Canterbury Bulldogs head coach Des Hasler on hunt for Ben Barba fullback replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DES Hasler's desperation to secure a fullback who can deliver him another premiership is all that stands between Ben Barba and Brisbane.

Bulldogs powerbrokers are virtually resigned to losing the reigning Dally M medallist, who last month requested a release to move to Brisbane with his young family at the end of this year.

But while Canterbury CEO Raelene Castle on Friday night acknowledged the “genuine reasons” behind Barba’s request, the club will not sign-off on any release until Hasler agrees.

“(Des) will have a very big say,” Castle said. “He’s a major stakeholder in this discussion.”

A release could prove troublesome unless Hasler secures another fullback to fill Barba’s brilliant boots, a difficult task that’s consumed him for the past month at least.

The two-time premiership winning coach has identified fullback as a key position in his tilt for a maiden title at Belmore, and wants a champion quality player to compliment his halves.

Hasler made contact with representatives of Josh Dugan last last month in a bid to preserve his team’s match-winning flair, only to be told the Dragons superstar would be staying with his current club.

It can also be revealed that Canterbury recently double-checked Israel Folau’s availability, but were again informed the dual International was committed to signing a new deal with the ARU.

Either way, Barba is now personally committed to living in Brisbane next year after confirming the game’s worst-kept secret on Fox Sports show Sterlo on Thursday night.

The Bulldogs did not authorise the interview, which was run as part of Barba’s personal sponsorship with the network.

His statements about wanting to move to Brisbane sparked furore among Bulldogs fans, forcing Barba to clarify his position in a statement last night.

“I’m really close to my daughters and working hard on my relationship,” Barba said.

“Their move to Brisbane would create a difficult situation for me to be playing football in Sydney, which I hope people can understand,” Barba said.

Another silver lining to his Broncos deal will be a much-improved salary, with Barba understood to be earning less than $400,000-a-season at Canterbury.

Brisbane are planning to play Barba at fullback in 2014, with Raiders sensation Anthony Milford earmarked for the No. 6 jersey.

Milford has requested a release from Canberra. His deal includes a get-out clause to allow the youngster to return home in the event that his father was ill.

Milford is now attempting to activate the clause, but Canberra officials are digging their heels in, but have been threatened with legal action should the release not be granted.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...risbane-broncos/story-fn2mcuj6-1226698684248#

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The only one i can see other than barba that is of champion quality and can help deliver that premiership is ISRAEL FOLAU.There also could be a case for SAM TOMKINS but he is untried so would come with a major ? mark.It is looking fairly grimm fellow supporters.If barba had off told us hed be going earlier we could of probably landed folau because we would of had some money to offer him but we will end up paying an ultimate price to cater for barbas needs.I think he could of stuck out the two years and taken the short flight up there once a week to see them.ONCE again weve been ****ed over.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't I tell you that the interview was orchestrated by his manager?

The ice is melting and the shit is being revealed...

Money is a major issue, he is after $850,000... Give it to him and he will stay.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Would love to be a fly on the wall in Dessies office , I say if we cant find a replacement triple his contract and make him stay with a strong clause that if he doesnt turn up to play , doesnt try or his heart isnt in it his contract will return to the previous amount and he wont be released . This is a massive test for Ms Castle

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Money is a major issue, he is after $850,000... Give it to him and he will stay.
**** that! He's not worth near 850!! Is he for real. He's had one good season. He'll be another Hayne. Breakout year and then flashes here and there every few games. GI and Slater are worth 850..for now, Ben is worth 600 max ! **** him off now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
DES Hasler's desperation to secure a fullback who can deliver him another premiership is all that stands between Ben Barba and Brisbane.
Fullbacks don't deliver premierships, teams win them.

IMO the Bulldogs would be much better off if they released Barba, and at the same time went shopping for two two big fast wingers who can contest the high ball in attack and defence. With Lafai and Morris in the centres and these two wingers signed the bulldogs could get away with a less brilliant than Barba fullback.

2012 was "Barba's year" when he performed feats that will never be seen again, and after all, Barba was only brilliant in attack. He is still suspect in defence and under the high ball.

HSHS

Waterboy
Reaction score
Barba is yesterdays news as far as winning matches is concerned. He is a good player but not a GI or Slater. The opposition know his play and he is struggling. And when you struggle you look to other methods to placate yourself ie grog, the Tab or womanising. I said at the beginning of the year Barba would want out anf head north.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barba is yesterdays news as far as winning matches is concerned. He is a good player but not a GI or Slater. The opposition know his play and he is struggling. And when you struggle you look to other methods to placate yourself ie grog, the Tab or womanising. I said at the beginning of the year Barba would want out anf head north.
I have to agree that Barba is yesterday's hero. But why is he struggling? IMO that he is in conflict with other Bulldogs players.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score

The question is, do the fans really want him to stay after using our jersey as a toilet paper?..I for one don't.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think Barba has done his dash with the majority of fans, in most cases in life you don't get second chances!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People forget barba was woeful at bombs and tackling before dessie got his hands on him ,dessie only needs a speedy fullback with some talent like a kevin locke or that evander cummings and an off season des will turn him into a superstar ,piss him off now hes affecting team morale

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Has this F**KER never heard of the motto "BRO'S BEFORE HOES" if only he had stuck with this, none of this shit would be happening.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
it is as clear as day light that the whole Barba issue is about money and only money.

This vermin has already fcked up our 2013 and it is highly likely we will be without a quality full back for next 2-3 years hence our next 3 years are fcked too.

I say its time to stand up to this BS, fuck Barba!, make him stay at the club but not as a player but stand him down or put him in reggies till the end of the contract.

This will send a clear message to all those mofos, selfish, money hungry, unloyal basterds who treat contracts like toilet paper.

After 2 years of no footy no he will be lucky to get a contract let alone big money at any other club.

Raelene Castle , fans are looking anxiously on what actions you are going to take as after Mason, SBW, Hannant saga this is going to make or break Bulldogs fan club who have already gone through the same BS a number of times for last 7 years!!!

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has this F**KER never heard of the motto "BRO'S BEFORE HOES" if only he had stuck with this, none of this shit would be happening.
generally speaking
takes 2 to tango, just gotta be strong and refuse the temptation ask Rodzilla he will tell ya! lol

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why does the press continue to say that Des or the Club were interested in chasing Josh Dugan when Raelene and Dugan's Manager both denied that there was any approach made to secure Dugan' services??? besides I don't think the Dogs would have wanted to take Canberra's dirty laundry.

halpo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Personally I'm happy Barba's going,not much point carrying a player who doesn't want to be here,causing team disharmony,no player,no matter how good they think they are, is more important than the team and its success ,so bye-bye benny,hope you find millions elsewhere,the worry now is who replaces him!PS I hope they don't start looking at ferguson

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
generally speaking
takes 2 to tango, just gotta be strong and refuse the temptation ask Rodzilla he will tell ya! lol
You saying there were 2 bro's going at it?..lols

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the issue, he's not worth that much, no freaking way. If he backed up this year what he did last year, hell give him more, you cannot demand that much money after one good year. At best on his form 650,000

Status
Not open for further replies.