News Canterbury Bulldogs confirm big opportunity for former Hull FC halfback but it’ll be tough for former Wests Tigers star

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
JR is a runner of the ball and an opportunist.
If he simply gets guys like Burton and Flanno to run the ball and go for the opportunistic play when it presents, he has done his job.

We are still a developing team, so taking a chance and failing shouldn't be discouraged if it means we as a team learn from it and work out a way to get it right next time.
Honestly, if his body holds up, he'd be the perfect 14.

spaced_monkey

Waterboy
Reaction score
I get the feeling Reynolds has been signed as a pre season pace setter. $12k investment to help push along the young guys - see what they’re made of up until Christmas. Only good things in having him around the club

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wonder why clubs have locked down Top 30 so early, when the ability to sign players for next season has only just opened.

What happens if we snag another player, and they get released to play this year for us, we are stuck.
I guess it shows other clubs that we are interested in keeping our players like Allan, even though we may not .
Keeping them outside top 30 drops their value to us at negotiation table. I feel like we have always been in the position of needing to release a player to sign another of note. That's my outlook on it anyways

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wonder why clubs have locked down Top 30 so early, when the ability to sign players for next season has only just opened.

What happens if we snag another player, and they get released to play this year for us, we are stuck.
Top 30 is about to be made irrelevant if the RLPA gets its way, and they usually do, then it's 40 players with NRL contracts.

Always a Bulldog

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
hahahahahah he is no halfback!
He is not a regular hb sure, but could potentially fill the void for a year and offer some leadership in the spine, which we desperately need. Someone who is confident enough to demand the ball and play what he sees in front of him. Burton will do the rest.
Flange is hardly a decent option!

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
$12k investment to help push along the young guys
There's no downside here.

Worst case, we have shown respect to a great clubman, provided an opportunity, and spent $12k to bring his enthusiasm and passion for the Bulldogs home. He and the fans deserve no less, so good on the club (and Ciraldo in particular) for making it happen. If it doesn't work out, then no hard feelings.

Then there are the varying degrees of upside (each has its probabilities, some of them quite slim I would think, but hey, it's just an opportunity):
1. (Top of the list) He kills it and demands the #30 spot. Good for him (if it happens) and he's available for round 1 selection if he fits into the top 17.
2. (Next Best) He goes okay but not top 30. They put him in the extended list where he helps the NSW Cup boys develop and improve, and he becomes a selection option from round 10.
3. (Most likely - IMO) He doesn't make the standard, but he's given it everything and earnt the respect of the playing group. We have a superfit and ready-made onfield trainer that knows the boys, has their respect, and has bonded with them. His enthusiasm is contagious and well worthwhile keeping around.
4. It doesn't work out and he takes up some other kind of role with the club (juniors, etc).
5. (Worst Case) We spent $12k, it's not on our cap, and he wanders off into retirement.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Or.. The club is keeping it's options open to either promote someone else from a train and trial deal to a top 30 contract or look to sign someone else if anyone decent becomes available.

The media love this Josh Reynolds story, no matter how unlikely it is he plays FG for us.
and the inbred fans are swallowing the load like its there last meal

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't see it happening. At the latter stages of a career one needs talent more than effort.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait....so you say JR is taking up opportunities.....but also it is up to the club to decide whether the players he is supposedly taking opportunities from are ready to actually take them themselves? If that's the case, isn't it also up to the club to determine whether JR can be of value in our top 30?

Sorry, I don't buy that he is taking opportunities from other kids for a minute. I think in all probability they aren't ready yet and experience in key positions is something the club is sorely lacking. Even if he doesn't play a minute of first grade, JR's experience will be invaluable. And if his body holds up, he'd be a great option to play 14. Young kids like Rajab are better off playing 80 minutes in reggies every week than 10-15 mins off the bench in firsts, anyway.
A place in the top 30 doesn’t mean JR would be the bench utility. He shouldn’t be in our top 30 in 2023 when he wasn’t good when he left us last time

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Fark I was excited to open this up and read as it mentioned a halfback, then it was Reynolds. Sigh. Don't know why we decide our top 30 so soon, the NRL haven't even decided the fukin salary cap yet!

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anyone bought his shirt partnership with Vintage Mode? D73AB761-3354-4DBB-B5E2-F44063668F50.jpeg

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
A place in the top 30 doesn’t mean JR would be the bench utility. He shouldn’t be in our top 30 in 2023 when he wasn’t good when he left us last time
Leave it to the coaches, mate.... I'm not saying he will be the bench utility, but if he stays fit, I don't think it would be a bad option. He could be very effective in short bursts.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Worst case, we have shown respect to a great clubman, provided an opportunity, and spent $12k to bring his enthusiasm and passion for the Bulldogs home. He and the fans deserve no less, so good on the club (and Ciraldo in particular) for making it happen. If it doesn't work out, then no hard feelings.

Then there are the varying degrees of upside (each has its probabilities, some of them quite slim I would think, but hey, it's just an opportunity):
1. (Top of the list) He kills it and demands the #30 spot. Good for him (if it happens) and he's available for round 1 selection if he fits into the top 17.
2. (Next Best) He goes okay but not top 30. They put him in the extended list where he helps the NSW Cup boys develop and improve, and he becomes a selection option from round 10.
3. (Most likely - IMO) He doesn't make the standard, but he's given it everything and earnt the respect of the playing group. We have a superfit and ready-made onfield trainer that knows the boys, has their respect, and has bonded with them. His enthusiasm is contagious and well worthwhile keeping around.
4. It doesn't work out and he takes up some other kind of role with the club (juniors, etc).
5. (Worst Case) We spent $12k, it's not on our cap, and he wanders off into retirement.

Wait..are you saying there is no downside here? Lol
I agree mate minimal to in fact no risk.

Points 4 and 5 are most valid and most likely really, he would have to go enormous in training to get a gig playing imo and I just don't see it..a role behind the scenes yep sure no issue with that.
If he doesn't cut it does he 1.want to play reggies and 2. should we have him there mentoring from on field but possibly hindering a developing half or lock of game time?
I reckon FG or bust if it comes to that..he may see it the same way.

@Gun origin was how many years ago? and he assisted in leading us to grand finals 8 and 10 years ago. Some halves particularly are durable well into their 30s as we see currently but i haven't seen signs at all he is or can be one of these types.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two speedster wingers need that bullet cut out pass right on the chest, who has it?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If reynolds can come back and play some good footy to lock down our halfback position, we'll be much better off then if we run with flange.
We should all be hoping for this outcome rather then death riding him!
I love to see him succeed, but will he be the halfback that he never was ?
I think if he regain fitness and strength he will end up to be the super-sub I've always thought he can be !