Canterbury Bulldogs set out preseason plans: to unleash the Dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard to "get on with the footy" in summer. Good professionals still fulfill their media commitments though. Stop your whingeing haha :P

I don't get the whole "they talk to the media too much" criticism
True, but i'm over seeing this Dogs of War dribble in the Kennel :p

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was his first full season in the top grade, so of course he is going to make mistakes. I cant believe people saying he is shit and doeant deserve to play first grade. Auch a load of shit. Give the man time.
Those people have no idea. Its very rare a forward is a star in his first few years.

Jackson was not a standout in his first year.

People need to be realistic.... give the kid a break ffs.

The same people were sucking off josh reynolds after 6 years of being a flop.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
True, but i'm over seeing this Dogs of War dribble in the Kennel :p
hehe less propaganda, more violence huh? :P

I kinda know how you feel....but I think articles lately have been a breath of fresh air without the Desbots churning out tired cliches :grinning:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Just replacing with new cliches...
Old cliches that are new again! Haha.....but they are cliches that more accurately reflect the way this team SHOULD play. So I don't mind them. The problem with last year's cliches from my pov was the fact they didn't represent a style and approach that was working for us :grinning:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers Middo.
I thought Jackson would be right up there, he dropped the ball a lot at crucial times
yeah both Jacko and Elliot dropped some pretty crucial ball at times.

But I'm willing to put it down to Hasler and his lack of ball skill training because of his excessive video sessions. He gets a pass for last year, But all bets are off this season no excuse.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not better than jacko at lock and Martin at second row
Its a no brainer really considering Jacko is the best tackler in the comp and Martin is a natural right edge backrower that can ball play, kick and kick goals.

If the coaching staff miss this one I'm already officially worried.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Looks like the game plan will be kick into the corners, line speed and mistake free football

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a no brainer really considering Jacko is the best tackler in the comp and Martin is a natural right edge backrower that can ball play, kick and kick goals.

If the coaching staff miss this one I'm already officially worried.
Mmm, Klil or an international/SOO player who is now our coach - where should I put my trust. Tough one eh! Na.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mmm, Klil or an international/SOO player who is now our coach - where should I put my trust. Tough one eh! Na.
Lol shut up Oats... You and I both know many know the team just as well as Pay does right now. We have been watching these guys run around for many years from juniors to 1st grade and have seen them develop. Pay has only seen them on the training paddock so far and even though I'm sure his watched a few games over the past years he still doesn't know them well enough, not like many on TK.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk is cheap. I still maintain in 2018 Pay has inherited a roster that is limited by cap squeeze and primarily recruited by Hasler. I believe 70% of the 2018 team wont be with us in 2020 simply because Pay will bring in players who are instinctive natural footballers and hate losing. In the meantime the current roster has an opportunity to prove to its fan base that they actually deserve to play in the jersey.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
STAR recruit Aaron Woods believes Canterbury’s intention to play an ultra-aggressive NRL game under new coach Dean Pay will be a challenge mentally.

But prop Woods has backed the return of the ‘Dogs of war’ style to Canterbury, of which Pay was an exponent in his playing days in the 1980s and 90s.

“It’s a good thing. Even the style he wants us to play suits us front-rowers a lot more,” Woods told reporters on Thursday.

“Especially with Deano, he’s an ex-front-rower so to learn off him and to get guidance in how to play the role is really good.

“He wants to hurt players.”

While the former Wests Tigers captain was confident the Bulldogs forwards would aim up physically, it would not be enough.

“It’s your mindset. It’s a hard thing, backing up each week,” Woods said.

“Rugby league, it’s a lot mental so you’ve got to get that side right first.”

Woods believes Pay has ushered in a new era at the club after struggling on and off the field last year, resulting in the sacking of coach Des Hasler.

“It’s a fresh start for the club. There’s a fair turnaround so it’s a completely different club at the moment,” Woods said.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol shut up Oats... You and I both know many know the team just as well as Pay does right now. We have been watching these guys run around for many years from juniors to 1st grade and have seen them develop. Pay has only seen them on the training paddock so far and even though I'm sure his watched a few games over the past years he still doesn't know them well enough, not like many on TK.
haha. I know we think we do but pretty sure we don't. A couple on here have played grade but most of us are FG dreamers. I learned a long time ago in my industry that what people see and what people know are not even close to being the same thing and footy would be even more so given the constant explosive nature of it. I could never defend the tactics that Des used in the last few years but that doesn't mean he didn't pick generally the best players that were available to him at the time he picked them. Even TRex. Pay will pick the best players in the positions he wants them I have no doubt. The big question will be if they play as a team the way he wants them to

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talk is cheap. I still maintain in 2018 Pay has inherited a roster that is limited by cap squeeze and primarily recruited by Hasler. I believe 70% of the 2018 team wont be with us in 2020 simply because Pay will bring in players who are instinctive natural footballers and hate losing. In the meantime the current roster has an opportunity to prove to its fan base that they actually deserve to play in the jersey.
I don't care what roster Pay inherited, we showed some form at the end of 2017 and the 2018 roster is a definite improvement, the Dogs will impress pending injury, even if Foran gets hurt Cleeland is biting to get a crack at first grade.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
STAR recruit Aaron Woods believes Canterbury’s intention to play an ultra-aggressive NRL game under new coach Dean Pay will be a challenge mentally.

As long as that doesn't result in:
a) suspensions for big hits that are legal and NRL consider shoulder charges.
b) injuries.

Then bring it on.

But the days of run and bash are over. The game is all about more mobile forwards these days.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just replacing with new cliches...
Come on mate, its a new coach with a newplan and a proud history of playing for the dogs. Throw in some new marquee signings and the fact that most bulldogs players were fed up with the old regime and playing style, im fucking stoked to be hearing all this good news. Why are you not enjoying this???? Would you prefer to hear nothing until kick off? I mean really? It is filling most of us fans with hope for next year, and bringing us back together. It gives us all something positive to talk about, as apposed to constantly talking about how much we hate des and how much he fucked our club.
The kennel is sure as hell a more enjoyable place to come. Enjoy it. Dont criticise it.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as that doesn't result in:
a) suspensions for big hits that are legal and NRL consider shoulder charges.
b) injuries.

Then bring it on.

But the days of run and bash are over. The game is all about more mobile forwards these days.
My take is Pay wants us having some decent line-speed, get up quick and put some aggression back into our total game, create errors and make sure the opposition wake up feeling sore the next day.

Parramatta were the kings of this last year, their forwards ran it off the back fence and they were super-aggressive. I think it was a huge part in how they performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.