Canterbury Bulldogs Brett Morris fights for No.1 jersey after serious knee surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Still the one: After an injury-plagued 2015, Brett Morris is keen to retain the Bulldogs' fullback spot Photo: Getty Images

A routine knee cleanout resulted in a far more serious operation for Brett Morris, who has put his hand up to retain the Bulldogs No.1 jersey after finishing his first season at the club "on one leg".

Morris was plagued by injuries throughout 2015 as he battled hamstring and knee complaints which restricted him to just 14 games. It was a knee injury which progressively deteriorated from about round 20 which caused Morris the most grief. The surgery involved stem cells being inserted into his knee after the doctors found significant damage.

"It was a different surgery to what we expected so the recovery time took a bit longer," Morris said. "There was a bit of loose cartilage. Instead of taking the cartilage out they went for a different procedure. It was quite successful. The rehab time is a bit longer than a normal clean out.

"At the back end of the year I wasn't doing a lot of training. I was probably lucky to get through the captain's run. Against the Roosters in the last game of the year it was the worst it was. I was playing on only one leg.

"I could still manage to do my job but during the back end of games I struggled a bit. In the back end of the games it was pretty painful but you don't have time to think about it. After the games it would take a lot longer to recover.

"The next day it was painful walking around and a couple of days after that. By the end of the week it would settle down and I was ready to go."

Morris only recently started treadmill running but won't resume full contact until two weeks after Christmas. While he is in no danger of missing the start of the NRL season, Morris said he would need to manage his workload better as his body struggled to adapt to the intensity of playing fullback on a full-time basis, having spent the bulk of his top-grade career on the wing.

"With all the extra running I was doing during the year it probably caught up on me on the back end of the year," Morris said. "Something we will have to manage better next year.

"[My body] was getting used to it again. 2012 was the last time I played fullback and even then I only played half the year. The hamstring injury didn't help, it limited me a little bit as well."

Morris has a desire to retain the No.1 jersey. Despite the Bulldogs signing fullback option Will Hopoate, Morris was certain he would start the season at the back instead of switching to the wing. Hopoate is expected to replace St George Illawarra recruit Tim Lafai in the centres.

"I would expect to play again and I haven't heard anything otherwise," Morris said. "I'm still keen to play there. This year was the first year at the Dogs and I really enjoyed it.

"With the forward pack we have it gives me the freedom to play behind them. I can support the big boys and score a few tries sniffing around the middle. The injury didn't help but I thought the back end I was starting to get the combinations right again."

The Bulldogs also added former Warriors fullback Brad Abbey for the next three seasons.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ter-serious-knee-surgery-20151218-glrg9g.html

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Id say our backline will probs eventually look like this. That will give us 2 world class finishers on the edge and one world class centre. Holland came out of the local league and killed it in NSW cup once promoted, but i have no idea how he will go at NRL level. Still not keen on Hoppa but im sure if we went back a few years on TK, im sure there was plenty of talk about fans wanting Hoppa to come and play fb...but the thought of Hoppa/Perret playing on one edge makes me feel sick haha.
1. Hoppa
2. Rona
3. J.Morris
4. Holland
5. B.Morris

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id say our backline will probs eventually look like this. That will give us 2 world class finishers on the edge and one world class centre. Holland came out of the local league and killed it in NSW cup once promoted, but i have no idea how he will go at NRL level. Still not keen on Hoppa but im sure if we went back a few years on TK, im sure there was plenty of talk about fans wanting Hoppa to come and play fb...but the thought of Hoppa/Perret playing on one edge makes me feel sick haha.
1. Hoppa
2. Rona
3. J.Morris
4. Holland
5. B.Morris
I think with what we have this will be the best line up.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Hoppa
2. Rona
3. J.Morris
4. Holland
5. B.Morris
I think we all know des will do this though

1 Borris
2 Rona
3 Jorris
4 Hoppa
5 Grandpa

It's very scary how many points that hoppa/grandpa combo will let in.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am pretty competent in reading English language, but i have no clue what this article is trying to say.

Is Bmoz still injured?
Is his injury long term?
Why is he fighting for no.1 jersey?
Are we going to have a new fullback in 2016?

Fck I hate these kinda misleading articles with even worst Titles to go with.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am pretty competent in reading English language, but i have no clue what this article is trying to say.

Is Bmoz still injured?
Is his injury long term?

100%, stupid headline. I saw the title and thought he had just got a new injury.

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Is Bmoz still injured?
Is his injury long term?

"after serious knee SURGERY"
the surgery if for the knee he hurt during the season
and his fighting for a no. 1 jersey because of hoppa

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs Brett Morris fights for No.1 jersey after serious knee su...

"after serious knee SURGERY"
the surgery if for the knee he hurt during the season
and his fighting for a no. 1 jersey because of hoppa
But the headline reads like the injury just happened. Headline and content don't seem to match.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Backline I'd have-

1. Tyrone Phillips/Brad Abbey
2. Curtis Rona
3. Will Hopoate
4. Josh Morris
5. Brett Morris

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But the headline reads like the injury just happened. Headline and content don't seem to match.
ohh ok i know what you mean, i didnt have a problem with it though, i just read it as if he just got out of surgery

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
good on ya des. even i saw this coming, and im just a niff nuff.

5 years ago, yeah bmoz wouldve easily made the transition.... but its too late now imo.

good luck in 2016 bmoz.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol if Brett Morris has to "fight" over the fb position with floppa
tko Connor McGregor like over Aldo for me in favour of bmoz

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
good on ya des. even i saw this coming, and im just a niff nuff.

5 years ago, yeah bmoz wouldve easily made the transition.... but its too late now imo.

good luck in 2016 bmoz.
I said this last year, but all i got was "stop bagging dogs players" lol. Much rather Morris back on the wing and allow him to come infield during the game every now and then.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
People can argue all they want but at the end of the day Brett is a winger and nothing else.

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa has trained the house down boys.He is looking fitter and hungrier than ever.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa has trained the house down boys.He is looking fitter and hungrier than ever.

hmm... first good news from too69u since.... like forever.

he he he

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My mate rekons Hoppa door knocked his place last week, said he looked similar to Izzy atm and bulked up a fair bit. Didn't believe him as my mates known to talk shit and his a parra fan ahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.