Can you be put back onside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i know it used to be the case that when an offside player retreated behind the kicker of the ball that he was then placed onside, so this is what happened in the freak try tonight but the video referee missed it

if they changed the rule i havent heard of it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Freak try? Tolmans try? Rona was offside..nothing more to it. No on ran him onside.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kicker did fall ahead of Rona, but I think the kick didn't go more than 10 meters which has Rona offside the instant the ball was kicked. But yeah, I was thinking the same thing initially.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If the ball hits a ref or goal posts, player is put back onside.

I swear it hit the uprights?

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kicker did fall ahead of Rona, but I think the kick didn't go more than 10 meters which has Rona offside the instant the ball was kicked. But yeah, I was thinking the same thing initially.
Spot on. Rona needed to be outside the 10

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This has been trippin me out for a while too... I used to remember once the kicker ran u onside then u are automatically onside. Are you saying that the kick needs to go further than 10m in order for this rule to kick in?

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
This has been trippin me out for a while too... I used to remember once the kicker ran u onside then u are automatically onside. Are you saying that the kick needs to go further than 10m in order for this rule to kick in?
The kicker can run a player onside only if the player offside is not within 10m of the ball and competes in the play.
If he stays 10m away from the ball but is still offside that is when the kicker can run them onside.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The kicker can run a player onside only if the player offside is not within 10m of the ball and competes in the play.
If he stays 10m away from the ball but is still offside that is when the kicker can run them onside.
ill check it again on the replay tomorrow because the kick came from the uprights area and rona usually would be 10m wide of that, but for sure patten didnt check for it, he only checked the moment the ball was kicked

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crap rule thats still confusing.. cheers for the info anyway.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can see Rona and yes he is in front of Browne, although it is a bad angle. Rona is actually retreated when the kick is put through and only attacks it once Browne has gone past him. So I have no idea if they ruled it correctly. For mine there is every chance that they overlooked it and it is quite possibly a legal try. You'd dead set need a ref to tell you whether they got it right or not.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
See that can't be right because that would mean all those tries scored from hookers putting in little grubbers would be no tries because the guy playing the ball would be offside.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
i know it used to be the case that when an offside player retreated behind the kicker of the ball that he was then placed onside, so this is what happened in the freak try tonight but the video referee missed it

if they changed the rule i havent heard of it
I refereed from 1970 to 1991 Rodzilla. During that time it was certainly the case that the kicker,and only the kicker, could put players in front of the kick back onside by running past them. But like a lot of modern day rules I have lost touch a little bit because of the constant fiddling around with them by administrators who have never blown a whistle or played the game at a reasonable level.

Just a funny aside here. When I was about 20 yrs old, I was once ruled "offside in front of the kicker" while playing for Enfield Federals by a referee who I thought was close to the best in the area. I just pointed to myself and said "I was the kicker" and he marched me 10 metres. After the game we had a chat and he had no idea he got it wrong until I told him again. He apologised.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ill check it again on the replay tomorrow because the kick came from the uprights area and rona usually would be 10m wide of that, but for sure patten didnt check for it, he only checked the moment the ball was kicked
It's 10 from where the ball lands not kicked. He was offside.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It's 10 from where the ball lands not kicked. He was offside.
even that is pretty close and they didnt check for it, rona stepped back to about 6.5/7m out and then competed for the ball about 3m ingoal and it was a few metres sideways

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
And the verdict is Rodzilla
verdict is rodzilla? does that mean i was correct? if so i agree tbh

all the offside explanations here arent acceptable to me because by the time rona was within 10m of the ball he had already clearly been put onside so he should be able to attack it, he was put onside almost immediately after the kick which was about 20m away

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
verdict is rodzilla? does that mean i was correct? if so i agree tbh

all the offside explanations here arent acceptable to me because by the time rona was within 10m of the ball he had already clearly been put onside so he should be able to attack it, he was put onside almost immediately after the kick which was about 20m away
Ahh cheers.. I wasn't able to watch the video link last night thus the question of the verdict :grinning:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can see Rona and yes he is in front of Browne, although it is a bad angle. Rona is actually retreated when the kick is put through and only attacks it once Browne has gone past him. So I have no idea if they ruled it correctly. For mine there is every chance that they overlooked it and it is quite possibly a legal try. You'd dead set need a ref to tell you whether they got it right or not.
Bit of a misnomer there. Half the refs don't know the more obscure rules; they even have problems getting the self explanatory ones right.

Status
Not open for further replies.