News Canterbury’s off-contract stars will use next 10 games to impress new coach Trent Barrett

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The mole reporting the raiders have dropped out of the race for elliott due to the dragons offering huge $$ bye bye butter fingers fmd pretty sad club if hes your marquee forward

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
RFM & Averillo have recently re signed for a further 2 years. Elliott needs to be a priority signing. I’d only sign Foran for 1 year (350 tops) otherwise see you later. Cogger I’m 50/50 on, the rest of those off contract this year can be told to look elsewhere. That includes Tolman and I’d even offer Napa an early release.
Cogger has already been told he is not here next season.

Question: if Foran did resign for 1 year @ $350K what role in the team would you expect from him?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The mole reporting the raiders have dropped out of the race for elliott due to the dragons offering huge $$ bye bye butter fingers fmd pretty sad club if hes your marquee forward
I’m not fussed if we don’t keep him cause it’s hard to have him in the starting team given Jacko is most likely transitioning to lock. And that’s nothing against Elliot it’s just the reality of it. But raiders are surely kidding themselves given they just signed 2 forwards CHN & Ryan James. That’s just taking the piss to even be a realistic chance. I reckon he’ll end up at the dragons.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Question: if Foran did resign for 1 year @ $350K what role in the team would you expect from him?
What he is doing atm...

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Re Foran, I’ve always been of the opinion that once he’s contract expires that we need to move him on due to the shit load of money he is on and also being a signing from the previous regime. He’s a very expensive crock I’ve always thought BUT when he has been on field he has been very good for us. He recently said he’s hopeful of staying on as he’s enjoying his time at the ‘dogs. (Why wouldn’t he with the $$$$$ he’s on). Others have also said that he’s great for the younger guys coming through not just on but off the field so IF they do decide to keep him I’d say for one year only in the hope he doesn’t get injured again.

As for Cogger who’s your source of him not being wanted?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Barret for letting tolman and elliot go

Stop being passive aggressive
Tolman can go....I am still hoping Barrett arranges an 11th hour crisis meeting to re-sign the Immortal in waiting.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Re Foran, I’ve always been of the opinion that once he’s contract expires that we need to move him on due to the shit load of money he is on and also being a signing from the previous regime. He’s a very expensive crock I’ve always thought BUT when he has been on field he has been very good for us. He recently said he’s hopeful of staying on as he’s enjoying his time at the ‘dogs. (Why wouldn’t he with the $$$$$ he’s on). Others have also said that he’s great for the younger guys coming through not just on but off the field so IF they do decide to keep him I’d say for one year only in the hope he doesn’t get injured again.

As for Cogger who’s your source of him not being wanted?
Human psychology tells me if you want someone to be a leader in the team, the senior half in the team and mentor the young guys you don't offer a 1 year contract at peanuts (for an experienced halfback and/or 5/8). As it stands now we only have Lewis signed for next season among the halfs.

If we want an experienced half be it halfback or 5/8 in the team for next season but we are prepared to settle for Foran on the cheap? Then It's time to let Foran go (he will get a better offer elsewhere anyway) and go to the market and get what the team needs in terms of an experienced half. Also there is a lot to be said for teams who balance their salary cap on a positional basis. So far Canterbury is spending nothing on the spine for next season!!!

JMK say minimum to $175k
Katoa say minimum $105k
Lewis $350k
Foran $350k
Wakeham minimum $105k
Meaney $220k
Hopoate $450k

That's $1.755m on the entire spine. No, that is crazy.

oh yeah Cogger, I don't know, common knowledge?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Human psychology tells me if you want someone to be a leader in the team, the senior half in the team and mentor the young guys you don't offer a 1 year contract at peanuts (for an experienced halfback and/or 5/8). As it stands now we only have Lewis signed for next season among the halfs.
If we want an experienced half be it halfback or 5/8 in the team for next season but we are prepared to settle for Foran on the cheap? Then It's time to let Foran go (he will get a better offer elsewhere anyway) and go to the market and get what the team needs in terms of an experienced half. Also there is a lot to be said for teams who balance their salary cap on a positional basis. So far Canterbury is spending nothing on the spine for next season!!!
JMK say minimum to $175k
Katoa say minimum $105k
Lewis $350k
Foran $350k
Wakeham minimum $105k
Meaney $220k
Hopoate $450k
That's $1.755m on the entire spine. No, that is crazy.
oh yeah Cogger, I don't know, common knowledge?
Using the above "valuatio" methodology go through our entire 30 players and you will end up at around $6.5m. So your "valuations" are about 30% too low.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Using the above "valuatio" methodology go through our entire 30 players and you will end up at around $6.5m. So your "valuations" are about 30% too low.

Go Dogs

I would have to be the only poster ever on the Kennel to underestimate contract values.

But the point is, as it stands now, we have very little invested in the spine for 2021.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to be the only poster ever on the Kennel to underestimate contract values.

But the point is, as it stands now, we have very little invested in the spine for 2021.
I thought the salaries you posted were quite generous for those players based on their abilities rather than being underestimates. Lewis is not even worth the minimum wage. Its a poor reflection on our staff and board (previous and current) that they approved the salaries of our current players. They spent $9.6m on a bunch of largely reserve graders and only about half a dozen are legit first graders.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Salaries I know of at present.
I base this of every reliable article I've seen, zero tackle and what I've heard through inside.

1. Hoppa -600k
2. Reimis -350k
3. Holland-500k
4. DWZ - 550k
5. Crichton-min
5.1 Meaney 350k
6. Lewis - 450k
7. Foran 1.2mil
8. Tolman conflicting between 450-700. He had back ended that has been likely to have been fought forward
9. JMK 300k
10. Napa 600 or 650k
11. Jackson 650 (this year)
12. RFM -??? Guess around 250
13. Elliott- 400k

14 Thompson 850 k next year
15. CHN 450
16. Aaron Woods 300k
17. Mbye *most likely brought forward and off the books now, but if not* 400k
The rest from here wouldn't be on a lot at all.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Salaries I know of at present.
I base this of every reliable article I've seen, zero tackle and what I've heard through inside.

1. Hoppa -600k
2. Reimis -350k
3. Holland-500k
4. DWZ - 550k
5. Crichton-min
5.1 Meaney 350k
6. Lewis - 450k
7. Foran 1.2mil
8. Tolman conflicting between 450-700. He had back ended that has been likely to have been fought forward
9. JMK 300k
10. Napa 600 or 650k
11. Jackson 650 (this year)
12. RFM -??? Guess around 250
13. Elliott- 400k

14 Thompson 850 k next year
15. CHN 450
16. Aaron Woods 300k
17. Mbye *most likely brought forward and off the books now, but if not* 400k
The rest from here wouldn't be on a lot at all.
Nah....Hopoate is not on $600k, Holland would be luckly to be on $150k. Meaney maybe $220k & JMK $150.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah....Hopoate is not on $600k, Holland would be luckly to be on $150k. Meaney maybe $220k & JMK $150.
Hoppa is definitely 600 or thereabouts. He took massive unders in 2017 when he didn't play sundays but please remember he was on 800k at eels.
I 100 percent read last year that he was re signing at 600 per season. It stuck with me. I'll need I find the article.

Hollands contract was 400,400 and 500 over three years. This was in response to Newcastle trying to get him for 450 a year Flat. He took unders the first year.
Newcastle came in at 1.2 million offer - widely reported at the time and the bumped it up after. Holland took a pay it for one year at least.
https://www.5thtackle.com/kerrod-holland-to-make-newcastle-return-in-2018/
Either way. He's not on 150 when he has widely reported offers of 400 plus.
Meaney I will admit I could be wrong but he was being chased elsewhere (a good sign he isn't super cheap) and Remember JMK was in great form back half of 2019 and had offers.

if other teams are interested, it's a huge clue they are earning less than the bottom.Hence why on those two I got a figure that's low but represents them staying in against other teams tabling offers.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa is definitely 600 or thereabouts. He took massive unders in 2017 when he didn't play sundays but please remember he was on 800k at eels.
I 100 percent read last year that he was re signing at 600 per season. It stuck with me. I'll need I find the article.

Hollands contract was 400,400 and 500 over three years. This was in response to Newcastle trying to get him for 450 a year Flat. He took unders the first year.
Newcastle came in at 1.2 million offer - widely reported at the time and the bumped it up after. Holland took a pay it for one year at least.
https://www.5thtackle.com/kerrod-holland-to-make-newcastle-return-in-2018/
Either way. He's not on 150 when he has widely reported offers of 400 plus.
Meaney I will admit I could be wrong but he was being chased elsewhere (a good sign he isn't super cheap) and Remember JMK was in great form back half of 2019 and had offers.

if other teams are interested, it's a huge clue they are earning less than the bottom.Hence why on those two I got a figure that's low but represents them staying in against other teams tabling offers.
Hopoate is "definitely" not on $600k more like $450k.
He was playing for $150k not playing Sundays, you think Sundays are worth an extra $450k?

I REFUSE to believe that Holland is on more than $150k, he's a reserve grader who can fill in when required in fist grade. That's the limit of his potential.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopoate is "definitely" not on $600k more like $450k.
He was playing for $150k not playing Sundays, you think Sundays are worth an extra $450k?

I REFUSE to believe that Holland is on more than $150k, he's a reserve grader who can fill in when required in fist grade. That's the limit of his potential.
Im not sure about Hoppas old contract from the 2015-2018 days, but when he re signed it was in the 600 vicinity.
That is his market value after all.Shouldnt be hard to believe?

As for your 'I refuse to believe Holland is on more than 150' comment, how can you say that and be expected to be taken serious?

It was well reported a few years ago that Newcastle were throwing the sink at Holland. He's loyal but why wouldn't he have taken an instant 75% pay rise?
I know for a fact he's on half a mil plus this season.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sure about Hoppas old contract from the 2015-2018 days, but when he re signed it was in the 600 vicinity.
That is his market value after all.Shouldnt be hard to believe?

As for your 'I refuse to believe Holland is on more than 150' comment, how can you say that and be expected to be taken serious?

It was well reported a few years ago that Newcastle were throwing the sink at Holland. He's loyal but why wouldn't he have taken an instant 75% pay rise?
I know for a fact he's on half a mil plus this season.
If Holland is on 500k a year then it shows how pathetic our board was and why our cap was such as mess. That means we're paying a reserve grader the same amount as what the Eels are paying for Origin and test player Ferguson.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If Holland is on 500k a year then it shows how pathetic our board was and why our cap was such as mess. That means we're paying a reserve grader the same amount as what the Eels are paying for Origin and test player Ferguson.
Not quite the same. One is an ageing winger who's injury prone but still good and the other was a flash attacking young up coming centre that kicks at 80%.
Remember this was 2017/2018 Holland, who was an origin outsider and a deal that's backended a bit.