Canterbury players happy to have Josh Reynolds back on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...511711807?sv=90e79d446f5ffc60b6c98a88739c6788

Canterbury players are glad Josh Reynolds is finally back, with his brain explosions or not.

For an NRL team on the verge of finals football, with two of their spine missing for the biggest game of the season so far, the return of Reynolds, the man they affectionately call Grub, is like Christmas in September. He’s missed 10 weeks this year.

“We really need him,” said young forward Shaun Lane, who came in when injured veteran Tony Williams tore his pectoral muscle in round 11.

“Trent (Hodkinson) is a massive loss for us,” winger Curtis Rona said. “He’s steered the shop so well. We’ll miss him big time. But in saying that, Grub is back from injury and really eager to get out on the field. Every time he pulls on that Bulldogs jersey he’ll give 110 per cent.”

Along with the likes of Rona, the second-highest try scorer in the NRL this year, and hooker Damien Cook, Lane will be playing *finals for the first time.

Halves Moses Mbye and Reynolds played in last year’s grand final, although Mbye was at No 9 for the injured Michael Ennis.

Josh Morris played in last year’s decider on one leg after picking up a serious knee ligament injury with the Blues in State of Origin.

He’s not only glad to be fit, he’s over the moon Reynolds and Mbye get a game together against the Warriors on Sunday before leading the team into the finals.

“It would be helpful for Grub and Moses to get that,” Morris said. “One of them has to be the chief playmaker. I’m sure Des has spoken to them throughout the week about what their roles are and who is the dominant one when the other takes a back seat.

“They’re looking all right.”

Reynolds has played only 14 matches this year due to injury and suspension. He has been criticised for having brain snaps by trying something out of the ordinary on the field that earns a penalty or has him on report.

“Josh is a competitor,” Morris said. “You’d rather have one of them in your side than a bloke who does his job half the time.

“When Grub runs out, he gives 100 per cent but sometimes it does go the wrong way.

“No one is doubting his ability and his role in this team.

“He’s had a frustrating year ... but he’s really looking forward to this weekend.”

And Morris is keen to get out there after limping into the finals 12 months ago.

“It was a difficult time last year struggling with that knee and knowing every game I wasn’t quite right. I was pretty much running out there defensively, just trying to do my part for the team.

“This year my attack has come a long way from where it was a year ago. I feel very dangerous with the ball in my hands. So certainly it’s a different mindset leading into this finals series.”

Rona, on 21 tries, has one more match to try to beat Parramatta’s Semi Radradra (22) for the most tries in 2015.

“It would be a great achievement to be top tryscorer,” Rona said. “But I’d substitute the try for a win.”

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to see Rona get top try scorer, geez you would think he bags at least a double this wk and hope semi gets none

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year my attack has come a long way from where it was a year ago. I feel very dangerous with the ball in my hands. So certainly it’s a different mindset leading into this finals series.”

did is anyone else laugh at this comment lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully Raiders defence shuts down Radarrardaradrardradarraradaaaaaaaaa like Sharks did last week (limiting him to only 1 try).

Rona should be able to get at least one... but I'd love to see him get a hat trick on the weekend and break the tryscoring record of 23 tries in a regular season by Vagana (2002 yet we came wooden spoon) and Barba (2011).

If I was a Warriors winger I'd totally let him reach that milestone!!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully Raiders defence shuts down Radarrardaradrardradarraradaaaaaaaaa like Sharks did last week (limiting him to only 1 try).

Rona should be able to get at least one... but I'd love to see him get a hat trick on the weekend and break the tryscoring record of 23 tries in a regular season by Vagana (2002 yet we came wooden spoon) and Barba (2011).

If I was a Warriors winger I'd totally let him reach that milestone!!
I have no idea who vagana is but my word predictor keeps trying to correct the name Lol

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nigel vagana, was a good centre of ours who knew how to score a try, I'm pretty sure he got 4 or 5 in the one game against South's one night, He was a freak on his day

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL Wolfie..

Vagana holds the joint club record of 5 tries in a single game.

Most tries in a match
Edgar Newham (5) - Aug 15th, 1942 - vs. Balmain
Nigel Vagana (5) - Apr 5th, 2002 - vs. South Sydney

Vagana is his day was an absolute gun. Like Steve Matai but rarely injured.

These days he's a Rugby League Education and Welfare Officer. Still loves the Dogs too!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have no idea who vagana is but my word predictor keeps trying to correct the name Lol
When did you start following the Dogs? When Ennis joined? Lol

I can't believe you don't know who Vagana is.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh The good old vagana days, one of my favourites he was a freak, wish he retired with us

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure she mentioned she's only a new bulldogs supporter so probably wasn't around in his time

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nigel vagana, was a good centre of ours who knew how to score a try, I'm pretty sure he got 4 or 5 in the one game against South's one night, He was a freak on his day
So glad I was at that game and if Im not mistaken I think it was matty utai debut game for us also

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he is fit and ready to go as we will need what he can offer, also hope he has been working on his kicking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.