Opinion Canterbury Bulldogs: 2020 round 1 predicted team

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chris Kennedy & Jamie Soward

In a daily series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2020, NRL.com looks at the improving Bulldogs.

NRL.com says: Back row recruit Joe Stimson may have to start on the bench given the calibre of starting edge forwards. With Kieran Foran out for most or all of the season, Brandon Wakeham will push Jack Cogger for a chance in the halves.

Jeremy Marshall-King looks to have shored up the No.9 jersey despite the addition of Sione Katoa while Dean Britt will need to work hard to dislodge the likes of Raymond Faitala-Mariner or Renouf To'omaga.

Jamie Soward says: The loss of Kieran Foran is huge but I would bring Brandon Wakeham in to partner Lachlan Lewis. He's shown he can lead the Fiji national team around and needs to be given some time and patience.

I'd start some younger forwards with Renouf Toomaga at prop and Tolman back to the bench and Raymond Faitala-Mariner in the second row moving Josh Jackson to lock where he doesn't have to worry about ball-playing. I like Kerrod Holland at centre with Reimis Smith and Jayden Okunbor making an impressive wing pairing meaning Nick Meaney misses out.

Canterbury Bulldogs round 1 predicted team
  1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
  2. Nick Meaney
  3. Will Hopoate
  4. Reimis Smith
  5. Jayden Okunbor
  6. Jack Cogger
  7. Lachlan Lewis
  8. Aiden Tolman
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Dylan Napa
  11. Corey Harawira-Naera
  12. Josh Jackson
  13. Adam Elliott

14. Joe Stimson
  15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  16. Renouf To'omaga
  17. Sione Katoa
Others: Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Kieran Foran, Morgan Harper, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Ofahiki Ogden, Chris Smith, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Brandon Wakeham

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/25/canterbury-bulldogs-2020-round-1-predicted-team/

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Need wakeham.. however once pay realises this, or in fact makes that change then that when we will see if he may be the difference this year.. let’s hope JMK is a main stay also from game one (Barring injuries etc)

Aside from his name not on that list then it’s as predicted an I’m happy with that..!!

bring on 2020, let’s hope it’s the year of the (surprise Doggs) !!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m going to make a prediction that Pay won’t see the year out if he starts the season with Holland or Montoya.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m going to make a prediction that Pay won’t see the year out if he starts the season with Holland or Montoya.
I'm going to make a prediction that it won't matter who Pay starts the season with, he is safe as long as we win more than our fair share of games.

Merry Xmas to All
Gary

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make a prediction that it won't matter who Pay starts the season with, he is safe as long as we win more than our fair share of games.

Merry Xmas to All
Gary
Really going out on a limb there saying Pay is safe if he wins games....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Really going out on a limb there saying Pay is safe if he wins games....
I think you are way further out on limb naming individual players who if he picks will cause him to not to see out the year. He could pick the whole U18's team and as long as we win games it would make EFF all difference.

Merry Xmas to All
Go Dogs

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are just making up the numbers and no real chance of winning the premiership ... I hate the fucking salary...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you are way further out on limb naming individual players who if he picks will cause him to not to see out the year. He could pick the whole U18's team and as long as we win games it would make EFF all difference.

Merry Xmas to All
Go Dogs
Maybe but to me it’s says he is going to use the ultra conservative option which hasn’t worked for him in the last two seasons. It’s not necessary the picking of Montoya or Holland but more his way of thinking that will be on display using those players like that without it being due to injuries.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe but to me it’s says he is going to use the ultra conservative option which hasn’t worked for him in the last two seasons. It’s not necessary the picking of Montoya or Holland but more his way of thinking that will be on display using those players like that without it being due to injuries.
What if it's due to disciplinary issues? Slacking off at training? Not following the coaching staff's instructions? Or the doctors, physio's, trainers regime? External distractions? Family issues, etc etc? Things that we will know nothing about that some might misconstrue as "his way of thinking"? The fact is we don't know what we don't know, so judging someone without knowledge that is rather unjust.

Merry Xmas to All
Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if it's due to disciplinary issues? Slacking off at training? Not following the coaching staff's instructions? Or the doctors, physio's, trainers regime? External distractions? Family issues, etc etc? Things that we will know nothing about that some might misconstrue as "his way of thinking"? The fact is we don't know what we don't know, so judging someone without knowledge that is rather unjust.

Merry Xmas to All
Go Dogs
What a bizarre response! I’ll be judging Pay on everything this season the training wheels are off for him and there’s no excuses. His team selection early in the season will tell me plenty about his mindset and mentality. Of course if there’s extenuating circumstances and we have to play certain players so be it but if there isn’t then it will say a lot about Pay.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What a bizarre response! I’ll be judging Pay on everything this season the training wheels are off for him and there’s no excuses. His team selection early in the season will tell me plenty about his mindset and mentality. Of course if there’s extenuating circumstances and we have to play certain players so be it but if there isn’t then it will say a lot about Pay.
That line up from NRL.com is basically spot on. A small chance Wakeham will start over Cogger and Smith might retain his bench spot to start the season. Reimis should move into the Centres but otherwise Montoya or Holland will be in. What do you think about the NRL.com line up? I don't think there's much else to change. If Pay picked that line up it's the strongest he could field bar Wakeham not being in it imo. Last year after players were dropped and brought back into the team they stood up. If we're not performing he'll do the same thing. Competition is healthy even if a player loses his position for a few weeks just so the players aren't complacent and the hunger is there (players underneath know they have a chance to get into the side).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That line up from NRL.com is basically spot on. A small chance Wakeham will start over Cogger and Smith might retain his bench spot to start the season. Reimis should move into the Centres but otherwise Montoya or Holland will be in. What do you think about the NRL.com line up? I don't think there's much else to change. If Pay picked that line up it's the strongest he could field bar Wakeham not being in it imo. Last year after players were dropped and brought back into the team they stood up. If we're not performing he'll do the same thing. Competition is healthy even if a player loses his position for a few weeks just so the players aren't complacent and the hunger is there.
Yeah it’s pretty close I think Pay will definitely get C Smith in the 17 and I think Holland or Montoya could be there too. Wakeham is no chance of playing Round 1 it will be Cogger/Lewis. It’s obvious we are going to struggle for points again with that line up and if the defence isn’t on early I could see Pay blowing it up again by Round 4.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Chris Kennedy & Jamie Soward

In a daily series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2020, NRL.com looks at the improving Bulldogs.

NRL.com says: Back row recruit Joe Stimson may have to start on the bench given the calibre of starting edge forwards. With Kieran Foran out for most or all of the season, Brandon Wakeham will push Jack Cogger for a chance in the halves.

Jeremy Marshall-King looks to have shored up the No.9 jersey despite the addition of Sione Katoa while Dean Britt will need to work hard to dislodge the likes of Raymond Faitala-Mariner or Renouf To'omaga.

Jamie Soward says: The loss of Kieran Foran is huge but I would bring Brandon Wakeham in to partner Lachlan Lewis. He's shown he can lead the Fiji national team around and needs to be given some time and patience.

I'd start some younger forwards with Renouf Toomaga at prop and Tolman back to the bench and Raymond Faitala-Mariner in the second row moving Josh Jackson to lock where he doesn't have to worry about ball-playing. I like Kerrod Holland at centre with Reimis Smith and Jayden Okunbor making an impressive wing pairing meaning Nick Meaney misses out.

Canterbury Bulldogs round 1 predicted team
  2. Nick Meaney
  3. Will Hopoate
  4. Reimis Smith
  5. Jayden Okunbor
  6. Jack Cogger
  7. Lachlan Lewis
  8. Aiden Tolman
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Dylan Napa
  11. Corey Harawira-Naera
  12. Josh Jackson
  13. Adam Elliott

14. Joe Stimson
  16. Renouf To'omaga
  17. Sione Katoa
Others: Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Kieran Foran, Morgan Harper, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Ofahiki Ogden, Chris Smith, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Brandon Wakeham

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/25/canterbury-bulldogs-2020-round-1-predicted-team/
Won't be making the finals with that lineup

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if pay is still here by round 10, our team is the same minus Kieran Foran lol

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would start with Stimson,renouf,and katoa,remember that katoa,played a lot of football in the halves at Penrith as well as hooker,Tolman will b a year older and slower,so I would start him off the bench,with Elliot,and Brandon wakeham to start with cogger,who takes on the line better than Lewis,in the halves,I reckon from what I've seen of katoa,and wakeham in the internationals at the end of season,they could be a bonus for us.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "Wishful Thinking" Canterbury Bulldogs round 1 predicted team
  2. Nick Meaney
  3. Will Hopoate
  4. Reimis Smith
  5. Jayden Okunbor
  6. Brandon Wakeham
  7. Lachlan Lewis
  8. Aiden Tolman
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Dylan Napa
  11. Corey Harawira-Naera
  12. Joe Stimson
  13. Josh Jackson

14. Sione Katoa
  16. Renouf To'omaga
  17. Ofahiki Ogden
  18. Chris Smith
  19. Jack Cogger
  20. Adam Elliott
Others: Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Kieran Foran, Morgan Harper, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass

Now that he can't find another club and the Roosters want him gone, I'd like to think behind the scenes we are still having a dig at landing Latrell for cheap... maybe $600 to $700 :blush: & slot him in to left centre with Smith back to the wing.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I find it bizarre that some Kennelers think Dean Pay plays people, because they are "favourites"
Pay is a very experienced person. Played at the highest level and coached by the best.
He can only do so much with the talent he has available. This season will be an immense improvement on last.
The players are buying into his training. The trouble makers are gone. The young guys are all keen to be selected.
The season will depend on the amount of effort that these guys put in.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I find it bizarre that some Kennelers think Dean Pay plays people, because they are "favourites"
Pay is a very experienced person. Played at the highest level and coached by the best.
He can only do so much with the talent he has available. This season will be an immense improvement on last.
The players are buying into his training. The trouble makers are gone. The young guys are all keen to be selected.
The season will depend on the amount of effort that these guys put in.
Shut the fuck up