News Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay facing axe ahead of St George Illawarra Dragons clash

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Pays current contract a continuation of Dib and Co deal or an extension from Ando and Co??

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay bleeds Blue & White, they will probably resign him on a 1 year contract and see what he can do with the money from the coffers for next year, if he fails then a new coach will take over what is hopefully by then a stacked team of awesome players.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Players need to return to their natural positions for a start.

headless

Waterboy
Reaction score
If we were smart we'd already have signed Flanagan for 2022 (I think that's when his ban is lifted) a pay him a F ton of money (whatever that is for coaches). Throw Ennis in as assistant coach while you're at it.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still remember that ‘95 team.
SBW, mason, maitua, shrek, shifty, bobcat and general.
What a team.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I watching NRL360 last night and they interviewed Michael McGuire, listening to him talk about the game and strategies for players was good. I honestly think Dean Pay is not capable of that. He is old school which is great, our board is trying to be old school which worked for us in the 80s.......Bulldogs DNA, Nice speeches before games, family club.................. i would rather see Dean Pay absolutely spraying the players at half time, slamming doors, throwing bottles. Players being held accountable. Being nice and old school is going to cost Dean pay his job because we are no hope of beating the dragons this week
I said a similar thing after Pay was interviewed on Fox League earlier in the year and was shot down. He’s a good guy with good values but this is professional sport in the modern era and he’s languishing miles behind the benchmark. When you listen to Maguire, Seibold, Robinson, even Brad Arthur speak, they demonstrate an in depth knowledge of the game, strategies and trends. You can see why their players and teams continually improve and evolve. Pay struggles to string a meaningful sentence together and if he can’t inspire confidence from die hard doggies fans how on earth can he inspire and improve his players. I hate to say it as I’m all for stability and loyalty, but I think the time has come to find a new head coach!

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think that alot of players have lost abit of faith in the club especially with the handling of the CHN and Okunbor situation.
The body language when DWZ presented Hoppa with his 150th game day jersey and Hoppa just saying lets get a win with a very very quiet response from the players.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay bleeds Blue & White, they will probably resign him on a 1 year contract and see what he can do with the money from the coffers for next year, if he fails then a new coach will take over what is hopefully by then a stacked team of awesome players.
Lol now that we have some fukin money to spend we need to get rid of pay and sign a coach who will help us use the millions we have available to buy the right players...ffs...sign flank for next year...just get it done....we can't afford to muck around anymore

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Sure bled blue and white when he dogged it for the eels for cash. Fuck him off

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure bled blue and white when he dogged it for the eels for cash. Fuck him off
That was Super League (us) versus the ARL (Parra) and he was a Kangaroo with the accompanying ARL contract. So it was far from a simple "money", Parra or us decision.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
Pay should feel hard done by because he inherited a pretty shit first grade team. In saying that, what Pay could have done is fixed the junior development and recruitment side. He had ample time to do that, but didn't. Players weren't improving under his coaching and coaching staff. He should be help accountable to that.
He won't be here next year - by the looks of things, we will have Thompson with Bateman as well as a strike back (hopefully) so we will be after success and Pay isn't the man to coach us to success unfortunately.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That was Super League (us) versus the ARL (Parra) and he was a Kangaroo with the accompanying ARL contract. So it was far from a simple "money", Parra or us decision.

Go Dogs
Twin I think the truth is the ‘filthy four’ as they became known signed early Super League deals and when the war escalated (along with offered salaries) they’d been left behind earnings wise and jumped ship for more money. In that respect they were no different to the Bateman’s and many others - trying to maximise their earnings during their relatively short window (back then as the game became professional). Pay was out of the game by 1999. Anyways, that was then...

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt anyone could flog the dead horse that is our 30 man roster. Pay took the gig full well knowing that it was a massive career gamble and the train wreck is just about to consume him. Remove Pay & you are still stuck with a caretaker with no credentials and a roster that has 6 NRL run on players and 24 bench/injury backup players. I think they will let Pay ride it into the ground in 2020 unless he starts conjuring continuous 30+ point thumpings. A caretaker could be a possibility but anyone with experience will not take the gig because the roster is beyond bad and not even Mosses cant part this sea.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one hope pay stays. However like any successful organisation has some changes around him. Gould would be a good mentor, but he needs a better attacking coach to support him, who ever that may be. Cut ties with some these so called supper star players. If the players can not earn there pay check rather they like the coach or not, like a business should leave. Imagine going to you boss saying we don’t like you tactics, you should leave or I won’t perform
Welcome aboard, your a brave person with this first sentence.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watching NRL360 last night and they interviewed Michael McGuire, listening to him talk about the game and strategies for players was good. I honestly think Dean Pay is not capable of that. He is old school which is great, our board is trying to be old school which worked for us in the 80s.......Bulldogs DNA, Nice speeches before games, family club.................. i would rather see Dean Pay absolutely spraying the players at half time, slamming doors, throwing bottles. Players being held accountable. Being nice and old school is going to cost Dean pay his job because we are no hope of beating the dragons this week
Bottom line is that Dean Pay is a good assistant coach. He should be in charge of a teams defence (I think thats what he did at Canberra)

He was given a chance at the dogs and it hasnt worked out. I feel a bit sorry for him because he hasnt got the roster but he has also made some ordinary decisions. Also at the time there wasnt many other options available to the board. I think you will find a few people were interviewed and turned down the job because of the state of our cap (including Macguire).

There are a few people on here mentioning holbrook. They obviously havent seen the Titans play this year. And there is no way O'Brien would have chosen us either.

If we have money to spend for next year and make a few decent signings then we might attract a good coach.