Canterbury Bulldogs prop David Klemmer embracing fatherhood & post-Origin heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...als-with-postorigin-heat-20150812-gixg1r.html

New dad David Klemmer may have come under extra scrutiny from opposition players since his Origin debut but teammate Josh Jackson says the Bulldogs enforcer thrives on the added contact.

Klemmer created a stir during Origin when he lashed out at Corey Parker's demand for "respect". Since then he has struggled to fly under the radar with Jackson certain that

Klemmer has come in for added attention from other teams.

"If I was playing on another team he would be one of the guys you'd speak about during the week because he is a key factor in getting us moving forward," Jackson said.

"I'd imagine he would be targeted a little bit more. He thrives on that sort of stuff. He is a great competitor and he loves it. He is a really humble guy. Always works hard and has since I've trained with him. [He is] one of the hardest workers in the team off the field. I can't see a change in him at all. He is still working on his game and just ripping in every week."

Klemmer returned to Suncorp Stadium to play Brisbane last Friday for the first time since the Blues' series-deciding loss to Queensland. With Aiden Tolman returning from injury, Klemmer reprised his role as interchange impact player in the 18-16 win against Brisbane. In just 45 minutes he finished with a game-high 201 metres.

Klemmer said the Blues' 52-6 loss to Queensland still burnt him. "I probably won't forget that last game for the rest of my playing career," Klemmer said. "It was a big learning curve for me, I'll keep building on that in years to come. There were people hammering me on the [sidelines at Suncorp Stadium on Friday], which was good. It was good to get the win up there, really needed it, to stay in this top eight we need to start winning games.

"I took a lot out of that [Origin] series. I took a lot of confidence out of it. It's been pretty good, I've taken a lot of it back to the club, trying to lift the intensity around the club, and I've really enjoyed it."

While Jackson rated Klemmer a "10 out of 10" on the mad scale, his Bulldogs teammate has had little choice but to mellow off the field.

At just 21, Klemmer and fiancee Chloe celebrated the birth of their second boy – Jackson – last week. Klemmer said it had kept him grounded off the field.

"A couple of sleepless nights so far, but it's all good," Klemmer said. "Have good family support, missus' family really good, they've been helping us out. Going home to see them every day is good.

"It keeps me out of trouble. I enjoy spending time with my family. I love them. Two boys, [they will be a] handful in the next few years."

The victory against Brisbane helped the Bulldogs keep their spot in the top eight. With Manly just two points behind, Jackson said the side were aware of how important victory against wooden spoon contenders Gold Coast in Gosford on Sunday is.

"It would be [a disappointing year not to make the finals]," Jackson said. "We've made the eight since I've been playing. We are in a good position – I would like to be doing a little bit better but we have the opportunity to do it. It's a matter of going out there
and winning as many games now."

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My favourite player this year by far. Always gives a fcuk after every loss

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the Origin Klemmer confronted the Toads and gave it to them. There are no cheap shot and run tacticsin his game. Klemmer will keep playing this way but get will get better at it with maturity and experience.

How the hell does being a father impact on his career? Shit! I've even done it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.