Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: 2019 preview, draw, squad changes, every player.........

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know I am wasting my time , but I'll give it a go anyway.

Not many would argue with you that Foran hasn't so far given us value for money. But, equally most of us equally recognise that it isn't actually his fault, the demonstrable fact is he has put in exemplary efforts to play, in pre season, training, recovery and rehabilitation. Including a near world's best practise recovery from the recent ankle injury.

As a result the problem I (and many others) have is your continual references to it actually somehow being of his making, for example in the quote above where you refer to him as being "trash". "Unlucky" maybe, but "trash", not in any way that I have seen.

Go Dogs
it matters very little if it was his fault or not.. the fact of the matter is it was a huge gamble paying that sort of money to a player of his history..

Our investment has not been paid back whatsoever .. and the only ones that are suffering is the club and the fans essentially having to play 1.5 seasons short a million dollars down in the cap..

I hold no hatred towards Foran and i actually admire the guy for his efforts .. however to date, his signing has been a massive failure..

Lets hope that the last game was a start of a new chapter and he actually reaches the quality that a million dollar player should reach and actually plays out the rest of teh season and next...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
it matters very little if it was his fault or not.. the fact of the matter is it was a huge gamble paying that sort of money to a player of his history..

Our investment has not been paid back whatsoever .. and the only ones that are suffering is the club and the fans essentially having to play 1.5 seasons short a million dollars down in the cap..

I hold no hatred towards Foran and i actually admire the guy for his efforts .. however to date, his signing has been a massive failure..

Lets hope that the last game was a start of a new chapter and he actually reaches the quality that a million dollar player should reach and actually plays out the rest of teh season and next...
Spot on! Foran should be delivering games like he produced against the Tigers and Titans every week for the amount he is getting paid.

Some people can sugar coat it all they want but unless he delivers massively in the last half of his contract then its been a disaster of a signing.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you missed the point of the post, some posters on here blame Foran continually, as if it's somehow his fault that 2 big guys fell on his ankle while he was scoring a try for us. I was simply pointing out that the undeniable fact that he hasn't provided value for money should not be used as an excuse to denigrate the player personally and call him "trash". I bet he is more devastated sitting on the sidelines than any of us, plainly he just wants to play footy to the best of his considerable ability.

Go Dogs

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you missed the point of the post, some posters on here blame Foran continually, as if it's somehow his fault that 2 big guys fell on his ankle while he was scoring a try for us. I was simply pointing out that the undeniable fact that he hasn't provided value for money should not be used as an excuse to denigrate the player personally and call him "trash". I bet he is more devastated sitting on the sidelines than any of us, plainly he just wants to play footy to the best of his considerable ability.

Go Dogs
I agree that Foran shouldnt be blamed and he is doing his best, but i can easily see why he is getting blamed..

All that matters to me "a Bulldogs Supporter" is that my club is struggling on the field and one of the main reasons is because our marque player has been off the field far too many times and even when he does comes back from injury we burn a game or two realigning combinations because of all the shuffling of the halves around Foran.

So essentially it can be easily viewed that Foran is partially to blame for our struggles..

so if people hold animosity towards Foran, you cant really blame them.... (the scathing attacks are a bit uncalled for though)..

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score

Not many would argue with you that Foran hasn't so far given us value for money. But, equally most of us equally recognise that it isn't actually his fault, the demonstrable fact is he has put in exemplary efforts to play, in pre season, training, recovery and rehabilitation. Including a near world's best practise recovery from the recent ankle injury.

As a result the problem I (and many others) have is your continual references to it actually somehow being of his making, for example in the quote above where you refer to him as being "trash". "Unlucky" maybe, but "trash", not in any way that I have seen.

Go Dogs
Couldn't agree more mate. We paid for him what we paid (did we overpay?) 100% but Des was desperate to save his job as were the board at that time. (If another company offered you a huge salary.......far more than you think you are worth even you would still take it and jump ship). So we all agree he is getting more than he is putting on the park for us (if we did due diligence on his injury history, we should not have offered as much as we did) but the club and its front office at the time did. We can't do anything about it.

I recently watched Magic Johnson on the first take being interviewed on ESPN and he was asked do you think the Lakers will trade Lebron his reply was to laugh and say "hell no!" he said no because he makes all the other players around him better they see his work ethic they see his positive influence around headquarters and how he handles himself and no amount of $ can measure the stuff he is providing and helping develop in their young team core"

I see Foran being our Lebron showing our kids how to be a true professional. Its clear and obvious to see for all the positive influence he is having injured or not and you can't put a $ on that.......The guy is not trash and is definitely having a positive influence on our club.........is it value for money well you could debate it until the cows come home but the next 5 years will tell us won't it.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Go Dogs
It's irrelevant if it's his fault or not. He turned us down multiple times in the past and then comes to us when he's busted on a mega deal, I don't like that in the slightest.

Too many of out fans have accepted mediocrity and act like we're a small club. We're currently pinned down the bottom of the ladder and are on record run of lack of final appearances. Having a bloke on stupid coin that has barely played is in no way advantageous for our club.

If he's fit and can stay fit then yh he's one of the best halves in the game, but this Foran hasn't existed for years despite a couple of good games a season. Like I have said if he gets through the rest of the year then my opinion will change, but for the moment I'm still clenching my arsehole every time he hits the deck in fear of him sitting on the sideline for another spell.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
So your hate for Foran is based on him turning us down in the past before joining us??

To call someone "Trash and offers no value what so ever to the club" is a bold statement mate.
Never mind the fact he is a great influence around our club now?

The best part about his ball playing is the fact he puts his body on the line for his team mates by digging right into the defensive line. That's why he is so respected by his peers but also so injury prone.

Thank god we ain't got you playing halfback for us you would be a revolving door in defence and would draw no one in on attack coz under your mindset you wouldn't want to get injured or you would be "trash and of no value to our club"

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So your hate for Foran is based on him turning us down in the past before joining us??

To call someone "Trash and offers no value what so ever to the club" is a bold statement mate.
Never mind the fact he is a great influence around our club now?

The best part about his ball playing is the fact he puts his body on the line for his team mates by digging right into the defensive line. That's why he is so respected by his peers but also so injury prone.

Thank god we ain't got you playing halfback for us you would be a revolving door in defence and would draw no one in on attack coz under your mindset you wouldn't want to get injured or you would be "trash and of no value to our club"
Mate, for a million bucks a year to only play 16/34 games and probably man of the match for only 2 of the 16 he played....it's a terrible investment!

No doubt the guy is the best player in our squad and has had a couple of blinders this year. But we need him to perfom like this for most games.
On more long term injury(2 months to 12 months) and the guy is done, finished!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a positive note if our club was to persevere with Foran until the end of his contract, weather he makes a success or not during the remainder of his contract, I know that we are not a charity but thinking players, particularly young ones and there Parents might see it as a positive to come to our club.
The only down side is that the media won't give us any favorable publicity for having done so.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Mate, for a million bucks a year to only play 16/34 games and probably man of the match for only 2 of the 16 he played....it's a terrible investment!

No doubt the guy is the best player in our squad and has had a couple of blinders this year. But we need him to perfom like this for most games.
On more long term injury(2 months to 12 months) and the guy is done, finished!!
Like I have touched on in the past mate...............We (Bulldogs head office) knew his injury history........the front office at the time were desperate for a half of his calibre and paid him that ridiculous money.

To sit here and call the bloke trash and say he offers the club no value after the fact is easy. My point is the guy does offer value on and off the field and he is not trash (I've never said its value for the money we are paying him)

I'm just happy he is with us as I've always admired his professional approach to his preparation and his constant toughness in defence and to put his body on the line as a half for the betterment of his side in terms of digging in to the line square to open space up for his outsides. As a union coach in NZ myself I'd love to have him mentoring my young blokes on the park.