News Canterbury Bulldogs could play games at Belmore if coronavirus NRL fan shut-out continues

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury will explore the prospect of moving their home games to Belmore if fans are locked out of venues long-term.

The Bulldogs will become the first club to host a match behind closed doors when they play North Queensland at ANZ Stadium on Thursday night.

While that match will remain at the Sydney Olympic Park venue, Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill said that club was exploring the possibility of switching games to Belmore Sports Ground should the lockouts continue.

Belmore remains the club’s spiritual home.
“The advice regarding the lockouts only came through late on Friday afternoon,” Hill said. “After talking to ANZ Stadium management we will go ahead with our first game at the venue on Thursday. However we will review all options which will include the potential of using Belmore Sports Grounds in future matches as a possibility.

“We are one of the few clubs who have that opportunity.”

The Bulldogs are slated to play a round 10 match against Manly at Belmore already. Because they already play at the venue there would be no issues with television broadcasts. While the Bulldogs train at the venue full-time.

Following their round two clash against the Cowboys on Thursday, the Bulldogs are not slated for another home game until round four where they are due to host the Sharks at ANZ Stadium. They will play Parramatta at the venue on April 18.

“We are clearly the first home team to play on Thursday,” Hill said. “It will be a significant financial hit to our club ranging in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. We wait advice from the government and the NRL around possible compensation. However our clear focus at this stage is still preparing for a game of football.”

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, how are clubs meant to absorb the financial ramifications of the coronavirus fall out? I hope that ANZ will alow us some freedom in regards to our contract to lay there. Perhaps they should seaze the opportunity and redevelop early.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as we get to watch our bulldogs play 25 rounds I don’t care where it’s played .!!! Just gotta see my team play each week.