Canterbury Bulldogs on verge of worst losing streak in Des Hasler’s NRL coaching career

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
DES Hasler is staring down the barrel of the worst losing streak of his illustrious coaching career as he attempts to finalise a new contract at the Bulldogs.

In the wake of Thursday night’s 28-24 defeat to the Roosters, the Bulldogs suffered a double blow with fullback Will Hopoate (fractured left eye socket) and winger Kerrod Holland (AC right shoulder) facing extended time on the sideline.

It only mounts more pressure on everyone at Belmore with the Bulldogs now having lost their last six games, stretching back to round 24 last year.

It equals Hasler’s longest losing run since his rookie year at Manly in 2004.

That year the Sea Eagles won their opening game but went on to lose their next six, before ultimately finishing 13th.

The Bulldogs’ last win was in round 23 last year against Manly in extra time. If they don’t get over the Warriors in their home game which they switched to Dunedin next Friday it will be the first time a Hasler-coached team has lost seven consecutive games.

It is not ideal for a coach trying to wrap up negotiations for a new deal that have dragged on for the best part of a year.

Hasler said before the start of the season discussions were “really positive” and he expected a new contract to be finalised soon.

But Matty Johns said on Fox Sports after the loss to the Roosters that he thinks Hasler will be heading back to Manly next year. Hasler’s name has also been linked to St George Illawarra.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle told The Daily Telegraph that while negotiations were ongoing, she expected Hasler to remain at Belmore next year.

“Both parties are continuing to work towards an outcome,” Castle said.

“It is positive. We haven’t put a time frame on it.”

Castle had heard Johns’ comments but maintained she was confident Sea Eagles speculation was not right.

“That is the same source as when I was driving down the road 24 months ago when Matty Johns announced the Bulldogs were going to sign Jarryd Hayne the following morning,” Castle joked.

“I was thinking, if that was happening I’d probably know about it.”

Asked if she thought Hasler would be at the club next year, Castle said: “Yes I do.”

While Hasler is going through a lean run now, his overall record speaks for itself.

Hasler has coached his team into the playoffs every year since missing out in his rookie 2004 season.

In that time he has taken teams to five grand finals, winning two premierships at Manly, and making two grand finals in his five years at the Bulldogs.

While the Bulldogs are without a win in 2017, it’s hard to fault their effort. They battled bravely against the Roosters to only go down by four points after losing Holland and Hopoate, and in round one they lost by six points in the Belmore slush to Melbourne.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/cc05babf193a6133f7629437a2585501

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Resign.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Remember to walk your dog at an appropriate speed.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not slow like Des

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
last year was last year who cares about the streak rolling into this year. 0/2 isn't a horrible situation, cowboys lost a few of their first games the year they won then they clicked into gear. Not saying it will happen to us but its by no means a season write off. I actually think we've improved, the roosters and storm are top teams and we were very unlucky to lose both games (went very close a number of times to scoring a 2nd try against the storm and against the roosters it was 5 tries a piece with goal kicking letting us down so there are definitely still some positive signs there

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's funny. I think if anyone was coaching the current squad we'd be losing 50-0 every week.

On the other hand though Des is probably also to blame for the shit squad in the first place. lol

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's funny. I think if anyone was coaching the current squad we'd be losing 50-0 every week.

On the other hand though Des is probably also to blame for the shit squad in the first place. lol
Pretty much, but like you said this is the team that Des built and if they're not good enough its his fault.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think you want Hasler replaced by a nobody though... Dean Pay, Dymock untested and only being chased by our club. Kevin Walters has to enquired about. Spent years in Melbourne and as of late Broncos system as assistant coach and now QLD origin coach.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you want Hasler replaced by a nobody though... Dean Pay, Dymock untested and only being chased by our club. Kevin Walters has to enquired about. Spent years in Melbourne and as of late Broncos system as assistant coach and now QLD origin coach.
You may be right, an untested coach is a gamble but I've seen what we've had for the past 5 years and i am very prepared to try a rookie coach who may have new positive ideas but more so attract better players .
Des is done for mine, time to try something new.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
“That is the same source as when I was driving down the road 24 months ago when Matty Johns announced the Bulldogs were going to sign Jarryd Hayne the following morning,” Castle joked.

Hey Rae Rae, you're the one that said we wouldn't be signing Hopa and we hadn't spoken to him in your blogging with the boss so I wouldn't go accusing people of talking shit before looking at yourself first.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sick to death of the "Des contract saga" ........ make a f#kn decision already... this is definitely adding to the instability.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The year of Haslers worst losing streak was the last time we won the comp (only thing I realised after reading that article) lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dymocks been holding Des nuts since 2012 I wish he grew a pair and voices his concerns especially the halves

He can fk off with Des too

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
last year was last year who cares about the streak rolling into this year. 0/2 isn't a horrible situation, cowboys lost a few of their first games the year they won then they clicked into gear. Not saying it will happen to us but its by no means a season write off. I actually think we've improved, the roosters and storm are top teams and we were very unlucky to lose both games (went very close a number of times to scoring a 2nd try against the storm and against the roosters it was 5 tries a piece with goal kicking letting us down so there are definitely still some positive signs there
7 tries to 6 in 2 losing games is pretty good, however it means nothing unless we win 2 out of the next three.

doggies_92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Grimaldi coaches his son's U/15s team and they have won the last 2 GFs, promote him I say! He's ready.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I believe KW can be a good club coach, but im not sure if he can juggle the 2 roles. Which is why these days they go for someone who's not affiliated with a club and vice versa. Bellamy tried but failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.