Canterbury (NSW) Cup - Round 13 - Team and Game Discussion

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Round 13 - Bulldogs vs Sea Eagles
Sunday 9th June 1:10pm @ Belmore Sports Ground
Broadcast live via: Ch9 / 9Now (Streamed Online)
Game Link: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2019/round-13/bulldogs-v-sea-eagles/

BULLDOGS TEAM (UPDATED TUESDAY)

1. Toa Mata'afa > replaces > Connelly Lemuelu
2. Tui Katoa
3. Morgan Harper
4. Connelly Lemuelu > replaces > Kerrod Holland (injured MCL)
5. John Olive > replaces > Isaiah Tass
6. Fa'amanu Brown
7. Lachlan Lewis
8. Francis Tualau
9. Michael Lichaa
10. Renouf To’omaga
11. Bronson Garlick
12. Dalton Smith
13. Kayne Kalache > replaces > 19. Corey Harawira-Naera

14. James Roumanos
15. Jack Nelson
16. Austin Dias
17. Brandon Wakeham

18. Elie El-Zakhem

Coach: Brad Henderson

Bulldogs News:
CHN - missing from lineup.
Elie El-Zakhem, Toa Mata'afa and John Olive - return from a lengthy exile in Ron Massey Cup.
Holland - injured and out for a month.
Isaiah Tass - missing from lineup (dropped or injured?) will need to see flegg lineup.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sea Eagles TEAM (UPDATED TUESDAY)

Note jersey numbers a bit funky on Manly's presser.

1 Jade Anderson
2 Tyler Cassell
3 Dane Aukafolau
4 Alfred Smalley
5 John Tohi
6 Zach Dockar-Clay
7 Kamren Cryer
8/15 Andy Saunders
9/17 Denzal Tonise
10 Lloyd Perrett
11 Haumole Olakauatu
12/8 Kurt De Luis
13 Sean Keppie

14 Tyran Ott
25/16 Francis Laloua-Tui
18 Fred Junior Mauala
22 Michael Tupou

Sea Eagles Form:
R1 & R2 LOSS
R3 DRAW
R4 WIN
R5 to R8 LOSS
R9 BYE
R10 to R12 LOSS

Currently dead last (Dogs in 4th)
168 FOR (Dogs are 229)
319 AGAINST (Dogs are 244)

Worst F&A of any team.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Has Brad Henderson caught the deadly infectious Pays Syndrome?

Mata'afa is garbage, as is Olive. Tass seemingly dropped (RMC and SS have byes with week).

I genuinely thought we'd flog the Ocean Bin Chickens, but now I'm not so sure.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Has Brad Henderson caught Pays Syndrome.

Mata'afa is garbage, as is Olive. Tass seemingly dropped.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He hasn't improved in being dropped either. Mata'afa is even worse....he's a human clothesline and clueless in defence.
Hopefully their both on the way out. They can take pay with them

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why is Wakeham on the bench? I haven't watched much reserves all season but surely his development is more important than playing Nu Brown?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is Wakeham on the bench? I haven't watched much reserves all season but surely his development is more important than playing Nu Brown?
Maybe Brown will play fullback and Wakeham comes into the starting side?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Brown will play fullback and Wakeham comes into the starting side?
Are our reserve backs that bad that a utility like Brown is third string fullback after Meaney and Hoppa?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are our reserve backs that bad that a utility like Brown is third string fullback after Meaney and Hoppa?
Brown played a brilliant 60 mins of fullback in NSW Cup last year in the game he injured his elbow. I haven’t seen a performance like that in FG since Barba

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brown played a brilliant 60 mins of fullback in NSW Cup last year in the game he injured his elbow. I haven’t seen a performance like that in FG since Barba
Yeah but he's not a full time fullback and won't be kept by the club. Meaney hasn't convinced and Hoppa isn't the answer...

Is there no one else on the horizon at the whole club that is a fullback with FG potential? Or are they too young and will take years to develop?

Either way, they should be looking at signing another fullback because what we have isn't getting it done.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah but he's not a full time fullback and won't be kept by the club. Meaney hasn't convinced and Hoppa isn't the answer...

Is there no one else on the horizon at the whole club that is a fullback with FG potential? Or are they too young and will take years to develop?

Either way, they should be looking at signing another fullback because what we have isn't getting it done.
I don't think we need another FB tbh, Meaney playing in a different system with confidence would be a totally different thing. I'd much rather a hooker, half and centre before even considering a fullback right now.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think we need another FB tbh, Meaney playing in a different system with confidence would be a totally different thing. I'd much rather a hooker, half and centre before even considering a fullback right now.
We definitely need those things too.. Obviously Meaney needs to touch the ball more and be used as a playmaker because he can pass and has speed but the way he's rag dolled around and cannot break through any contact is very worrying. Now most of the time he passes to someone else so he doesn't get tackled! Plus he doesn't have a step which is strange for someone so small and fast.

In an age where fullbacks make 200 plus metres regularly, to have a lightweight like Meaney who struggles to break the line or make metres just isn't going to cut it. Especially on a team like ours that struggles to score points. We need our playmakers to create something out of nothing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We definitely need those things too.. Obviously Meaney needs to touch the ball more and be used as a playmaker because he can pass and has speed but the way he's rag dolled around and cannot break through any contact is very worrying. Now most of the time he passes to someone else so he doesn't get tackled! Plus he doesn't have a step which is strange for someone so small and fast.

In an age where fullbacks make 200 plus metres regularly, to have a lightweight like Meaney who struggles to break the line or make metres just isn't going to cut it. Especially on a team like ours that struggles to score points. We need our playmakers to create something out of nothing.
Like I said Meaney is playing without confidence, watch when he runs and he isn't even accelerating into the line to push away from defenders, everything is just very submissive from him ATM.

I'm not saying he is going to be a superstar but I've defenitely seen him execute the required skills of a fullback. We just aren't seeing any of it right now. Pretty sure he still leads us for tackle breaks even with people thinking he can't break any contact lol.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheres zac hetherington? Injured?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like I said Meaney is playing without confidence, watch when he runs and he isn't even accelerating into the line to push away from defenders, everything is just very submissive from him ATM.

I'm not saying he is going to be a superstar but I've defenitely seen him execute the required skills of a fullback. We just aren't seeing any of it right now. Pretty sure he still leads us for tackle breaks even with people thinking he can't break any contact lol.
I think his problem is sometimes he runs too straight at the defenders and doesn't change his angles or pace and use a step at all.

He has 33 tbs in 10 games which is probably below average for a fullback and most don't lead to him breaking away, the defender just comes again and completes the tackle.

We probably could have signed CNK for the same amount and if we did, this wouldn't be an issue. That's the type of fullback we need. He had 57 tbs, 5 tries, 4 line breaks and 15 offloads on the season while making nearly 200m a game.

I don't Meaney matching those stats no matter what coach we have.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's his first game back from back stress fractures so he still might not be playing.

I have a feeling Lewis won't play anyway and Wakeham will probably start if he's good to go.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's his first game back from back stress fractures so he still might not be playing.

I have a feeling Lewis won't play anyway and Wakeham will probably start if he's good to go.
Thanks man. Stress fractures now? This kid can't take a trick with injuries. It's a shame because there's definitely a spot up for grabs in FG with neither Lewis nor Cogger convincing anyone right now.

Hopefully Wakeham can stay injury free for the rest of the year and have a few sneaky games in FG in the last few weeks of the season.