Reynoldson, Adam Peek, Steve Simpson, Michael Crocker, Mathew Head, Corey Payne and Todd Byrne.

The club has already approached Sherwin's manager Mark Rowan and it will make the playmaker an offer in the coming weeks.
Former Roosters and Broncos back-rower Matterson last night confirmed he was in Australia and on the hunt for "quality" players.

"Mick Robinson has been down there and I am in Brisbane," Matterson said.

"I will be in Sydney next week to catch up with a few of the managers. We are looking for a quality halfback and a couple of back-rowers and outside backs.

"Whether they come from here or in England I am not sure, we will have to have a look."

Matterson would not rule out targeting contracted players, with many NRL contracts including UK get-out clauses.

The NRL has already lost some of the games biggest stars to the Super League this year with grand final heroes Matt King and Michael Monaghan (both Warrington) among the departures.

"I think we have seen this year that there are always going to be players in Australia available," Matterson said.

"I am sure there are some teams that are close to the salary cap and there are always deals to be done. That's what I have to find out."

Matterson confirmed the club is interested in Bulldogs ace Sherwin but he stressed that he would be negotiating with players through the "right channels".

Sherwin still has a year to run on his contract with the Bulldogs.

"Brent has another year of his contract to go with the Bulldogs but we would be willing to talk to him and his club," Matterson said.

"He is an outstanding player but we will go through the right channels with the CEOs first.

"I have just spoken to Bruno Cullen (Brisbane CEO) and they know what we are looking for.

"The game is getting stronger over in the UK and the quality of the players coming over like Shaun Berrigan, Matt King, Michael Monaghan and Trent Barrett, you just didn't have that amount before and they are coming here in their prime.

"It may be a little bit bad for Australia but kids keep on coming through."

High-profile player manager Steve Gillis will be one of the NRL agents who will meet with Matterson on Friday.

"I have spoken to him and they (Castleford) are a very proactive club," Gillis said.

"I am looking forward to catching up with him on Friday. He has made it clear he is looking for the right type of player.

"It shows the club has got a good grasp of what needs to be done and I think they are heading in the right direction.

"They could recruit as many as five players and we will just have a talk about what he is looking for."

Matterson is also expected to meet with other player managers including Rowan, Sam Ayoub and Gavin Orr.

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that out of that list only Buderus would be a huge loss to the Nrl. Hardly a list of superstars, Even Sherwin who has his qualities isn't tht great a half.
I also doubt that Sherwin would leave with a year to go. He is on good dollars here and I doubt that the uk could go much higher for such a player.
I also think he is an Aussie through and through and would miss his family and mates to much

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
grrr wish they signed him up b4 shrek left ffs, then he woulda stayed. ffs release him and put groom/sullivan there

M

MrCharisma

Nikki: lol none of them are really a huge loss to anyone.... Crocker wants to retire soon i think anyway...

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
meh...the way shifty has been playin they may aswell take him...unless he has a deadset blinder next season

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
typical ESL though..poachin our talent...we make em they buy em

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
not suprised that terry is going through with this and is looking to his homeland to find more talent down under.

sure enough there club is back in the ESL after returning to the top in 05 but going back to relegation after a horrible season.

national league one champions again so i think it will make for a good contest and will really test les catalans for them to push as a candidate top 6 team or be cellar dwellars and just go into a division 1 comp.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think this would be a good move for shifty.. his days in the NRL are well and truely over IMO and wont be back to his old form.

He could make some cash up there before his career is over and it would allow the Doggies to try fresh tactics with a new halfback.

DOGG STIEL

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As i have said on this forum on numerous occasions he is going to England in 2009. Ive heard this from the horses mouth ! He will not be letting go of his $450k that he will earn at the Bulldogs in 2008

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As i have said on this forum on numerous occasions he is going to England in 2009. Ive heard this from the horses mouth ! He will not be letting go of his $450k that he will earn at the Bulldogs in 2008
i agree with u mate but i wont rule out a mid season release if he doesnt perform and some player like groom/barba step up next yr and play awsome... so it all depends how sherwin performs next yr but holdsworth i know bulldogs i trying to get rid of him lol his just a waste of money.

triplex11

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I seriously want to stick with Sherwin i think he can still prove himself !

i have heard alote about groom anyone know if there is any clips of him on the net i havent seen him play ? someone said YouTube ?????

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Still though, Castleford... A Club who can barely afford proper Stadium Stands has a Million-Dollar Raid on the National Rugby League. I would of atleast expected it to be Hull FC. I think Castleford should just stick to 2 Aussie Players. They can take Hodgson for sure & since did anyone want Croker lying around over in the NRL. As for Sherwin, he is bound to ove sometime. Maybe Castleford will be his ticket out of the Bulldogs.

makbulldog

Blue & White Blood
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHA, Sherwin got talent, get rid of him..... what talent? He will go over there and play second division, time to breed the youngsters coming through just like every other club is doing.

Top Dogg

BEWARE OF THE DOGS
Reaction score
Sherwin will go over and be one of the best half backs over there. He still has the talent, just as long as he is motivated and got his head in the right place.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they take him..

Remember my call about Sherwin mid-season people ? Now what do people think ?

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sherwin will go over and be one of the best half backs over there. He still has the talent, just as long as he is motivated and got his head in the right place.
Settle down,shifty couldnt steer a tractor in an open paddock let a lone a footy team in any competition,his best days are well and truly behind him.

ps get original and get ur own username u unimaginative prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.