News Canterbury put Mad Monday drama behind them, securing $4.2 million in shirt sponsorship

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Kia, M & J Chickens and Ladbrokes - when that shit is removed from our jerseys, THEN I will be happy!

Wahesh

Reaction score
It has been an extraordinary financial fight back from Canterbury since players were photographed by The Daily Telegraph naked and vomiting in the streets.
... And they just couldn't help themselves, they had to have another dig at us at the end of what would've been a completely positive article.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im a bit confused. isnt it illegal for the club to organise 3rd party sponsors?
I don't think it's illegal as in breaking the law. Just not part of the NRL rules.
How is the NRL going to know if clubs in the NRL organise TPAs for players?
I'm sure they all do that, how do you police something like that.

But yes, the correct way is for sponsors that have no affliation with the club to sponsor the player directly and not through the club.
This is my understanding, but I'm open for correction if someone knows the exact rules?
Also, if it is against the rules of the NRL for clubs to get involved, why should it matter if someone within the club helped find a third party sponsor for a particular player.
Can someone shed some light on this please?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nice.... are there any TPAs coming to players along with that sponsorship though?

Sharks should just use their many companies to sponsor them.. maybe Rothfield can pull some strings.
Get over it! They are giving the club a lot of coin for the privilege.
One is a shit car company, the other is a drug addiction that tears families apart, and the other should deadset be sponsoring the Roosters!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
One is a shit car company, the other is a drug addiction that tears families apart, and the other should deadset be sponsoring the Roosters!
KIA is a multinational stable company that you’ll never have to worry about not having money. I see your point on Ladbrokes but at the end of the day it’s legal and the club survives the same way through the Leagues Club. How old are you if you think a chicken company has to sponser the Roosters? So should we only be looking at bulldog related sponsors......

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
KIA is a multinational stable company that you’ll never have to worry about not having money. I see your point on Ladbrokes but at the end of the day it’s legal and the club survives the same way through the Leagues Club. How old are you if you think a chicken company has to sponser the Roosters? So should we only be looking at bulldog related sponsors......
Chicken is high in protein. I love Chicken...lol

Wahesh

Reaction score
Not having money - real mature argument there.

Regarding M&J... don't you think they'd be better of supporting a team that bears the animal they are known for? As for us... wouldn't this logo look better on our jersey?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not having money - real mature argument there.

Regarding M&J... don't you think they'd be better of supporting a team that bears the animal they are known for? As for us... wouldn't this logo look better on our jersey?

How is it immature? The sharks have had several sponsors go into receivership and clubs haven’t been paid. That’s never going to be a problem with KIA

It’s ironic you say my argument is immature when you want to base a sponsership on matching mascots.....

Wahesh

Reaction score
How is it immature? The sharks have had several sponsors go into receivership and clubs haven’t been paid. That’s never going to be a problem with KIA

It’s ironic you say my argument is immature when you want to base a sponsership on matching mascots.....
:| My apologies. When you said "KIA is a multinational stable company that you’ll never have to worry about not having money." I thought you were having a dig at me not having money... as in I'll never have to worry about having a Kia because I don't have money to buy one :tearsofjoy:

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw Johnson getting paraded around in a Sharks jersey on the news tonight and there isn’t a single sponsor on it! It shows how much a bottom feeding club that joint really is.
I wonder how there going to pay him

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder how there going to pay him
Shouldn't confuse the Leagues Club (which has some short term financial difficulties) with the Football Club (which is flush).

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't confuse the Leagues Club (which has some short term financial difficulties) with the Football Club (which is flush).

Go Dogs
They both aren’t doing well. The Sharks football club is far from flush.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think it's illegal as in breaking the law. Just not part of the NRL rules.
How is the NRL going to know if clubs in the NRL organise TPAs for players?
I'm sure they all do that, how do you police something like that.

But yes, the correct way is for sponsors that have no affliation with the club to sponsor the player directly and not through the club.
This is my understanding, but I'm open for correction if someone knows the exact rules?
Also, if it is against the rules of the NRL for clubs to get involved, why should it matter if someone within the club helped find a third party sponsor for a particular player.
Can someone shed some light on this please?
TPA's are not allowed to be included in the player's contract with their club.
Player contracts are registered with the NRL.
To help prevent a repeat of the Storm "2 contracts" fiasco, the NRL has the right to compare the contract that the player has with the registered contract.
The NRL reviews all player contracts and is entitled to audit them against actual payments made.
The 3rd parties are not allowed to use any of the club's intellectual property ie; no logos in their adds.
TPA's have to be registered with the NRL and they are also audited for compliance.
Payments have be direct from the 3rd party to the player ie; not via the club.

Obviously the above doesn't stop brown paper bag payments. Or Impolites from convincing his best mate (who isn't a Chook's sponsor) to enter into a TPA with some Kronk.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
TPA's are not allowed to be included in the player's contract with their club.
Player contracts are registered with the NRL.
To help prevent a repeat of the Storm "2 contracts" fiasco, the NRL has the right to compare the contract that the player has with the registered contract.
The NRL reviews all player contracts and is entitled to audit them against actual payments made.
The 3rd parties are not allowed to use any of the club's intellectual property ie; no logos in their adds.
TPA's have to be registered with the NRL and they are also audited for compliance.
Payments have be direct from the 3rd party to the player ie; not via the club.

Obviously the above doesn't stop brown paper bag payments. Or Impolites from convincing his best mate (who isn't a Chook's sponsor) to enter into a TPA with some Kronk.

Go Dogs
Thanks for that Twin Turbo.

Yeh, so the club can actually find a TPA for one of their players(off the record) and no one will ever know the club was invloved in linking the player up with the sponsor. As long as the sponsor is not linked to the club(e.g not using club logo's and payments made direct to the player)

I'm sure 99% of the time the clubs arrange these without anyone knowing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not every company wants to sponsor, or has an interest in sponsoring sporting teams.

KIA - multinational car company who sponsor multiple sporting teams/codes.

Ladbrokes
- I don't agree with any betting companies sponsoring teams, and it should be banned like alcohol and tobacco sponsorship.

M&J Chickens
- Have sponsored the club long term. Steggles would never allow comeptition to sponsor the Roosters as it's a conflict of interest, and Steggles would bring a shitload of money to their club. Plus I'm pretty sure one of their board members is involved with Steggles.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Get over it! They are giving the club a lot of coin for the privilege.
Agree. They pay for it. As much as I think the Kia logo should be blue coz it clashes a lot with the jersey, we should be happy to have their sponsorship.