Carlin Isles - worth a risky contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This isn't a rumour, and it sure doesnt seem likely, but would you sign Carlin Isles to a contract & see how he goes?

No idea who Carlin Isles is?

He was in the top 40 100m sprinters in the US in 2012.

What does that kind of speed look like on a RL field? Well here is a *rough* approximation: http://youtu.be/gA5bwqVN5LM

Sevens doesn't give a clear picture, obviously, but if that was him after 12 weeks in rugby, I'd be very temped to see how he looks in blue & white with 12 months training.

Once again, not likely, not a rumour, just a random left field (no pun intended) idea. Thoughts?

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
If he is in the top 40 in the US I'd imagine he'd be on a bit of coin from sponsorships, might not be worth him re-locating his life for $100k a year to play a sport he has little idea about (and probably no passion for).

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's already transitioned from athletics to Sevens, seems to have no further plans for athletics and there is no evidence of sponsorships or contracts, aside from a commitment to play for a Sri Lankan Sevens club/domestic team. If you sign to play rugby for a Sri Lankan club side, to me that certainly shows some interest/determination.

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As for relocating for $100k, it's a fair point that you make, however I can't believe there is a lot of money in domestic Sri Lankan rugby. $100k by comparison could be big biscuits.

Or maybe there is a surprisingly big amount of cash in Sri Lankan rugby?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Big set up from 7s. I personally don't think he can make it in league. Is perfectly suited for 7s though as there is so much space. Only position in league where he would see that much space is fullback. And I doubt he has the skill, endurance or awareness to play fullback.

Reminds me a bit of brett howland. Quick player, hopeless under the high ball and unless was in open space his speed was nullified. Ended up being one of the dud buys of the dogs.

The thing is 100m sprinters are not known for their endurance. I would be surprised if he gets through a 7s tournament without subbing off (if he had to play 3-4 games in a day).

If you did want to get someone from athletics you would best get a 400m sprinter who has speed and endurance. And also top 40 sprinters in USA would probably mean outside the top 150 in the world.

He is refectory suited for 7s shame he plays for a minnow nation like USA. Would have been a sensation for Australia.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ps when I saw the thread I though it said/was about chad isles..... :p

Lol. Almost had a heart attack and a sever brain haemorrhage :p

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You're almost certainly right, logic dictates it would be very difficult/highly unlikely.After I saw his YouTube Sevens highlights, I perhaps got a little carried away by the raw pace on offer.

Resume normal service! Anyone got a Ben Barba rumour they feel compelled to post? :P

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You're almost certainly right, logic dictates it would be very difficult/highly unlikely.After I saw his YouTube Sevens highlights, I perhaps got a little carried away by the raw pace on offer.

Resume normal service! Anyone got a Ben Barba rumour they feel compelled to post? :P
Barba is a 50% chance of staying :grinning:

I can confirm this 100%. I can't name my source though :p

If he did want a career in footy he should come and try out for a rugby/league team.

If 7s is anything like t20 cricket then I am sure he can float around and play for several teams/comps around the world. Probably can make more money then being a top 40 US sprinter.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he is currently working on transitioning into playing the 15-a-side game.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He is a natural athlete no doubt, he has the skills and what not but just needs to be taught our game.

It might be hard for him since he hasn't played our game since he was a kid but take people like Marika Koroibete, he only started playing league when he was 19 and is coming along very nicely.

It MIGHT be worth the risk since speed like that is extremely useful.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ps when I saw the thread I though it said/was about chad isles..... :p

Lol. Almost had a heart attack and a sever brain haemorrhage :p
lol I forgot about this bloke and your love for him as a first grade player ;)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lol I forgot about this bloke and your love for him as a first grade player ;)
Yeh good old chad isles. The guy gave me convulsion with his playing ability.

I shouldn't be too hard on him because I am sure he was a great bloke but hopefully he has a fall back career because football wasnt it for him :p

He disappeared without a trace. Came from nowhere and left just as fast.

I am so relieved when I see a reserve grade team with romelo and Keating in the halves. So much better then isles.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
Thread after Thread. **Headache after Headache** What Next??

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thread after Thread. **Headache after Headache** What Next??
?? Whats your problem?? Has there been an explosion of people making suggestions to poach Sevens players with elite sprinting pedigree??

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Watch his youtube clips. He has speed on him.

Plays rugby 7;s

Status
Not open for further replies.