Opinion Captain josh Jackson.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love all he has done for us, and he has served us well and nothing but respect for him. But imho he has to be the worst captain we have had since I can remember. Since he has taken over in 2018, yes we have had a lot of turn over of players and we have been shit. But I just wanna know how much does the players really look up to him or respect him? Honestly I wanna know, because to me the players seem like they don’t really care much as what he has to say. Especially when he has them in a huddle and he is try to inspire them or lay down the law, I’ve never seen a reaction from them and most of them don’t even look at him. Sadly I really do think his a big problem at the joint and he has worn thin and he almost looks emotionally drained and emotionless after each loss, like this loosing culture has become apart of him. Again hate and sad to say it we need to either tap him and move him on or strip him from captain and reduce his role and start him on the bench, and I’ve noticed the last two years his discipline with giving away penalties and 6 agains are really high for a captain who should be setting a good example for the other plays, and almost every time he try’s to argue or explain something to the refs he gets shut down and just walks away with a dumb look on his face.

I know he has been discussed a lot lately but genuine thoughts I ask with respect to him what are your thoughts.

boysunleashme

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My opinion is he is our best defender, would you get rid of our best attacker?

Tonight he was the only one that did quick play the balls and you know what it led to two try’s off the back of them, but nobody will acknowledge this so I won’t bother continuing.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think he's that big of a problem in the middle as long as he isn't playing as a ball player. I think there are plenty of other problems before I get to Jackson being a problem. If the coach selects Jackson in the second row that's his fault imo. If Finucane was in our team he'd cop that same criticism.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Love all he has done for us, and he has served us well and nothing but respect for him. But imho he has to be the worst captain we have had since I can remember. Since he has taken over in 2018, yes we have had a lot of turn over of players and we have been shit. But I just wanna know how much does the players really look up to him or respect him? Honestly I wanna know, because to me the players seem like they don’t really care much as what he has to say. Especially when he has them in a huddle and he is try to inspire them or lay down the law, I’ve never seen a reaction from them and most of them don’t even look at him. Sadly I really do think his a big problem at the joint and he has worn thin and he almost looks emotionally drained and emotionless after each loss, like this loosing culture has become apart of him. Again hate and sad to say it we need to either tap him and move him on or strip him from captain and reduce his role and start him on the bench, and I’ve noticed the last two years his discipline with giving away penalties and 6 agains are really high for a captain who should be setting a good example for the other plays, and almost every time he try’s to argue or explain something to the refs he gets shut down and just walks away with a dumb look on his face.

I know he has been discussed a lot lately but genuine thoughts I ask with respect to him what are your thoughts.
Sadly agree.
He is a broken captain, and player, and is paying the price of the heavy toll our losing culture has had on him.

It would be doing him a favour to relieve him of the burden of captaincy bc he looks like he's given all he has to give atm and its very uninspiring for the club.

boysunleashme

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Doesn't even dispute ref calls. I've never seen him have a go at the refs.
I’ve never seen “having a go at refs” achieve anything, they are stubborn fucks, plus he did it rd 1 this year at halftime and many people on here thought thats why we won the match

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not blaming Josh.. hes consistent.. but all the really good locks these days need to be able to ball play.. Yeo Murray Radley etc

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

He needs to get in the refs faces and tell them that he ain't going to cop there shit. Seriously he needs to dispute there decisions and stand his ground and show the clowns that we won't tolerate there shit.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Good guy, speaks well, decent footy iq with excellent leadership skills off the field. He definitely has a career after footy in the NRL. It's just a shame that his appointment came at the 'back end' of his career; i.e when he was doing nothing. Gone are the days when our club captain was a current or regular rep player. How would he go in a star studded side?

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He really needs to step down as captain. Honestly hope Gus gives him the flick. We need new leadership in order to progress into a new era at the club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He really needs to step down as captain. Honestly hope Gus gives him the flick. We need new leadership in order to progress into a new era at the club.
We need to sign leaders/characters, Reed coming next year, need a lot more. Outside Jackson and JAC no leadership in this team.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

100%. Did the Tigers yesterday, especially their edge defence get intimidated when they saw Jackson or even pub crawler Stimpson run at them? Yet, we made Garner look like Paul Sironen last night!
Our dumb arse forwards led by Jackson (with the exception of TPJ) don’t run into holes, they prefer to run straight at the opposition.
We got smashed in the 1st half with penalties, where was Jackson questioning the bloody ref over the one sided count?
When the horror combination of Averdildo & HMAS Knockonbur allowed 3 tries in the first half with barely a finger laid on them Tigers, where was Jackson walking over to give them 2 a f{}cking rev up?
Jackson’s a major part of the issues at Belmore, yes he leads the way in training etc… but on the field he offers nothing but a being a tackling machine!

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Going into the season which bog average player should have been captain ahead of him?

He’s surrounded by shit and it’s worn him down.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A captain usually leads by example, and yes he can tackle. But as for attack - when was the last time you’ve heard a commentator get excited by a run by Jackson? A long time ago. Also why is he not getting into his players (when needed) during games? I also question why doesn’t he question Referees when things don’t make sense. I think it’s time the team needs a new leader, way too quiet on the field with words. He looks like he’s ok with another loss, and forgotten what it feels like to win. Overall he seems like a great bloke, but might last longer in our club if he reduces his role. Then he can go back to focussing on his own game.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think it’s a combination.

I say this first. The blokes a warrior. He’s bled an clearly loved this club with his heart. He’s stuck with us through absolute rubbish and wasted 5 years of his prime.

Though that has clearly taken its toll. His body has started to regress along with the game changing to a faster style that he just simply isn’t able to be elite in anymore.

He has been mentally broken in the consistent horse shit served up on field by arguably 85% of the “first graders” he’s played with over the last half a decade.

He doesn’t have it in him anymore to remotely be that captain like Jammer or Ennis did. They where firey passionate. Jackson never had that verbal spray they did. He doesn’t even appear to have a fucking furious look.

Though I think it’s also because he’s mentally cooked and broken there.

He certainly now on field is nothing more than a tackling machine. The game plan has been clear for all to see never remotely suited him. He isn’t yeo and never was. He is a smaller finucane as others said tough as Fucking anyone on the field and will give it his all but he’s not a ball player, he’s not a great edge (any more, he use to run some good lines) though age, speed of game, roster has taken that.

I agree 100% he is not who we need as captain anymore. He shouldn’t of been extended to the length he was as it’s just another case of we put the player above the club.

Jackson never has done that in my opinion as I said I’d never question his love for the dogs and loyalty. Hopefully he knows and sees it too and decides it’s time end of this year to either head to uk and enjoy some time there while collecting a mint for a few years. The nrl won’t give him more then minimum the coming years I wouldn’t imagine and he only has 1 left on big $. Go get a 3 year deal in uk on big $ and enjoy parts of the world and maybe starting fresh to end your career happy.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nobody in The Kennel will ever suggest that he's not a nice bloke or that he isn't respected.

And similarly, most in The Kennel will agree that he is defensively a rock. But then again, so was Two-Metre-Tolman, and there's something to be said about players who by and large stifle attack. He has his moments here and there, and never shies away from doing the hard yards or the mid-field runs.

But I'm prepared to lose his starch in favour of some young, able, big-bodied enthusiastic lad who can ball play or at least take every run as though it's the first hit up of a grand final.

Jacko is bench material at best. Bring him on if the middle looks to be a bit shaky or fatigued.