News Canterbury keen on Penrith’s Matt Burton

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch the highlights of Panthers vs Knights and Warriors this season, you can see that Burtons kicking game is already way ahead of Lewis.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Does Keary stand on one side? Cleary? This split halves is garbage. Your halves have a role to play and how it's split between them depends on the coach and their ability.
Yep 100% watch our game on the weekend again and we could have scored 2 more tries on the left edge if our halves played together. All it takes is a simple sweep behind the hooker to draw a defender ...

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Alot of people probably won't agree but i think
6. Burton
7. Cogger
would be an excellent halves pairing.

Only other young 7s I'd consider from outside the club are Trindall, Deardon and Clifford.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We need experience and he is not busted. I liked this signing instead of Foran a few years back but Green went to Manly under Barrett.

I'm only adding Green now because it is most likely IF Barrett is confirmed.
That was then and this is now, Green is terrible. If Warriors fans had their way they wouldn't let him back in the country.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh great!!
Now the panthers will put Burton on the bench this weekend now.
I think its just another journo reading the Kennel as usual no quotes from anyone.
I hope it is true though.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Oh great!!
Now the panthers will put Burton on the bench this weekend now.
I think its just another journo reading the Kennel as usual no quotes from anyone.
I hope it is true though.
It doesn't matter they cant balance this out as both Burton and Luai are off contract at the same time. With Edwards and Stains vying over fullback, Koriosau killing it at 9. They have no option but to let one of them go and we shall take whoever they drop.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter they can balance this out as both Burton and Luai are off contract at the same time. With Edwards and Stains vying over fullback, Koriosau killing it at 9. They have no option but to let one of them go and we shall take whoever they drop.
Yep burton and stains and mcinnes from dragons

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Meaney
6 Averillo
7. Burton
9. Jmk

That's a good young spine that can stay together for years. Lacks experience but has plenty of speed. Our outside backs are also great. Hoppa Smith dwz cotric. With Okunbor as backup. Our back row if we keep chn is good also. Although Jackson has been shit for a while I think he improves once the team does. Add Thompson at lock. Our bench is also good Rfm Napa renouf with a ? on our 14. Now here is our main issue and that's our starting props. We need to spend big on this postion. With a young inexperienced spine but has speed we need gun props to lay a platform. Off contract props are Brownwich McLean tamou. We need to make Brownwich an offer he can't refuse. Maybe even let chn walk and sign both Brownwich brothers on a package deal. 1.6m should do it. 1m for jesse 600k for Kenny. We reported have 2.4m left to spend that still leaves us with 800k. 400k for Burton 400k for either McLean or tamou. Don't resign Elliott Tolman or Foran. We need there money to target the above players.
Jmk had plenty of chances and not up to standard. Better to get a young rising 9 like the Canberra guy filling in. Agree with you on Elliot and Tolman. Only resign Foran if its under 400k and he quits rep footy.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack bird are they fuckin serious ? Haven’t we learnt with Foran already ?????

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
"The Panthers would allow Barrett out of his 2021 deal but don’t want him stealing key players if he joins Canterbury."
Just another reason why Barrett should come this year, then Penrith can't complain about who he pinches.

Go Dogs

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cashed-up Canterbury are targeting Penrith young gun Matt Burton as their long-term five-eighth.

As the Bulldogs close in on announcing Panthers assistant Trent Barrett as the club’s new head coach, the boys from Belmore are also circling Burton.

The Dubbo junior is contracted until the end of 2021, but he hasn’t played NRL for the past three weeks following the return of Tyrone May from suspension.

Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai are also Penrith’s preferred option in the halves, leaving Burton stranded on the sidelines.

The Panthers want to retain the rising playmaker, but they are also understanding of him wanting to pursue a starting first grade position.

Canterbury’s Burton interest comes only a week after Penrith warned Barrett not to pouch the club’s young stars.

The Panthers would allow Barrett out of his 2021 deal but don’t want him stealing key players if he joins Canterbury.

But Bulldogs officials, who last week secured Canberra’s representative flyer Nick Cotric, remain determined to lure Burton to Belmore, and they will officially kickstart talks from November 1 this year.

Canterbury is keen to secure a stable long-term five-eighth following Kieran Foran’s long-running injury battles.

The Bulldogs are prepared to retain Foran for next season but on a significantly reduced contract to his current $1.2 million a year deal.

This could open the door for Burton, who has scored two tries in his five NRL appearances, to join Canterbury from the 2022 season onwards if not before if he can gain a release from Penrith.

The Bulldogs are also interested in luring Brisbane outside back Jack Bird to the club, although they are not sold on his signature due to his run of injuries.

Canterbury want to tick every box before they even consider signing Brisbane’s Jack Bird following his injury-interrupted tenure at the Broncos.

Canterbury officials are demanding a complete medical check before they commit to Bird, who has only played 17 games since joining the Broncos in 2017 following consecutive ACL knee injuries.

The Bulldogs are wary of signing an injury-prone player after their difficult experience with Foran in the past three seasons.

It’s why they won’t rush to sign Bird before they have a clear indication of his injury-prone body moving forward.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...n/news-story/836853ac84b3dcd17336911cb0a735a9
Fuck Foran off, any cap spent on him is wasted money which could be spent elsewhere!!

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Remember when Brodie Croft looked pretty good in his first couple of games for Melbourne???
We all know how that has panned out with him now.... let go by Melbourne and is struggling at the Broncos.
I agree with you, he did look good for the Panthers and we should sign him for sure, but we should not have a massive expectation of him yet...
Tell this little imbreds the truth

How many games is burton anyway 2 or 3 hahaha

Hahah ha ha

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bird wont pass the medical tests plus even if he does his price is too high. I cant see it happening
Agree. Problem is, he passes the tests every year (like Foran), then plays one or two games before konking out again. No way!

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought we would secure a coach before signing any further players. Ideally the coach should be balancing the roster against his requirements. Signing players without a coach in place only strengthens the rumours that someone is in the shadows pulling the strings, this can’t be good

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The Panthers would allow Barrett out of his 2021 deal but don’t want him stealing key players if he joins Canterbury."
Just another reason why Barrett should come this year, then Penrith can't complain about who he pinches.

Go Dogs
Who cares if they complain?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares if they complain?
No one, but when the take action with the NRL to stop signings based on Barrett breaking his contract terms, then that's a problem.

Go Dogs