Can you buy a decent car for under $$ 10 grand?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to help out a friend buy a decent car for use as a family car for under $10 grand

I find it somewhat impossible as many have ridiculous high mileage (over 100,000) and you just asking for trouble. All the hidden faults and expensive unplanned repairs. Could cripple him.

I'm trying to drag sellers asking $14-15k to under $10k with a few deep cutting lowball offers but they can take time for owners to digest my offers, overcome the initial hurt and insult and see my offers as reality... Even then they can b shit cars.

Seems like it's easier to find a unicorn than A decent car for under $10 grand.

Help me

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about targeting a particular model.

Place my own ad for a low km, mint condition version for $3-4000 below the average.. put a number that I rarely use.. tell buyers when they call car will be available for inspection next week. So buyers hold off.

Basically takes out all the buyers for the genuine car your looking at. Then refer your own ad to the owner and says they have overpriced theirs, you will buy the other.

The owners dreams are shattered and you chop down their price like a lumberjack and buy the car... End your ad.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure but I know you can’t buy a decent thread on TK

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You seem to have infinite wisdom about so many things yet you're asking TK if you can find a decent car under 10K?

One of your best blue balls

Last edited:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You seem to have infinite wisdom about so many things yet your asking TK if you can find a decent car under 10K?

One of your best blue balls
There would be more than a few on here that have bought cars Under 10 grand.. so im looking for their wisdom in this thread.

Were They besotted with their purchase until the sting in the tail hits them?

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought about targeting a particular model.

Place my own ad for a low km, mint condition version for $3-4000 below the average.. put a number that I rarely use.. tell buyers when they call car will be available for inspection next week. So buyers hold off.

Basically takes out all the buyers for the genuine car your looking at. Then refer your own ad to the owner and says they have overpriced theirs, you will buy the other.

The owners dreams are shattered and you chop down their price like a lumberjack and buy the car... End your ad.
I have to admit you’re a smart scammer.
True blue

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate Toyota Camrys/Commodores under 100 km. Pickles Auction ex government and lease cars. Veey decent. Ive purchased all my cars from there and sold them 2 years later for pretty much the same price. You'll find most used car dealerships buy them from there and sell them for a mark up.
I'm trying to help out a friend buy a decent car for use as a family car for under $10 grand

I find it somewhat impossible as many have ridiculous high mileage (over 100,000) and you just asking for trouble. All the hidden faults and expensive unplanned repairs. Could cripple him.

I'm trying to drag sellers asking $14-15k to under $10k with a few deep cutting lowball offers but they can take time for owners to digest my offers, overcome the initial hurt and insult and see my offers as reality... Even then they can b shit cars.

Help me

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Mate Toyota Camrys/Commodores under 100 km. Pickles Auction ex government and lease cars. Veey decent. Ive purchased all my cars from there and sold them 2 years later for pretty much the same price. You'll find most used car dealerships buy them from there and sell them for a mark up.
Pickles are awesome. Still in Belmore?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go on car sales first thing on Saturday morning just type in max price of $10,000 and put under 100,000 km and sort the search to lowest price first you sometimes find a bargain. I’d stick to reliable cars, Toyota’s are great

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess you could if you think a car worth $10k Is decent..!!

I guess The best most sensible option would be a Toyota because, it’s a Toyota lol.

but also a Mazda atenza is another great option 2002-2008 , chain driven , reliable as fuck , 2.3 litre auto/tiptronic.!! and can get over 250kms on the clock with no worries at all, like a Toyota they just keep going. And have fuck all if any problems. Can’t go wrong with either of the above.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Help me
FMD Friday arvo special thread here lol

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can prob buy a G class from China now on the cheap

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Any Toyota or Mazda really...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know its 10K pounds, not dollars, but Top Gear tried to buy an Italian Supercar for this money.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
100000kms isn’t that much for a modern car unless it’s done it in 3 years.
Personally, I’d take a 110000km car over a 90000km car, assuming they’re in similar condition, purely to avoid the costly major service that comes at 100k, you’ll pay less as well as an added bonus.