Canterbury Bulldogs to go back to Belmore during stadium rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury are planning to take up to six games back to their spiritual home of Belmore while ANZ Stadium is being transformed into a state-of-the-art rectangular venue.

The NSW government will officially announce on Friday that Sydney's two major venues, ANZ and Allianz stadium, will be knocked down and rebuilt at a cost of $2 billion. That figure excludes the money already allocated to rebuild Parramatta Stadium, bringing the total spend to $2.3 billion.

State cabinet signed off on the ANZ and Allianz reconstructions yesterday, ending years of politicking and speculation over stadia investment.

Work will begin on Allianz in 2018 and ANZ the following year. The developments are a win for the Sydney sporting public, but will have knock-on effects for clubs displaced during the construction periods.

One of ANZ Stadium's main tenants, Canterbury, are already making contingency plans. The Bulldogs already take two home matches to Belmore but are planning to boost that figure to six while the Homebush Bay precinct is under construction.

"The Bulldogs have got to look at what's in the best interest for their fans and members and if we can improve the amenities and facilities a bit more at Belmore, I can't see why the board wouldn't entertain the idea of taking half a dozen games there," said Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib.

"We could take some games to the new Parramatta Stadium and also keep some games up our sleeve to take interstate.

"The reception at Belmore has been positive. It's been a shame that we've had bad weather and bad timing, with Thursday night games the last couple of years.

"It would be a great reward and a sign of appreciation to our fans to be able to take more games back to Belmore."

The Bulldogs will be one of several teams looking to take games to Parramatta while the other two major stadiums are off line. When not playing at Campbelltown or Leichhardt Oval – they have also locked in a "home" game at Tamworth next year – Wests Tigers will venture to the Eels' new home ground. Canterbury will do likewise, while South Sydney fans will also have to make the trek from their Homebush base for some of the games they host.

The Roosters already take some matches to Gosford and may take more, but their temporary home base will likely be the Sydney Cricket Ground until Allianz is finished. A-League side Sydney FC and the Waratahs will look to host some matches at the SCG.

The NSW government's financial commitment will ensure the NRL grand final remains in Sydney long-term, but there will be issues regarding its placement during construction.

The SCG is likely to host at least one grand final during that period, marking the first time it has happened since the 1987 Manly-Canberra decider.

Sydney's sporting stadiums have been neglected for decades, while interstate rivals have stolen sporting events after upgrading their facilities. NSW will now be able to compete for premium content when Allianz is rebuilt with a capacity of 45,000 and ANZ about 75,000.

Former premier Mike Baird had only allocated $1.6 billion of funding to the three major projects, but the NSW government has now committed $2.3 billion.

"It's great for the state, it's a bold and aggressive move," Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe said. "It's a great result to have three brand new stadiums of three different sizes accommodating the growth of the game and changing demographic.

"Having spent time in Melbourne and America, you can't underestimate what quality stadiums can do for the sporting experience for a state."

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it is wonderful that everything is running so smoothly in NSW that they can throw away that sort of money. I'd rather they give it back to the tax payers though!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"We could take some games to the new Parramatta Stadium and also keep some games up our sleeve to take interstate."

Fuck off ... We should NEVER take home games to Parra Stadium....
Thats incredibly narrow minded. As a long time supporter i also recognise parramatta as one of our fiercest rivals, but the reality is that parramatta is not all that far to travel from the canterbury-bankstown area and it will be the best stadium in sydney until the new ANZ stadium is finished. So it actually makes perfect sense.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think there are bigger priorities the state government should be spending 2.3 billion on
There will always be something “better” to spend it on but if we don’t do things like this, we don’t move forward as a city and people

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think there are bigger priorities the state government should be spending 2.3 billion on
Agreed. They could have held at least 100 plebiscites asking people things like "how was your day?", and "do you like sausage rolls or meat pies?"

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Agreed. They could have held at least 100 plebiscites asking people things like "how was your day?", and "do you like sausage rolls or meat pies?"
Last one is easy, all the yes voters would vote for sausage rolls lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Nooooooooooo two games a year at that dump is already painful enough!
I hate parramatta but would happily drive there to check out the new stadium
Drove past last week bro, unless the pull their fingers out, looks like it won't finish till the end of 2019 lol

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a bit like whether you want your left or right hand amputated! Either way it's going to be hard to wipe your arse. I live closer to BSG than ANZ or Parra so it is a lot more convenient but it is not a pleasant experience sitting there with your knees on your chest getting up and down every 5 mins because people can't get past you and fighting for a parking spot somewhere. The thought of going to Parra just annoys me, but at least I guess given its a new stadium it should be reasonably comfortable. Not sure about parking though and its a bloody long walk from the station.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but any home games that need to be relocated should be at Belmore.. we own it, we train on it, it's our historic home ground..I'm bewildered on any other choice other than perhaps using those games to promote the game regionally and/or interstate.

On the new Parramatta stadium, I'd rather play out at Concord oval if all else failed...Parra should be way down the list of potential venues in my view.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stating the obvious, but any home games that need to be relocated should be at Belmore.. we own it, we train on it, it's our historic home ground..I'm bewildered on any other choice other than perhaps using those games to promote the game regionally and/or interstate.

On the new Parramatta stadium, I'd rather play out at Concord oval if all else failed...Parra should be way down the list of potential venues in my view.
Games vs souths and parra, will draw well over belmores capacity. That’s just throwing money away, and at a time when things will already be tight due to us having to pay for the belmore game day.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Those scumbags still owe us for polluting Belmore back in the day lol

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Games vs souths and parra, will draw well over belmores capacity. That’s just throwing money away, and at a time when things will already be tight due to us having to pay for the belmore game day.
Yeh I agree with you. If it’s that much of a problem to think the eels play there then Just think of it as the wanderers home ground :p lol

But I agree. It will be a state of the art football stadium. Perfect capacity, close proximity to our spiritual home (probably 25-35 min drive). It will have corporate facilities.

With a 13k capacity, 5000 under cover seating and crappy corporate facilities you not only lose ticket sales but you lose corporate dollars. A fan paying 25 bux for the ticket won’t hurt. The guys dropping 1-2-3-10k will.

We haven’t had much stadium infrastructure for a while in nsw. So although I agree money should go to more important things. At the same time Melbourne had some of the best venues in the world let alone Australia (MCG, rod laver, Margaret court (or what ever it will be called :p), aami Park, the dome) all world class facilities. Sydney is lacking. SCG is good but only usable for cricket abs afl. Sfs I don’t mind but apparently it’s not up to standard? And stadium Australia is a track and field stadium. I couldn’t consider bsg, Leichhardt, brookvale, shark park as anything more then suburban grounds. Not world class facilities.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Question: What would you have done if the Bulldogs never moved from Belmore to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.