Canterbury are Tanking to avoid Manly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Here is my theory: Bulldogs will lose their remaining 2 matches and they will be horrible. They want to avoid First at all costs. Why? To avoid finals matches against Manly Week One of the finals. They want to finish 2nd. That will give them a MUCH easier match to start off their finals campaign, and it'll give them momentum. I'm expecting them to keep losing till Rd 26. Even though they'll lose that minor premiership, they may rather have momentum and not lose the first week with the 2nd chance. A nice and easy first week for them in the finals is their plan. NOT ONLY THAT, but they've dropped one of the form hookers in Ennis. Interesting..

I know, it does not sound like a club would do this - but who knows what can happen?

Thoughts?

DMoney

Waterboy
Reaction score
Here is my theory: Bulldogs will lose their remaining 2 matches and they will be horrible. They want to avoid First at all costs. Why? To avoid finals matches against Manly Week One of the finals. They want to finish 2nd. That will give them a MUCH easier match to start off their finals campaign, and it'll give them momentum. I'm expecting them to keep losing till Rd 26. Even though they'll lose that minor premiership, they may rather have momentum and not lose the first week with the 2nd chance. A nice and easy first week for them in the finals is their plan. NOT ONLY THAT, but they've dropped one of the form hookers in Ennis. Interesting..

I know, it does not sound like a club would do this - but who knows what can happen?

Thoughts?
Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter..

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Telegraph will run with this in the afternoon addition.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ffs if we tank to avoid manly and souths tank to avoid us or melbourne then the result is our tank backfired and then we face our original fear manly

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great scott. you're onto something.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw i reckon brisbane are tanking to avoid cronulla

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have also been led to believe the Eels have tanked all year to make certain they win the spoon.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
West Tigers tanking to avoid finals failure?
absolutely, its all about momentum

going into 2013 you would rather have missed the finals than be humiliated by the cowboys 30-0

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like tanking is the new planking. Everyone's doing it

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What about this?

Cronulla have been tanking for 30 years, start to win when The Shire starts on tv to attract a whole new generation of fans?

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Thoughts?

I love a good theory but I can't see Des or any professional sportsman deliberately throwing a game. If they lose the next 2 games they'll be going into the finals with no momentum which would be far from ideal. Also, the minor premiership winner gets $100K from memory? I can't see us throwing away the opportunity to win that sort of cash.

Ennis has been playing with soreness all year and giving him the weekend off is a smart move to freshen him up for the finals.

Having said that I have a feeling we may go down to the Raiders, we always seem to struggle down there.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
knowing our luck if we lose our next 2 and finish 2nd, Manly will finish 3rd.

Either way both South Sydney and Manly want to play us first week, so one way or another we won't avoid one of them first week. Unless we end up playing the Cowboys or Sharks. We are going to have to play Manly at some stage anyway if we are going to win the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.