Canterbury Bulldogs teammates hold out hope Trent Hodkinson will stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Popular figure at Canterbury: Bulldogs halfback Trent Hodkinson. Photo: Getty Images
As Trent Hodkinson mulls over a switch to Newcastle, his Canterbury teammates hold out hope the Blues No.7 will stay at the club, confident his Origin form will carry into the NRL.
Hodkinson is deciding between Gold Coast and Newcastle with the cashed-up Knights firming as favourites to claim the goal-kicking half on a three-year deal from Canterbury. The Bulldogs are unable to match any offer Hodkinson receives, as he is now an established representative player.
While Hodkinson's position is entrenched at state level, he is far from guaranteed a regular spot at the Bulldogs with Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds pushing for a starting spot. Hodkinson has been named to partner Mbye for Canterbury's return to Belmore on Monday night after being rested from their last start win against Penrith with Reynolds on the bench.
Interchange prop Tim Browne said he was confident Hodkinson's form for the Blues would transfer into club football.
Advertisement

"Those combinations with Mitchell Pearce it takes time to develop," Browne said. "They got it right the second game and he steered the team around well. I can only imagine coming back from an arena like that you would bring a lot of confidence with you.
"Hopefully he can stay at the club. He is a good bloke and a good friend of mine. He has been great for the club since he got here. He is not in the Origin side for no reason. "You've seen what the Blues did last game. He is an asset to the club and the team."
Hodkinson and his fellow Bulldogs representative teammates including Brett and Josh Morris, David Klemmer and Josh Jackson have been given some time off this week. Canterbury will lose Frank Pritchard to Hull FC at season's end while Hodkinson is also likely to end his five-year stint at the club.
Veteran winger Sam Perrett also faces an uncertain future. At 30, Perrett said he was confident of extending his time at the club as he steps up negotiations for what will be his final contract.
"I feel comfortable," Perrett said. "I know it's going to work out. If it doesn't happen I know something will come up. I'm working on something with the club. I'm hoping that all comes good too. Awesome fans, awesome staff.
"I have faith and trust that everything will work out. I keep doing my bit for the team. I know things will work out. You can't control what other people think and what they offer."
Perrett said it would be a shame if Hodkinson was not retained.
"It's part of the nature of the sport," Perrett said. "It's sad but it's the way it goes. You wish you could always be with the same team. Hopefully he stays, but if not he'll be a blessing to wherever he goes."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rent-hodkinson-will-stay-20150624-ghwhmr.html

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
As if they are going to come out and say he is finished and **** up the team....

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like sammy p. very articulate and coherent, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

not the flashiest of backliners, but definitely solid and reliable.

hope he stays with us.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
perret is definitely needed at this club has played more fullback than anyone.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Media beat up yet again, this will continue to happen until Hodkinson leaves.

Imagine the article title if Hodkinson's teammates said even the slightest thing about him. The title would be absolutely crucifying and could easily derail our season. Bunch of f*cking parasites, always fishing for some odd story, next minute the media will conjure up an article about how the playing group is "split" if Hodkinson leaves or how Mbye is contemplating a switch if Hodkinson stays. Please kindly f*ck off back to your holes you parasites.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Something is not wright I'm sure hodko said he would love to stay at the dogs and take a pay cut now they are saying Bulldogs can't afford what other club have offered , I think he has already signed with another club he just haven't announced it yet,

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The funny part of the article is where it says we would be unable to match offers for Trent. Nothing to do with us being unable, the club just doesn't want to because of a better option.

The most interesting part is Sam P. Looks like he might get an extension to the contract, if not sounds like he's going to do some other work with the club

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly .. one sided.

Hodko has apparently been offered MASSIVE overs at Knights.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The players all love him and rightfully so however I believe they love winning competitions a little more.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly .. one sided.

Got to thank those Knights for doing that. How the f*ck could you possibly offer Hodkinson overs considering the form he has shown this entire season? HE DIDN'T MAKE A SINGLE LONG OR ATTACKING KICK IN ORIGIN 2 NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
thing about Hodko is he compensates his lack of kicking game with his ability to stay calm under pressure, he pretty much won us game 2 with his vision and try assist to Dugan.

done it numerous times last year against teams who boast the best halves in the world.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Suck shit Matty johns and your brother you can have him.. Take Perrett too..we could even throw in she Rex in a package deal..

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Hodko needs to just sign and announce it. It's becoming a distration now. It's bad enough that he's played to whole year at 50% but he needs to do the best thing by his mates and end the circus.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its nice they want him to stay but who are they willing to get rid of to keep him? In the long term we can't keep 3 halves.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Of course the club won't be able to match what is on offer from other clubs. The market for halfbacks is very thin at the moment so the desperate clubs like the Knights and Titans will have to pay overs to get the last remaining ones. Like it was when we were looking for a FB. TH's value to us is less so we can't match it. We will have the opportunity to put in a "let's do it for Frankie and TH" mentality for a run home into the GF!

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its Tony Williams who wants him to stay. As long as Hodko plays shit, Williams has the full spotlight off his inability to play.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Its Tony Williams who wants him to stay. As long as Hodko plays shit, Williams has the full spotlight off his inability to play.
and if we snag Foran, TRex the beast might awaken as well.

Hodkos kinda hampered TRex a bit.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
and if we snag Foran, TRex the beast might awaken as well.

Hodkos kinda hampered TRex a bit.
I think he hampered the whole team in the last couple of weeks the team seems to have more energy , now let's see what happen Monday

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly .. one sided.

To say I'm bewildered at this is a massive understatement. We've seen Hodkinson play so we know he has got nothing to offer.

But the other clubs have played against him - they would know exactly what he can't do but they want to throw big bucks at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.