Canterbury promise to hunt down world’s best young league talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
UNABLE to sign a marquee player for the next two to three seasons due to their salary cap debacle, Canterbury will embark on a worldwide hunt for the most promising juniors playing rugby league and rugby union.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Bulldogs will pursue youngsters across Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, France, Samoa, England and Fiji.

Bulldogs director and football club committee member Chris Anderson said of the club’s salary cap horrors: “We have inherited a mess.”

Kids will be told there is an opportunity at one of the world’s most famous rugby league clubs. Anderson even joked he was searching in Russia.

“We are looking everywhere mate, anywhere where kids play rugby or rugby league. We want to say to these kids that there is opportunity at Canterbury,” Anderson said.

“We need to cast our net as wide as we can and try and come up with the best kids in the positions we need. There is opportunity for kids, who in two to three years want to be first graders.

“It is opportunity in a family and once we get you here, we will invite you into what the family is all about; try and get you to have that feel about the club and really love what the club is about.

“Really, we don’t want to be a club that is buying marquee players, maybe one a year when you get your cap where you want it, to keep it rolling over, and then you fill in the rest with development kids.

“We’d like to produce our own marquee players.

“I did this with ‘Bullfrog’ (legendary Bulldogs secretary Peter Moore) in the ‘70s and I am annoying the shit out of people now, chasing blokes and asking a thousand questions.

“We can build our culture around these kids. If you get established stars, it’s hard to build a culture but with kids, you can build them into your culture. By the time they are in first grade, they love the club.

“We have gone and got the best kids before – we got Dean Pay as a kid, Jason Smith as a kid. Craig Polla-Mounter, Jason Hetherington, they were kids we got from school and we developed them. That’s the type of club that we are.

“The great thing is this is a club that can give kids opportunities. Other clubs like the Broncos, it’s hard for kids to get a shot because they have so many established stars.”

Canterbury this week let Aaron Woods join Cronulla, a week after Moses Mbye left for Wests Tigers.

Their departures mean Canterbury will now target kids and possibly middle-tier players.

“We can’t go chasing established stars at the moment. When I took over (as coach in 1990), we only had six or seven players left so we decided to go and chase kids,” Anderson said.

“We are getting back to the roots of what Canterbury is about and has been. We are a development club that for the last six or seven years has forgotten about development. There is a bit of a void there.

“We need to get back to being a development club; kids on the edge of first grade who are coming through.

“The club is out there busily chasing kids and building up our stock of good kids – there are plenty of good kids out there. We just need to make sure we get out there and get our share. It will be a couple of years before we are looking at marquee players.”

Canterbury has well-documented salary cap issues with Anderson saying they are simply top-heavy in certain positions. He also claimed his club was realistically hoping to finish in the top eight next season.

“Obviously we have salary cap problems – we have inherited a mess,” Anderson said. “We have eased some it by getting rid of Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods – as much as you don’t want to let good players go.

“The fact we had nowhere to move on the salary cap made it necessary for us to move blokes who can be moved on, unfortunately.

“We just had too much money spent in areas positionally that weren’t being productive for us so we couldn’t spend it in the right areas. We’ve got a lot of money tied up in certain positions that are making it hard for us to build an overall team.

“I think next year if we can get it right, we will be towards the bottom of the eight – that’s a realistic thing to aim for next year, if things fall how we want them to fall.

“We’re back in the market now to an extent. Not big-time but back in the market to try and fix up a few areas where we need to fix up.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/b2a07f393df2a571e635bc590bd332b4

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be bad that we can’t do any recruitment.

I say we just let everyone go and build from scratch.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Must be bad that we can’t do any recruitment.

I say we just let everyone go and build from scratch.
I would not rule that out, I think they are determined to get us back as a top club again and hopefully we may unearth some exiting talent without the big dosh. Good to hear.

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fuck yeah that's what we need to be doing!. Bring it

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone but klemmer. If we lose him I'm gonna be very pissed
Mate if klemmer is on a mill a year, I say cut him.

Sounds ruthless, but a halfback/5 8 are hard to find. And klemmer is hardly Jason tomololo , aka break a game open. We should recycle those funds and just go for the best around.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A tonne of good young talent gets developed by clubs only to be pouched by another club as they start to find their feet in first grade. We can't rely on what worked in the 70's. Meaningful Contracts and loyalty are gone.
Yes agree but I would rather have a dozen young kids and have a few go than have what we have now. A few off those kids will become loyal and want to play for the club that gave them a start.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A tonne of good young talent gets developed by clubs only to be pouched by another club as they start to find their feet in first grade. We can't rely on what worked in the 70's. Meaningful Contracts and loyalty are gone.
Look at the Panthers though they develop so many players that if they lose a few it doesn’t bother them. Hopefully we can get to that stage.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Back to the future!
There are no two ways about it, Canterbury was probably the best "nursery" club for young and up and coming players and there's no reason why we can't be again.
If we do it right we could be in for another, "1980s!"
Fingers crossed...
For sure like what there saying

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As others have said we can't rely on what worked in the 80's and 90's alone. A lot of things have changed in the game since those times.

Yes, find and develop talent but we need established players around them to help. An established player with the right attitude will buy into the culture, like players that came to the club in 09.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Look at the Panthers though they develop so many players that if they lose a few it doesn’t bother them. Hopefully we can get to that stage.
I guess that’s the plan.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
With all the crap going on i personally think this is very exciting, we may find some Gun players aka addo car etc!! You just never know, good on the club for taking it to a wide search . It’s what’s needed!!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate if klemmer is on a mill a year, I say cut him.

Sounds ruthless, but a halfback/5 8 are hard to find. And klemmer is hardly Jason tomololo , aka break a game open. We should recycle those funds and just go for the best around.

I disagree. He's a local junior who busts is behind out there and puts in 110% week in week out, might not be a player to build a team around but he is easily one of top 5 props in the game. But that's just my opinion.

Besides, no one actually knows what he's on, besides the club and his manager

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can we get Simonsson back from Rugby? That'd be a start.

Reactions: DT

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess that’s the plan.
There’s a lot of things that have to happen between now and then but it would be awesome to get back to the days when you could see genuine NRL players coming through the ranks. It was pretty exciting back in the day seeing a player like Roy Asotasi for example coming through the grades and dominate at each level then be confident he would kill it in the NRL.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It will be good to see us develop some talented youngsters. And then see them poached by the roosters when they peak

Status
Not open for further replies.