Canterbury Road

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok so surely there are a few people around here who use the major thoroughfare that links Sydney's South-West to the Inner-West?

What the hell is going on with this street? In 2014, the State Government scraps the tar off this road from Canterbury to... Bankstown? Not entirely sure how far they went. But what gives? Are they going to keep this road a concrete-scrapped heap? Were they not going to re-tar it? Are our car tyres meant to be going over this crap all the time?

I heard in 2014 that they were going to re-tar until we got something like 4-5 weeks or rain meaning the project had to go on hold. So what now??

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Same could be said about parts of the Cumberland and Great Western Highways that have been sitting scrapped for more than a decade...

Also Parramatta Road will never be able to be fixed once that new toll goes up

Truth is road surfacing and making isn't cheap in Australia at all lmao and that only a few companies are around in Sydney who mostly just contracted, also the roads are not suited to what actually drives on the them...

The 20-45ton loaded boggies, truck and dogs on the roads everywhere now aren't helping keeping the roads in good shape

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Do other countries have the same issues with roads? Why aren't we using the same stuff they are then?

Our major arterial roads in NSW are fucked because we've allowed population expansion and high rise / multi story apartments without any forethought into the road infrastructure. Out in Sydneys North West people don't have an option but to drive as rail and bus links are rather shithouse (bus is betting better and NW Rail Link currently under construction).

Even so it's a while off yet.

Qld have the right idea... if you want to put in a large development you only get approval once you part pay towards the road infrastructure being upgraded to handle the additional traffic.

• Centenary Drive (and surrounds), Windsor/Old Windsor Rd, Great Western Highway, Parramatta / Victoria Rd, Pennant Hills Rd, Cumberland Highway are all struggling under constant high traffic load.
  • M4 and M5 Motorways are a joke at the best of time. Add in roadworks and it's chaos.
  • M2 during peak hour is a car park.
  • Citybound towards Harbour Bridge is a car park in peak hour too.
  • James Ruse Drive struggles too.
I do welcome the new ideas (toll on M4 should NEVER have been removed - who thought that was a good idea!?!?!), tunnel connecting M1 and M2, and M4 to ??? and M5 to ???... but its too much too late.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do other countries have the same issues with roads?
Yep. Everyone has the same issues as us. The only way to really get it right is with good planning during the initial construction. If you can predict how many people you'll have in a city for the coming decades then you can plan accordingly. Unfortunately towns aren't built this way. They're built based on what they need at the time. As population levels rise the infrastructure needs to be adjusted but to make any real changes then you need to give up land which requires buying out hundreds of thousands of houses to add more infrastructure. To fix the old infrastructure you need to shut down roads which causes more congestion.

Sydney gets it the worst because we were one of the first Australian towns. We set the example on how not to build a town.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I understand these are massive, expensive projects. What I do not understand is why they would start on something, stall for over 3 years (and counting) and not start on the 2nd phase of it. Furthermore, they should've allocated funds for this in 2014. It sure as heck would've been a lot cheaper than doing it years down the track FFS.

The way the road was before the scraping would've been fine.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand these are massive, expensive projects. What I do not understand is why they would start on something, stall for over 3 years (and counting) and not start on the 2nd phase of it. The way the road was before the scraping would've been fine.
Probably a change of government or change in governmental departments caused a change to the project. The initial project would be to strip the road then re-tar. After stripping the road there was likely a change where they decided to carry out a full upgrade instead. But the upgrade project needs to pass all stages before it can go ahead so in the mean time they're left with a shitty road.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry I should have clarified.. I mean do other countries have problems with road surfaces constantly having issues.

A good downpour and our roads turn into potholed minefields it seems.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry I should have clarified.. I mean do other countries have problems with road surfaces constantly having issues.

A good downpour and our roads turn into potholed minefields it seems.
It depends on the climate. Rain and heat are terrible for roads. The moisture absorbs into the road then expands in the heat resulting in pot holes and warping.

We have it lucky though. When we were in California there was heavy traffic in LA because a sink hole popped up on one of the main highways and collapsed half the highway.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand these are massive, expensive projects. What I do not understand is why they would start on something, stall for over 3 years (and counting) and not start on the 2nd phase of it. The way the road was before the scraping would've been fine.
Because our governments especially liberals cut back on planned stuff or ruin it all to save some money on a false budget they come out with to scare people lmao...

M4 would of been done right if the liberals didn't screw it up, the nbn, schools, hospitals and other infrastructure to give examples they have ruined to save some money

Wahesh

Reaction score
Pennant hills rd, makes Canterbury rd look like an autobahn.
So Pennant Hills road makes Canterbury road look like a shop? Not sure what to make of that :|

Wahesh

Reaction score
Lmao, not into cars I see?
Autobarn - our former sponsors :D

I'm into cars, just not as much as I was in my younger "street tuner" days :tearsofjoy:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Bump

I started a thread a year earlier than this one giving the award to South West drivers as Sydney's worst!

@Wolfmother agrees and so do all my family who live in the south west.

All of Sydney is a joke. Yesterday what should of been 10 minute drive to work turned into half an hour.

I almost had to drive to Wetherill park to get to eastern creek.

Imo it was a short sighted major fuck up to build the M7 and not expand the great western highway at minchinbury.

If you look at a map of Concord you can see the old horse cart lane on Patterson road would of made a fine addition to the west connex.

If I were an engineer and was around to plan the M4. My proposal would of been to rezone Concord and 5 dock to extend the m4.

Although back then there was no Anzac bridge to cross over.

Brycycles94

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't affect the hookers' trade.
Get in quick fellas there going at half price. Drive slow wait for the dust to settle otherwise you may pick a hooker you regret. This is how they picked up lichaa now the club has their own herpe they can't get rid off. Go back down there and pick a better hooker lichaa doesn't cut it.