CAREER CHANGE - Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a pity they don't play at be more anymore, cause you could have slowed down like they did years ago

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I may be my sons hero now. This came from his daycare

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had some good years with the old SRA NSW. From apprenticeship to tradie. Left 1997 Dec. Would definitely be a different culture now.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Devoting your life to the Government shift work is a big step, you become an employee number and the property of.
Great money but you don't always get to go out and spend it, but when you do its whoo hoo!

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi guys, naah not me on BF1, thinking about getting it though.

P.S. Sorry for not being around, the hours are kicking my bum at the moment, The last week I have had to be at either Mortdale or Cronulla by 5am. Good fun...

But that said, LOVING every second of the job so far.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok @Ecca my train-driving brother. I have another 3 questions for you.

1. A couple of days ago I was at Museum Station and saw a mother holding a little kid. The mother waved her little kids hand at the train driver. The driver looked like he cbf'd at all, but waved back. No smile or anything like that. Is there an "unwritten rule" of sort for the train drivers to wave back at all who wave at them?

2. Yesterday, I'm sure this was the first time I've ever had this, we have a "Driver Announcement" - so we all hear the guard announcements but this guy was the driver - and that's what it said on the flashboard inside the carriage too. He said his name was Aaron. Sounded like a good bloke - apologised for the train being late (even though it wasn't). Why don't drivers make announcements more often? In my 14 years of catching a train this is how long it took for me to hear one.

3. Where do you drivers start your shifts, a different train station everyday or what's the go? I mean when the train finishes for the day, does it park at one station and the next morning whoever is on shift start up from that station?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok @Ecca my train-driving brother. I have another 3 questions for you.

1. A couple of days ago I was at Museum Station and saw a mother holding a little kid. The mother waved her little kids hand at the train driver. The driver looked like he cbf'd at all, but waved back. No smile or anything like that. Is there an "unwritten rule" of sort for the train drivers to wave back at all who wave at them?

2. Yesterday, I'm sure this was the first time I've ever had this, we have a "Driver Announcement" - so we all hear the guard announcements but this guy was the driver - and that's what it said on the flashboard inside the carriage too. He said his name was Aaron. Sounded like a good bloke - apologised for the train being late (even though it wasn't). Why don't drivers make announcements more often? In my 14 years of catching a train this is how long it took for me to hear one.

3. Where do you drivers start your shifts, a different train station everyday or what's the go? I mean when the train finishes for the day, does it park at one station and the next morning whoever is on shift start up from that station?

Hey Brother, will do my best to answer.

1) There is no rule written or unwritten to my knowledge, but to me, it is one of the highlights of my day, A Big Smile and a Wave, the kids just love it. To be honest, there is a lot of concentration needed when stopping at a platform, and as such, sometimes you miss the kids waving, but I certainly do my best.

2) Drivers Announcements....... To make an announcement we have to pick up a handset (similar to an old land line phone), press a couple of buttons, and speak. Honestly, I am focused on moving and stopping the train, making sure not to speed and not to run a red light, that that additional task may be the final distraction needed land me in serious trouble, as such, I am happy to not do it. When I am a bit more experienced, I may do it one day.

3) I am based at Central, so I start there, that said, I may be required to travel (By train) to another location to relieve my first train of the day. When a train is not needed, we stable it, this is done in a Yard or Maintenance centre. Then when needed they are prepared by the train crew and brought into service.

P.S. I recently completed my training and am now a qualified driver (NOW THAT IS SCARY)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hey Brother, will do my best to answer.

1) There is no rule written or unwritten to my knowledge, but to me, it is one of the highlights of my day, A Big Smile and a Wave, the kids just love it. To be honest, there is a lot of concentration needed when stopping at a platform, and as such, sometimes you miss the kids waving, but I certainly do my best.

2) Drivers Announcements....... To make an announcement we have to pick up a handset (similar to an old land line phone), press a couple of buttons, and speak. Honestly, I am focused on moving and stopping the train, making sure not to speed and not to run a red light, that that additional task may be the final distraction needed land me in serious trouble, as such, I am happy to not do it. When I am a bit more experienced, I may do it one day.

3) I am based at Central, so I start there, that said, I may be required to travel (By train) to another location to relieve my first train of the day. When a train is not needed, we stable it, this is done in a Yard or Maintenance centre. Then when needed they are prepared by the train crew and brought into service.

P.S. I recently completed my training and am now a qualified driver (NOW THAT IS SCARY)
Oh man that's awesome news, congrats brother :D

It must've taken you 10 months as you mentioned earlier - I can't believe how fast the time has gone.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just on 11 months, yeah, it has screamed by.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_5824.PNG
Is this the one you got? Advertised not long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.