News Canterbury Leagues Club’s $6.5m deal to keep Bulldogs afloat

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As the only NRL club without a major sponsor, Canterbury’s perilous financial state is writ large – but a new $6.5 million deal looks set to buffer the Bulldogs from the effects from the effects of the coronavirus.

Struggling Canterbury will be rescued from the economic perils of coronavirus and two misbehaving footballers with a whopping $6.5 million financial package from Canterbury Leagues Club — which would include major sponsorship.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Canterbury Leagues Club will inject a $5.2 million grant into the Bulldogs this season and are also poised to become the club’s major sponsor in an additional deal worth $1 million to $1.2 million.

Canterbury lost a vital major sponsor – Rashays family restaurants – after players Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera allegedly broke club and NRL protocols by having sex with schoolgirls during a pre-season trip to Port Macquarie.

The Bulldogs remain the only NRL club without a major sponsor.

Canterbury Leagues Club is ready to safeguard the Bulldogs’ future. Photo: AAP IMAGE / Robert Pozo

Canterbury Leagues Club has told the Bulldogs football club to continue pursuing major sponsors but, should that fail, the Leagues Club would step in and become the $1 million to $1.2 million major sponsor.

The deal — which would include Canterbury Leagues Club being displayed on the Bulldogs jumper — could be struck in around a month if another major sponsor cannot be secured. It has been hailed by members as a club-saving gesture.

Canterbury Leagues has slightly decreased its annual football club grant but it’s still worth a whopping $5.2 million after the new Bulldogs board trimmed excessive costs inside the football office.

The $5.2 million grant will be paid to the Bulldogs football club in monthly instalments.

Officials claim the overall $6.5 million financial package will help the Bulldogs through the financially crippling coronavirus pandemic. And it comes with the Leagues Club facing its own financial challenges through coronavirus.

The big space on the Dogs’ shirts speaks to the club’s troubles. Photo: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
The football club hasn’t yet asked for the sponsorship money but are aware it would be available if a major sponsor could not be secured. It would be a one-year sponsorship deal to essentially “balance their books”.

One source close to the football club and Leagues Club said: “If the Bulldogs can get a sponsor, all is good. If they can’t, then Canterbury Leagues will step forward, tip the money in and put Canterbury Leagues across the front.

“I’m sure the football club will go to the Leagues Club when they have exhausted all their avenues.”

The Leagues Club would remain major sponsor until the Bulldogs can find a replacement.

With NRL clubs facing the possibility of losing broadcast money, sponsorship, membership, gate takings and merchandise, Canterbury Leagues’ money will significantly ease any financial pressure building on the Bulldogs.

Some clubs fear financial ruin in just eight to 12 weeks should the NRL be forced to cancel games.

George Coorey is looking to retain his position at the Leagues club.

The development comes as Canterbury Leagues Club holds board elections this Friday and Saturday. Directors Paul Dunn, Peter Callaghan, Peter Winchester and John Ballesty will be automatically returned while respected Leagues Club chairman George Coorey will seek re-election.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Coorey has enormous support from members, powerbrokers and the football club, as does club legend Steve Mortimer and Jim Koutsouklakis, who are also seeking to be returned.

Candidates Robert D’Ambrosi and Michael Patulny will also run.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/be7a410b5b9c4322b62409ef8c543329

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is like back when I was in school and I was partnered with the top students for a project. They were like "do this part but if it isn't good enough we'll just do it ourselves" :tearsofjoy:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think everyone should go slap a 20 at the leagues club this weekend..
The problem is there will be less people slapping at the minute. The football club struggling couldn’t have come at a worse time.

A

Alexander the Great

Maybe nrl should take a loan from us and in return stop fucking our life.

This may be the thing that will drive players to our club. A guaranteed wage.

Not sure how the clubs struggling will survive if the NRL is in shit.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news but is it in our best interests to announce this right now though?

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I just read on the Canterbury Leagues Club website, that it’s $5 for a 1 year membership or $20 for 5 years, first thing I’m doing tomorrow is signing up for a 5 year membership.

Gee they support our club more than we’ll ever know, we should all be pretty thankful!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We are very fortunate to have them. Hopefully the leagues club will be able to stay open throughout this virus hysteria

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Veey good of the league's cub to do this, bit so they should really. Still, what haens when the season is cancelled?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem is there will be less people slapping at the minute. The football club struggling couldn’t have come at a worse time.
They should also bring back the old bistro with the buffet. Damn they could make some good food back then and having a feed with the players after a game there was the Shiznit to go with your Schniztel… Bring back those days and the club will flourish!

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They might as well just sponsor us now. It was going to be extremely difficult finding a sponsor after the Okonbur stuff but it will be virtually impossible now with Coronavirus.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it we are the only club that the virus is affecting financially ? I know we don't have a major sponsor at the moment but what about the clubs in financial with difficulties before the virus eg Titans ,Dragons, im sure I heard there was more ?

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is rock solid in what are going to be tough times

Reactions: Lex

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read on the Canterbury Leagues Club website, that it’s $5 for a 1 year membership or $20 for 5 years, first thing I’m doing tomorrow is signing up for a 5 year membership.

Gee they support our club more than we’ll ever know, we should all be pretty thankful!
don't live close but am going to join anyway