Canterbury Bulldogs playmaker Kieran Foran throws support behind interim coach Steve Georgallis

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs playmaker Kieran Foran throws support behind interim coach Steve Georgallis

Canterbury Bulldogs playmaker Kieran Foran has thrown his support behind interim coach Steve Georgallis, following the departure of Dean Pay on Tuesday morning.

Pay told the club he would not be seeing out the remainder of the 2020 season after they informed him of their plans to move in a different direction for 2021 and beyond.

That different direction looks likely to be former Manly coach Trent Barrett, with the current Panthers assistant reportedly being 'given permission' to talk to Canterbury.

But for now, it will be assistant coach and former Western Suburbs player Steve Georgallis that takes over.

“I’ve known Georgie for a number of years now...he’s obviously been at the Bulldogs for the last four seasons," Foran said.

"He coached the Canterbury Cup side deep into the finals, and he’s obviously been helping Dean out with the assistant’s role for the last couple of seasons.

"He is a guy that understands the club, he has coached a lot of the players in this roster…I know he is going to have to jump in and do everything he can to help us turn this year around.

“I’ve got great respect for Georgie…he obviously has the best interests of the club at hand."

Georgallis has never held a permanent head coach role in the NRL before, but was the Panthers interim coach for 11 games back in 2011.

The 52-year old joined the Bulldogs in 2017, and Foran said he has not wasted any time getting stuck into preparations for the Bulldogs' round 10 clash with the Dragons.

“Georgie has been pretty vocal already this morning…it’s been a pretty hectic morning with everything that’s going on," he said.

"We didn’t want to delay training or postpone it; we thought the best thing for all the staff and players was to jump straight into it and get out onto the field.

"He’s been chatting with a number of us senior guys about what the week looks like moving forward, and we were discussing footy as we have always done.

“As hard as it’s been this morning, we have to get on with whats happened. We’ve got no time to be rattled – the season has been disappointing so far.

"As a club we need better results, we need to turn it around. As hard as it’s been, we have to get on with the job at hand."

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty sound words from Foran. Interesting that he has gone on record about it. He is arguably our most experienced player, although he hasn't played as much as Tolman or Jackson, he has been around a lot more and seen more of clubland than they have. He has also faced immense pressure before. My read is he is stepping up to the media to help take the heat off the other players.

Also, his approach of honest acknowledgement of existing problems but determination to be positive is good. The "be positive" is obvious, but it can be tempting to adopt that mindset by ignoring rather than acknowledging real problems that exist and ultimately that tends to have a poor outcome.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pays gone but the circus must go on lol.!!!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD what else is he going to say???
George is a **** and I don’t want to play for him??
This bloke just needs to keep his mouth shut and concentrate on playing up to his pay grade

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like foz will throw his support behind anyone

(especially If it means getting a new bumper deal)
Foran has a lot of friends outside of the Bulldogs, and he is on record acknowledging that his next contract will be a lot smaller and indicating that he wants to help the club in the future. He doesn't need to be there, he chooses to be there. Right now we need that.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can Georgalis get the players to do the zorba after our next win..

That would be entertaining..

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Arse licking a again

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could’ve got the Harvey Norman women’s coach and he would’ve done better

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I remember players saying the same thing about Dymock when Moore left

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Even if he doesn’t rate Georgallis he’s not going to say it publicly...

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take was - pays gone who gives a toss, lets move on.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can Georgalis get the players to do the zorba after our next win..

That would be entertaining..
At least take them to the Greek church up the road and pray they play a more orthodox game.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A win on the weekend is not impossible, lets play footy.