News Canterbury Bulldogs rookie Nick Meaney told to find his voice

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It looked like Meaney was keen in support play in the games I saw him play. If a preseason learning what to expect from our forwards has helped him learn how to read the players and how they prepare to offload I think he's going to add spark to our game. Hoppa has great patches of form in attack. But they seldom last the whole season. I think Hoppa can adjust to centre pretty well. I'm hopeful that we see a far more polished attacking team this year.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It looked like Meaney was keen in support play in the games I saw him play. If a preseason learning what to expect from our forwards has helped him learn how to read the players and how they prepare to offload I think he's going to add spark to our game. Hoppa has great patches of form in attack. But they seldom last the whole season. I think Hoppa can adjust to centre pretty well. I'm hopeful that we see a far more polished attacking team this year.
Yes I agree with you with Meaney the games I seen him play also in isp he was hungry for the ball. Also I think he will be a good back up player like Lamb was as why I think he will be one of the clubs top try scorers. He is going to be good to watch

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
A long term answer for that position would be a very nice change.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pay apparently talking about Crichton in the centres. So maybe Hoppa on the other wing?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay apparently talking about Crichton in the centres. So maybe Hoppa on the other wing?
Maybe. One of the articles I read mentioned that Chrighton is training both as a centre and for the wing. Hoppa has been the Mr fix it for the backline so I think he's definitely going to be there somewhere, but it remains to be seen where.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is a better move defensively as he is taller and reasonably safe under the high ball though would like to maybe even see them switch in offense so Hoppa can get his silky hands on the ball before Chrighton to set him up. Hoppa is not a selfish player and has a decent passing game.
It's a bit out there, but in theory, it could work?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think this is a better move defensively as he is taller and reasonably safe under the high ball though would like to maybe even see them switch in offense so Hoppa can get his silky hands on the ball before Chrighton to set him up. Hoppa is not a selfish player and has a decent passing game.
It's a bit out there, but in theory, it could work?
Crichton is shorter than Hoppa, but he is a lot stronger. I think he will have the tackle breaking ability we so badly need.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton is shorter than Hoppa, but he is a lot stronger. I think he will have the tackle breaking ability we so badly need.
Yeha, which is why I think he could switch to wing in attack.
Tough carries from kick returns, low centre of grvaity to crash over the try line but let Hoppa catch the high balls, etc

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crichton inside of Reimis Smith... imagine that!!
I reckon Harper inside Smith is one damaging combo... Two awkward lanky agile strong guys. How ugly would that be to go up against.

Hoppa and Crighton on the other side... yup.

Wish we had a decent FB... SOS DYLAN EDWARDS or B-French!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon Harper inside Smith is one damaging combo... Two awkward lanky agile strong guys. How ugly would that be to go up against.

Hoppa and Crighton on the other side... yup.

Wish we had a decent FB... SOS DYLAN EDWARDS or B-French!!!
Crichton inside Smith, Harper inside Holland/Montoya (or vice versa).
With Meaney or Hoppa out the back.

Gives you size, power and aggression in the centres and tall, agile, lanky wingers.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Of all the previous dogs players Nick Meaney is one I would definitely welcome back. Not because he is a local Ballina boy, well partly, but because he always seemed to have potential. Speed obviously but watching him tonight it looks like he has developed his game out of sight.
Might just be having a great game but he looks fit and sharp. Will be interesting to see if he has also developed consistency.

Dogs Rule

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Of all the previous dogs players Nick Meaney is one I would definitely welcome back. Not because he is a local Ballina boy, well partly, but because he always seemed to have potential. Speed obviously but watching him tonight it looks like he has developed his game out of sight.
Might just be having a great game but he looks fit and sharp. Will be interesting to see if he has also developed consistency.
He has been playing like that since Papi got injured last year. Always had a lot of potential. It's just a shame we had a bunch of coaches who couldn't get the best out of him. Shame Ciro didn't get his hands on him.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He’s had a great game. Helps being surrounded by great spine in grant Munster and Hughes…Though I’ve watched him. He’s average as fuck overall.

Chooks simply aren’t what they were either and been poor tonight.

How did Meaney look when we beat them?

Munster is up there with Tommy turbo as much of a influential player goes.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Points taken but he is still putting himself in the position to take advantage of the skill around him.
I would rate him above average as an NRL back.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He’s had a great game. Helps being surrounded by great spine in grant Munster and Hughes…Though I’ve watched him. He’s average as fuck overall.

Chooks simply aren’t what they were either and been poor tonight.

How did Meaney look when we beat them?

Munster is up there with Tommy turbo as much of a influential player goes.
People still having cheap shots at Meaney haha.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd have been quite happy if both him and Cogger were still here. I saw good potential in both of them.
They’re both alright players… I don’t know about ‘happy’. Meaney wouldn’t crack our back 5. Hes on par with Perham… they’re both alright players

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
The Nick Meaney issue is very frustrating for me.
I don’t think I’m alone in saying it was clear he could have been a star and just needed development but we and he was absolutely helpless as we didn’t have the cattle and team to develop him the way we needed.
I wrote about it back then. Saying he’s a star in making but the position the doggs was in meant we needed the ready made player.