Canterbury just three defeats away from record second-highest number of losses in club history

Status
Not open for further replies.

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm a converted des supporter , he must go , I can definitely see it now , another year of this shit is unacceptable.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JAMES PHELPS, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only
DES Hasler’s Bulldogs are just three defeats away from racking up the second-highest number of losses in the club’s proud 82-year history.

In a damning statistic that proves Canterbury is officially a club in crisis, there have only been three seasons worse than the Bulldogs of 2017 when it comes to the number of losses suffered.

Their loss on Thursday to South Sydney was their 14th of the year, making them the equal-fourth worst since the club was founded in 1935.

Despite fielding a team featuring eight players who have represented at Origin or Test level, they have finished on the wrong end of the scoreline as many times as the infamous foundation side of 1935 which still holds the unwanted record for the two heaviest defeats of all time — a 91-6 flogging at the hands of St George and an 87-7 thumping by the Roosters a week later.

They could even end up with the wooden spoon after cellar dwellers Newcastle upset Parramatta on Friday night.

The 2008 Bulldogs were the last Canterbury team to win the wooden spoon.
The Bulldogs must win at least one of their remaining three games to avoid dropping below the 1964 team’s second-worst mark of 16 defeats.

Only the diabolic Sonny Bill Williams walkout team of 2008 — who lost 19 games — will save them from suffering the most defeats in club history.

A Sunday Telegraph investigation has revealed that complicated match plans, controversial selection decisions and contract uncertainty can be blamed for the dramatic fall from grace that continued on Thursday night when Canterbury were thumped 28-14 by Souths at ANZ Stadium.

According to players, the club’s collapse began mid-season when Hasler responded to calls for his sacking by making a series of unconventional positional changes.

“We were going OK at the start of the year,’’ said a Canterbury NRL player.

“I mean, we weren’t winning a lot but we were in games and we thought it was only a matter of time until we clicked. We were confident. But then Dessy started making changes and we had a lot of blokes playing out of position. It was really disruptive.’’

The Bulldogs are anchored to the bottom of the ladder.
Hasler has gambled his coaching career with several controversial selections that include playing halfback Matt Frawley of the bench, moving regular No. 7 Moses Mbye to hooker, switching outside back Chase Stanley into the halves and dumping $700,000-a year Kiwi international Greg Eastwood to the NSW Cup.

Another club source suggested “complicated’’ and “overthought’’ game plans were to blame for the year from hell.

“At times there are 25 points scribbled on the whiteboard before a game,’’ said the insider.

“How are players supposed to take on that much instruction? They have gotten to a point where they are trying so hard to do these things that they have forgotten the fundamentals.’’

It is understood Hasler has fallen out with a number of players this year, including Melbourne-bound prop Sam Kasiano and Eastwood.

Canterbury can’t buy a win at the moment.
Hooker Michael Lichaa is also hunting a new club after being dumped from the NRL squad.

The free-fall accelerated when the club began shopping high-profile players to other clubs, including Josh and Brett Morris, James Graham, Aiden Tolman, and Mbye after making a salary cap miscalculation that has them facing a $1 million blowout.

The decision not to re-sign fan favourite Josh Reynolds was another blow.

“It is very much unwanted history,’’ said club stalwart Reni Maitua.

“And we had some things go against us in 2008. We lost our best player (Williams) to rugby union and Luke Patten was injured for the entire year. We also were still suffering the salary cap effects of winning the premiership in 2004.

“I don’t think the current side have too many excuses. They have had a reasonable run with injuries. Compared to 2008 it is a very contrasting set of circumstances. They aren’t two many reasons for them to not be successful this year.’’

Players now speaking out surely he is gone I reckon lichaa is spilling the beans
But according to des- he is super proud!

Is he trying to get sacked or save his job?

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's see if the "judgement" which is to be had at the end of the season, is consistent wth the epic history making season we're all experiencing, courtesy of our yesterdays hero-Mr Scrooge coach.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were going OK at the start of the year,’’ said a Canterbury NRL player.

I mean, we weren’t winning a lot but we were in games and we thought it was only a matter of time until we clicked. We were confident. But then Dessy started making changes and we had a lot of blokes playing out of position. It was really disruptive.’’

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
That was lichaa. 100%.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cant recall them making too many positional changes - Mbye to hooker - was about it but the rot had already set in by then.
Klemmer to lock Montoya & Holland named on bench for a couple of games Eastwood to second row rather than lock Elliott off the bench to start games RFM (arguably our best forward with heaps of potential) dropped from the team on numerous occasions, continued to pick Liccha wont pick Cleeland etc etc

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Said it all year;
Klemmer wants to play prop
Taking it first or second run

Eastwood wants to play lock
Not second row

Mbye doesn't want a bar of hooker

Players are off lichaa all year

Islander boys kas, east, rfm, brenko, tualao can't stand the prick (Hasler)

Chase Stanley and holland are the teachers pet

Players told not to offload, think klemmer all year not offloading even when he can.

Just a few points to ponder
I doubt Klemmer will be here next season tbh.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You know the club and I mean the whole club from top to bottom is in trouble when insiders start talking... Adversity always inspired us, never divided us! What a sad state we're in! One thing this club has been built on is it's ability to comeback better and stronger in a short amount of time. I hope next year is the year the voting members bring back this club to where it needs to be by voting Dib out!
My friends and I will vote for the rival ticket

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You know the club and I mean the whole club from top to bottom is in trouble when insiders start talking... Adversity always inspired us, never divided us! What a sad state we're in! One thing this club has been built on is it's ability to comeback better and stronger in a short amount of time. I hope next year is the year the voting members bring back this club to where it needs to be by voting Dib out!
Phelps is mates with a couple of the older blokes in the team from the days when his brother played for the club. He actually arranged to get a jersey signed for me in 2009 that I still have on the wall. He is a dogs man so I would suggest that his 'inside' info would be close to the mark.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant recall them making too many positional changes - Mbye to hooker - was about it but the rot had already set in by then.
Another made up articles.
No names to quotes , Eastwood playing reserves? Positional changes? Apart from Stanley and Mbye in recent weeks who?

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
How fitting that there are 3 weeks to go, that's a certain 3 losses

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have made fk all changes of any nature in last few years

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So hes playing the players out of position, any chance Des could move himself out of the coaches position while hes at it

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another made up articles.
No names to quotes , Eastwood playing reserves? Positional changes? Apart from Stanley and Mbye in recent weeks who?
See above.....Klemmer to lock Montoya & Holland named on bench for a couple of games Eastwood to second row rather than lock Elliott off the bench to start games RFM (arguably our best forward with heaps of potential) dropped from the team on numerous occasions, continued to pick Liccha wont pick Cleeland etc etc

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lock is a third front rower now, hardly a positional change. Whether from the bench or not Elliot and RFM hav been edge forwards when in the team. Not picking cleeland is not a positional change. Hasler deserves most if not all the criticism he is copping but making changes is not something he does too often. The criticism I would think would be that he HASNT made changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.