Canterbury hooker Michael Lichaa is on the verge of signing a new deal with the Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He said from his own mouth at the Lebanon rlwc gala dinner that it was just one year with a second year option in favour of the club.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope for the best with him being re-signed. But he's definitely got some flaws that can't be described as minor ones. Given that he was supposed to play a style for three years and was unable to adapt his game to look good on even rare occasions with that style makes me wonder if he'll just become one dimensional in another way. There are times when running will work, but we had a seriously strong & aggressive pack when he took over and they started playing flat footed and allowed defenses to rush them. And it remains to be seen if he can pass to a half if they're not directly beside him. It really irks me that he's brushed off his lack of being able to adapt to a game plan as well. Good players become great because they are able to adapt and grow their skills. Lichaa hasn't done that and he's brushed it off as someone elses fault.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said from his own mouth at the Lebanon rlwc gala dinner that it was just one year with a second year option in favour of the club.
That's the best option IMO. That way, if he turns out to be great and his value increases, the club is able to retain him, but could also let him go if he plays the same as the previous 3 years.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agreed veg. X3 good games in x3 years isn't great. His decision making under fatigue is really poor. But he has enough positives to do well as a part time hooker, playing about 40 mins a game and keeping fresh.

Mate it wasn't 3 good games in 3 years fricken hell your a hard judge. He hardly played a bad game to be hoNest.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa set to stay at Belmore

He was farewelled by the club back in August following their win over the Sea Eagles but it appears as though that might have been premature with Michael Lichaa set to sign a contract extension with the Bulldogs in the coming weeks.

Lichaa, along with departing players Josh Reynolds, Sam Kasiano, Craig Garvey and Tyrone Phillips, were farewelled on stage at ANZ Stadium following their Round 24 win over Manly, but the 24-year-old isn't going anywhere and is close to finalising a new deal that will keep him at Belmore for the next couple of years.

"I'll be sticking around for another couple of years," Lichaa said at a media opportunity at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney as he prepares for Lebanon's World Cup campaign.

"I've agreed, so hopefully in the next few weeks we can get the papers all signed and hopefully we can get that sorted. We've come to an agreement so I'm pretty excited.

"It was a bit of a relief. As soon as the season finished…it's been going back and forth for the last four or five weeks, so to come to an agreement has been a weight lifted off my shoulders.

"We were talking to a few clubs, but as soon as I knew that the Dogs were interested in me, I told my manager to get that done. I just want to repay the club for bringing me there in the first place and I've got a bit to prove in the next few years."

Restricted in what he could do by recently-sacked coach Des Hasler, the writing was on the wall for Lichaa when he managed just 21 minutes in a six-week period that had most people assuming he would be shown the door at season's end.

It would have been a sad way for him to go given he hadn't been allowed to play to his strengths, but an about-face in Round 24 saw him return to the starting side, with Lichaa's running game sparking the Bulldogs to a three-game winning streak to finish the season.

The City representative ran for a season-high 95 metres in Round 25 and then scored the winning try the following week to knock the Dragons out of the finals race.

Having been told to simply pass the ball and make his tackles for the best part of three years, Lichaa used the final few weeks of the season to show the club and other potential suitors that the hype surrounding his signing back in 2015 was justified.

"I never wanted to leave," he said.

"I don't think I ever lost my ability to play and I don't think I was playing terrible because I still put my body on the line and I did 50 tackles a game.

"With the ball I wasn't doing exactly what I wanted to, but there's a bit of a change with the coach now. I was pretty lucky to get the opportunity to get back in the team in that last month of footy, otherwise I'm not sure what would have happened.

"I didn't really have anything to lose. I didn't play the six weeks – well three of them I came on with five minutes to go – so I thought 'what's the worst thing that can happen; I get dropped again?' so I just ran the ball again and I think that's my game.

"There are all different kinds of hookers and I went into those last few games thinking to run first off a quick play-the-ball and pass second, and if I got tackled with the ball then it wasn't the end of the world.

"I think that's my style of play; there are obviously other hookers like Robbie (Lebanon teammate Robbie Farah) who are out and out ball-players and he'll get out and do that, but that's not the style that I am and I'll probably never be that style. I think if I have the run-first mentality then the rest will come like the pass and the offload."

Lichaa said there were no hard feelings towards Hasler and that he's looking forward to working with incoming coach Dean Pay who mentored him in the 2012 and 2013 under-20s Origin series for the NSW Blues.

"I still love my three years under Des and I still learnt a lot, but in another way, it's going to be a bit of a change," he said.

"I know Deano – I've had him before – and I'm pretty sure I'll play that kind of way for the rest of my time there. It'll be good to just run the ball; I can't wait!

"I had him a couple of years for under-20s Origin. He's pretty laid back and he's very approachable.

"When I had him for those few weeks, we just kept the game plan simple. When it was under-20s and those rep teams, you got there because you were a good player and you just play your game.

"I'm sure Dean will keep it simple – he seems like that kind of bloke – but I'm sure there'll be some tough sessions. All I've heard is that he was the toughest player to ever play so I'm sure there'll be some big contact sessions come the start of the year."

http://www.nrl.com/lichaa-set-to-stay-at-belmore /tabid/10874/newsid/113843/default.aspx

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a jake Granville in lichaa. Passing game is a bit dodgey but can create just by running.

Would love to see some deft little kicks.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
"I didn't really have anything to lose. I didn't play the six weeks – well three of them I came on with five minutes to go – so I thought 'what's the worst thing that can happen; I get dropped again?' so I just ran the ball again and I think that's my game."

So I wonder what Des was saying to him those last few weeks when he was ignoring his instructions?? Good on him for saying fuk you in the end to Hasler for hampering his career. RESPECT

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"I didn't really have anything to lose. I didn't play the six weeks – well three of them I came on with five minutes to go – so I thought 'what's the worst thing that can happen; I get dropped again?' so I just ran the ball again and I think that's my game."

So I wonder what Des was saying to him those last few weeks when he was ignoring his instructions?? Good on him for saying fuk you in the end to Hasler for hampering his career. RESPECT
Des would probably try and take credit for it

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He could go really well under Pay since he is obviously thrilled to be playing under him again, and knows already Dean will let him play his natural game. The under 20s origin side Pay coached won 4 or 5 series in a row. Was a good side Lichaa was part of.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching the last few games with him showed he can be damaging running from dummy half. Personally he needs to speed his service from play the ball and maybe a kicking game. Just another option for us. I’m not saying a Cameron Smith but even Jake Friend at times puts the odd kick in that gives variety
I think it is important when considering his passing to recognise that given he wasn't allowed to run for most of his contract the opp tip sheet would have directed the defence at the runners and cutting off his passing options. He probably was looking for a better positioned player to pass to who wasn't there because of Des' structures and consequently a lot of his passes were not as sharp as they could've been. Now he has shown variation the D will need to split their attention which will give him more time to pass. That's my theory anyway, but it seemed to be what happened at the back end this year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think it is important when considering his passing to recognise that given he wasn't allowed to run for most of his contract the opp tip sheet would have directed the defence at the runners and cutting off his passing options. He probably was looking for a better positioned player to pass to who wasn't there because of Des' structures and consequently a lot of his passes were not as sharp as they could've been. Now he has shown variation the D will need to split their attention which will give him more time to pass. That's my theory anyway, but it seemed to be what happened at the back end this year.
Plus his timing would have been based on pass and run so when shit knickers made him stand and pass it was a different muscle memory and timing.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I was one of many who called him a shit player. Well i take that back. He showed des up for what he is. A shit coach. Hopefully our coaches can work and improve his game aswell as others. Dessies biggest weakness was no one improved under him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

The rumour was that des sent trainers out to tell him to stop running

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As ive said for a long time on here yes his passing needs to improve but part of the problem is how flat des played hopefully with pay we have a nice deep backline with players running hard

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kid is getting a chance that not many under the Des regime got, let’s hope it works out for both parties

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
AFTER having a farewell at Canterbury, hooker Michael Lichaa has revealed in an extraordinary turnaround that he is set to sign a new deal with the NRL club.

Lichaa, who will play for Lebanon in the Rugby League World Cup, says an agreement has been reached which should keep him at the Bulldogs.

“I had a farewell, so I didn’t think I was going to be sticking around,” Lichaa said on Thursday.

“But I went away and left it up to my manager and he’s come back with some good news so, hopefully, get it signed off in the next week or two.”

Lichaa said he was yet to speak to new Bulldogs coach Dean Pay, the man who replaced the sacked Des Hasler.

However, Lichaa has been coached by Pay before in the NSW under-20 team.

CONFIRMED: Knights snap up Shark for 2018

Michael Lichaa in action for the Bulldogs. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia

“He’s a really good bloke and he’s obviously a lot different to Des - different style of coaches,” Lichaa said.

“But I think he’ll be really good for us, getting old Bulldogs people around training and the team. I think it will be awesome for the club.

Asked if he thought Pay’s style would suit him more than Hasler’s, Lichaa said “fingers crossed - I’m not 100 per cent sure.

“I’ve got to wait and see next year. But I’m pretty excited. “I think the last month of footy I played, I showed that I could play footy with the ball. I’m not just a tackler and that’s what you want to be doing the whole year.

“If I can have that run first, pass second mentality, I think that’s what suits me best so, hopefully, I can move forward with that.”

Raiders sign schoolboys star

0:43

Sparingly used at times in the back half of the season, Lichaa adopted a nothing-to-lose attitude in the last few games, running the ball more in what apparently wasn’t necessarily part of Hasler’s game plan.

Lichaa was diplomatic when asked if he felt stifled by Hasler’s tactics before that last month.

“It’s hard to say. You do what’s best for the team,” Lichaa said.

“People say to me ‘why don’t you run the ball?’, those kind of things, but some things are out of your control.

“You do what’s best for the team and I wouldn’t say I’m a selfish player.”

Status
Not open for further replies.