News Canterbury Bulldogs confirm big opportunity for former Hull FC halfback but it’ll be tough for former Wests Tigers star

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the NRL clubs are beginning to confirm their squads for the 2023 season.

Canberra Raiders did as such last week naming 29 out of the 30 players permitted leaving open a spot presumably for former Huddersfield Giants hooker Danny Levi to take over.

Today, the Canterbury Bulldogs have followed suit naming 29 of their top 30 squad for the 2023 season as their pre-season preparations begin.

The available players within that 29 have also been joined by the NSW Cup players at the club as well as the train and trial contracted stars including former Wests Tigers and Hull FC star Josh Reynolds.

The Daily Telegraph today revealed that the halfback was earning $1,000 a week on this contract compared to the $16,500 he earnt a week at Wests Tigers.

However, with the confirmation of these 29 players, it underlines the opportunity in front of him as he certainly has the chance to claim that last spot within the 30 and earn a bigger deal and settle his place as his beloved club where he started his career.

However, to nail down that spot, Reynolds will have to fend off the other players on train and trial contracts at the Bulldogs.

Perhaps this opening would not have been available but for the decision of Josh Jackson to retire.

This has lessened the pressure on their salary cap and could also see former St Helens star Luke Thompson appointed captain in 2023.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Or.. The club is keeping it's options open to either promote someone else from a train and trial deal to a top 30 contract or look to sign someone else if anyone decent becomes available.

The media love this Josh Reynolds story, no matter how unlikely it is he plays FG for us.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reynolds did more for us than he ever did at the tigers. He played in a winning origin team and in grand finals. He pretty much nursed his wounds at the tigpies while drawing a big pay packet. Don't blame him for that. Players wind up broken by the end of their careers and all the loyalty in the world means SFA once you can't crack the NRL side. They'll dump you if they can put the money to use elsewhere.

But it's a bit of a poor job to not say it's an opportunity for a former favorite to return to the fold.

I honestly wish Reynolds well. He's got a job ahead of him to break into the squad, but I'd love to see him rewarded with a few games if he can recapture some form.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Josh not John Reynolds actor from stranger things... how is his shoulder? only position he would fill would be utility off bench, and would need to do heaps of tackling.
His shoulder is fine .
Now that he is engaged he is ready for 2023 ,should surprise a few :grinning:
I would like him to come back and succeed .

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He can't have done too much tackling since leaving for Tigers.
So possibly a relatively fresh 33/34 year old. He hasn't done Josh Jackson's workload that's for sure.
Plus it was his enthusiasm that was his greatest contribution.
Age shall not weary his enthusiasm.
If he gets in the top 30 and gets a couple of 1st grade games, he'll definitely fire the side up. Will be worth it.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Josh not John Reynolds actor from stranger things... how is his shoulder? only position he would fill would be utility off bench, and would need to do heaps of tackling.
This whole forum feels like Stranger Things at the moment. I don't know what articles are real or from the Upside Down.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
JR :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

Bring him back to first grade. He is the 14 we need. Hell, I'd even move to lock for him. We need his experience. He absolutely needs to be in the team somewhere come Round 1.

Let's go, baby!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reynolds was finished when he left us? I admire the optimism but I’d hate for him to stifle the development of younger players like Rajab and Clarke. He should be in a role similar to James Graham or the media stuff that Steve Turner did for us

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Just focus on retaining your reggies spot. Probably end up at 14 there on your way out.
You keep telling yourself whatever you need to tell yourself to help you sleep at night... lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Reynolds was finished when he left us? I admire the optimism but I’d hate for him to stifle the development of younger players like Rajab and Clarke. He should be in a role similar to James Graham or the media stuff that Steve Turner did for us
Clarke and Rajab are not close to first grade ready yet. How could JR being in our top 30 stifle their development? His experience and enthusiasm would be helpful to them, I'd think.