Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Michael Lichaa let off leash by coach Dean Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-leash-by-coach-dean-pay-20180218-h0w9mk.html

Before Canterbury's first outing of the year on Queensland's Sunshine Coast on the weekend Dean Pay told dummy half Michael Lichaa that if he found himself near the try line he should have a crack at it himself.

"I hadn't heard that for a long time," Lichaa told Fairfax Media.

It is the kind of simple instruction, a green light for adventure, that has the Bulldogs hooker in such high spirits and imbued with confidence as the NRL season approaches.

The shackles removed from his playing style after the exit of Des Hasler from Belmore, Lichaa picked up where he left off in the last few rounds of 2017 by starring in his only pre-season hit-out, a 16-12 win over Canberra on Saturday night.

Dropped to reserve grade at one stage last season and then farewelled at the club's presentation night, such was the expectation that he would not be offered a new contract, the 24-year-old is revelling at no longer having to look over his shoulder or worry about his future.

"I've heard a lot over the years...people say it's good [having] competition for spots and everyone pushing each other. You might be off contract and 'it's good because you're playing for that [new contract]'," he said.

"But to be honest as a footy player I find it really difficult and I think most people do actually. You want to be pushed but you definitely want to know where you stand, have confidence that 'I'm the hooker' or if you're a half 'I'm the half'. Not going in each week [thinking] 'Oh shit, if I have a bad game, I could be gone here'."

Pay, who has known Lichaa since the No.9's NSW under-20s days, has restored the vigour of a player who was so highly rated coming through the ranks that Canterbury effectively traded Michael Ennis to get him, a significant change to the club's roster that hindsight wasn't kind to.

It is not that Lichaa plans on playing without regard for consequence but he feels free to play what is in front of him again.

"To have a coach's blessing to back yourself and take them on ... it's hard to explain but [Pay] says 'just go for it'. He's not going to yell at me if I take the wrong option. I like that," Lichaa said.

"He's like 'run when you want, mate' and if it's the wrong option, it's the wrong option, there is nothing you can do about it. It's probably benefiting a few other guys now, too.

"They might push the offload, whereas last year they probably didn't, or run to a different spot in the field. It mightn't be the exact spot that you trained at but if you can see a bit of space, just go for it. I really like that about him. It's just 'play footy'."

Lichaa did just that in 40 minutes on the field on the weekend during which Kieran Foran, Canterbury's high-profile recruit, made his first appearance for the club at halfback. Foran combined well on the right side of the field with new captain Josh Jackson but Lichaa said the New Zealand international won't be limited to that channel.

"He's calling all the shots out there. He's on the ball," he said.

"He's not really just a right-side player. It just happened that he was playing on the ball a lot on the right. He's either side of the ruck this year and it's really good for us because he's a freak. He takes the line on and he's not afraid to get hit."

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good work leash!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
"To have a coach's blessing to back yourself and take them on ... it's hard to explain but [Pay] says 'just go for it'. He's not going to yell at me if I take the wrong option. I like that," Lichaa said.
"He's like 'run when you want, mate' and if it's the wrong option, it's the wrong option, there is nothing you can do about it. It's probably benefiting a few other guys now, too.
"They might push the offload, whereas last year they probably didn't, or run to a different spot in the field. It mightn't be the exact spot that you trained at but if you can see a bit of space, just go for it. I really like that about him. It's just 'play footy'."
THAT is the most exciting part to read. Pays letting players play to their strengths, not some overly complicated statistical bullshit.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good thing this whole new department has been changed over from top to bottom. I actually put Lichaa in my supercoach to see how he goes, seeing this is going to make me cringe lol

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love how Pay is letting the boys just play footy and not act like robots, saying that we do also have to limit ourselves at times and make sure we aren’t always pushing the offload if it isn’t there or be out of position for too long, as long as there is a healthy balance then I’m happy.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay is starting to turn me on. Is that bad?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Over time it will all come out I guess but this little snippet grabbed my interest, "or run to a different spot in the field. It mightn't be the exact spot that you trained at but if you can see a bit of space, just go for it."

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's scary reading how regimented the game plans were. It is like they were nothing but robots.
What's scarier is that they couldn't admit to it while it was happening.
It's like they were genuinely scared of Des. Like they were abused housewives

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs faced with non-trained game situation....

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank Christ that a coach has finally taken the kennels advice

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Over time it will all come out I guess but this little snippet grabbed my interest, "or run to a different spot in the field. It mightn't be the exact spot that you trained at but if you can see a bit of space, just go for it."
Tolman on the 4th!!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems Lichaa and Foran will be our X-factors this yr... I'm in Love.

Status
Not open for further replies.