Canterbury Bulldogs set out preseason plans: to unleash the Dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

CANTERBURY-Bankstown’s preseason focus has been simple: to regain their reputation as Dogs of war.

New coach Dean Pay vowed to restore the values of the famous club that have somewhat faded in recent years, and he immediately acted on his word with the appointment of the Bulldogs’ past five premiership captains in various roles.

Terry Lamb, Andrew Ryan, Peter Tunks, Steve Mortimer and George Peponis all skippered the club to glory in their respective eras.

KATO OTTIO: Game pulls together for family

PRESEASON: Foran fit for Dogs opener

Andrew Ryan, George Peponis, Peter Tunks, Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer, with new coach Dean Pay. Picture. Phil Hillyard
It’s 14-years since Ryan hoisted the Provan-Summons trophy after the Bulldogs emerged triumphant from one of the great grand finals against the Roosters in 2004, and they’re ready to end the drought.

Backrow enforcer Adam Elliott says the playing group have bought into the bid to restore the club to glory, and that supporters can expect a new-look game plan from the side in 2018.

“Our stock standard this year is going to be to make sure that each team we play against knows that when they get off the field that they’ve played against the Bulldogs,” Elliott said.

“We want teams to feel sore leading into their next game.

“There was a few times last year where we heard rumours that teams were happy to stick with us because they knew we couldn’t go the full length.

“That’s something that hurts you as a footy player, it hurts your pride a bit.”

Adam Elliott says the players are embracing the history. (Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
When Des Hasler took over as head coach in 2012 he ushered in a successful game plan centred around versatile, ball-playing forwards.

The strategy took the Dogs to a grand final in his first season and again in 2014, before becoming stale at the back end of his tenure with the club.

Elliott says the focus for the upcoming season has shifted to an old school approach, with a run first past second mindset at the forefront of the new plan.

“Whether we win or we lose we want to be known as competitors,” Elliott said.

“I think that comes down to running hard before any of that ball playing or expansive style of play.

“We want to be known as a tough pack and a tough 17 each week that are going to work hard for each other.”

What few people in the game know is that Elliott has a history in rugby league as a five-eighth, wearing the six on his back while playing for Country under-16s as well as at various other stages of his career.

Having found his feet as an established first-grader, the Tathra product will look to draw on his creative ability next season, likely as a ball playing lock.

“I’ll probably move a bit closer to the ruck which I think will be good for me because I’ll get my hands on the ball a bit more, and I’ll be in the middle with the bigger boys,” he said.

Klemmer and Woods will bring plenty of bite.
“Then in attack I can shift the ball. We’ve got a few big boys like Klemmer and Woods, if I can shift the ball to them with a few short passes here and there I think that can be pretty dangerous for us.

“It took me a while but I’ve got that confidence now, and I know that my teammates have that faith in me.

“I think that if it comes to the point where the best option is to put it on the boot and roll one through or find an offload through the line or things like that that involve a bit more ball playing, I’ll have the confidence to do that.

“I’ll know my teammates would have the confidence for me to do that as well.”

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great chat from Elliott. He improved massively in 2017 and deserves a starting spot imo. Looks like it’ll be...

11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliott

That’s a pretty aggressive back row and if they can all lift for one another then we’ll see the best in all of them.

BRING ON 2018!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
OK so it seems we have Mbye at FB, Frawley at 6, Elliott at 13, if we believe what we are reading. If that is the case then that leaves a secondrow spot open for one of RFM/RM/DF/Beastwood and it would prob also mean Brown is 14, leaving the 3 other backrowers, Tolman and Taulau fighting for 3 spots on the bench. Then there are Garlick (who has been training the house down apparently), Priest (who Pay knows well) and a couple of others maybe fighting for oxygen. At least there seems to be pressure for most of the positions at the moment and that can only be good.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow..... from what i gather. He will either start lock or come off the bench to replace the lock...

Where is gotenks for his analysis hahahaha

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wouldnt mind elliott at lock esp if it opens up the edge for rfm but i think he will start the season out there and rfm on the bench because i cant see why tolman who is pretty much guaranteed to be playing would be in the team if hes not starting and playing 55+

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
OK so it seems we have Mbye at FB, Frawley at 6, Elliott at 13, if we believe what we are reading. If that is the case then that leaves a secondrow spot open for one of RFM/RM/DF/Beastwood and it would prob also mean Brown is 14, leaving the 3 other backrowers, Tolman and Taulau fighting for 3 spots on the bench. Then there are Garlick (who has been training the house down apparently), Priest (who Pay knows well) and a couple of others maybe fighting for oxygen. At least there seems to be pressure for most of the positions at the moment and that can only be good.
Li has said RFM has made the left side his own in an interview on the dogs site

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow..... from what i gather. He will either start lock or come off the bench to replace the lock...

Where is gotenks for his analysis hahahaha
Said he’s got Klemmer and woods with him who are both starters

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score

CANTERBURY-Bankstown’s preseason focus has been simple: to regain their reputation as Dogs of war.

New coach Dean Pay vowed to restore the values of the famous club that have somewhat faded in recent years, and he immediately acted on his word with the appointment of the Bulldogs’ past five premiership captains in various roles.

Terry Lamb, Andrew Ryan, Peter Tunks, Steve Mortimer and George Peponis all skippered the club to glory in their respective eras.

KATO OTTIO: Game pulls together for family

PRESEASON: Foran fit for Dogs opener

Andrew Ryan, George Peponis, Peter Tunks, Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer, with new coach Dean Pay. Picture. Phil Hillyard
It’s 14-years since Ryan hoisted the Provan-Summons trophy after the Bulldogs emerged triumphant from one of the great grand finals against the Roosters in 2004, and they’re ready to end the drought.

Backrow enforcer Adam Elliott says the playing group have bought into the bid to restore the club to glory, and that supporters can expect a new-look game plan from the side in 2018.

“Our stock standard this year is going to be to make sure that each team we play against knows that when they get off the field that they’ve played against the Bulldogs,” Elliott said.

“We want teams to feel sore leading into their next game.

“There was a few times last year where we heard rumours that teams were happy to stick with us because they knew we couldn’t go the full length.

“That’s something that hurts you as a footy player, it hurts your pride a bit.”

Adam Elliott says the players are embracing the history. (Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
When Des Hasler took over as head coach in 2012 he ushered in a successful game plan centred around versatile, ball-playing forwards.

The strategy took the Dogs to a grand final in his first season and again in 2014, before becoming stale at the back end of his tenure with the club.

Elliott says the focus for the upcoming season has shifted to an old school approach, with a run first past second mindset at the forefront of the new plan.

“Whether we win or we lose we want to be known as competitors,” Elliott said.

“I think that comes down to running hard before any of that ball playing or expansive style of play.

“We want to be known as a tough pack and a tough 17 each week that are going to work hard for each other.”

What few people in the game know is that Elliott has a history in rugby league as a five-eighth, wearing the six on his back while playing for Country under-16s as well as at various other stages of his career.

Having found his feet as an established first-grader, the Tathra product will look to draw on his creative ability next season, likely as a ball playing lock.

“I’ll probably move a bit closer to the ruck which I think will be good for me because I’ll get my hands on the ball a bit more, and I’ll be in the middle with the bigger boys,” he said.

Klemmer and Woods will bring plenty of bite.
“Then in attack I can shift the ball. We’ve got a few big boys like Klemmer and Woods, if I can shift the ball to them with a few short passes here and there I think that can be pretty dangerous for us.

“It took me a while but I’ve got that confidence now, and I know that my teammates have that faith in me.

“I think that if it comes to the point where the best option is to put it on the boot and roll one through or find an offload through the line or things like that that involve a bit more ball playing, I’ll have the confidence to do that.

“I’ll know my teammates would have the confidence for me to do that as well.”
Is it just me!!!

This guy goes out of his way to get his name his face everywhere

He is a nobody imao and not first grade standard

Please

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Li has said RFM has made the left side his own in an interview on the dogs site
Yes Lichaa did say Ray was going gangbusters and if Elliott moves to the middle that opens up the left side. As long as RFM has learned to tackle in the off season I'm OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.