Can we win 6 from the next 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok, it's now into the second half of the season and I am trying to come up with what is required from the Dogs to sneak into the finals and for Des to maintain his ongoing semi's appearances. So for this to happen in my opinion the following is required.

Taking into account another bye and winning 6 from 10 takes us to 28 points which could be the cut off though based on our for and against we may need 30 but let's work on 28 making up the eight.
We play....
Warriors (A)
Parra (A)
Knights (H)
Broncos (A)
Panthers (A)
Parra (H)
Rabbits (A)
Eagles (H)
Titans (A)
Dragons (H)
Where do you see our 6 wins coming from? Seriously, it's not the toughest draw. C'mon I think it's do-able and possibly I can see 7 or eight if we get on a roll. The next couple will be tough with turn around's and so forth. What do you think or predict?

Oh and no Bob Marley pics there's no smoking going on here..lol
In my opinion..
Warriors (A) - loss
Parra (A) - loss
Knights (H) - win
Broncos (A) - loss
Panthers (A) - loss
Parra (H) - loss
Rabbits (A) - win
Eagles (H) - win
Titans (A) - loss
Dragons (H) - win

Hope i'm proven wrong!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible. I think we will beat Parra once, also Panthers and Manly as we often go 1 out of 2 against a lot of teams given our inconsistent form.

If we get there though we may be lucky to get one finals win but otherwise we will be straight out. Not much point being in the finals unless you have somewhat of a chance of winning a premiership.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok, it's now into the second half of the season and I am trying to come up with what is required from the Dogs to sneak into the finals and for Des to maintain his ongoing semi's appearances. So for this to happen in my opinion the following is required.

Taking into account another bye and winning 6 from 10 takes us to 28 points which could be the cut off though based on our for and against we may need 30 but let's work on 28 making up the eight.

We play....
Warriors (A)
Parra (A)
Knights (H)
Broncos (A)
Panthers (A)
Parra (H)
Rabbits (A)
Eagles (H)
Titans (A)
Dragons (H)

Where do you see our 6 wins coming from? Seriously, it's not the toughest draw. C'mon I think it's do-able and possibly I can see 7 or eight if we get on a roll. The next couple will be tough with turn around's and so forth. What do you think or predict?

Oh and no Bob Marley pics there's no smoking going on here..lol
I see maybe four or five wins at best.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we will
Warriors (A) - win - we have a decent record playing the Warriors away
Eels (A) win - This will test where the team is at. I think the loss of Pritchard and Scott will throw really impact Parra's defence.
Knights (H) - win - We won't smash them but they don't have the attacking power to hurt us.
Broncos (A) - win - If Milford is available then I'll switch this to a loss. Since Bennett changed a winning formula the broncos have looked disjointed.
Panthers (A) - loss - Panthers are clicking into gear and not sure we can score enough points to match them
Parra (H) - win - We'll get the double over Parra
Rabbitohs (A) - win - They look shot and as long as we can keep Crichton quiet this should be a straight up victory.
Sea Eagles (H) - win - We'll beat the Sea Eagles at home
Titans (A) - loss - A loss just as we have built momentum
Dragons (H) - loss - STG might need to win this game to make the finals and will want it more.

Probably some wishful thinking but I hope it plays out like this or better

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked hasler about this he stated the following - 'if our completion rate is above 80%, we don't turn the ball over in the opposition half, we bore the opposition into submission, we have a good kicking game, our defense hold up, and Foran stays out of trouble and injury free, we should make the top 8 next year!'

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Regardless of whether they make the 8 or not they're just not good enough to do anything but get outclassed come finals time.

Considering the form they've shown the last year and a half expecting the team to go on a run to finish the season is asking a lot.

It's hard to go on winning streaks when you score 12 points a game.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Three scenarios where we make the top 8:

A: the Dragons capitulate
B: Thurston gets injured again, Cowboys capitulate
C: Raiders continue their game strategy of pass it to Leipana

We have to rely on other teams being poor, the teams who are currently inside the 8 should make the 8 comfortably they have a big lead on +/-

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeh we can make it but unless we get a wriggle on with our f/a we probably need 7/10 to make it
That points for & against tally has always been a big problem when it comes down to where we sit in the top eight pecking order. It can also be the factor that keeps us out of the eight.

To everyone except our coach, the reason for that problem is glaringly obvious. i.e. Our coach, Des Hasler, who in his playing days was a very good halfback/ five eighth has the Bulldogs focused on defence with attack being a non preferred option. So... If we don't focus on attack we don't score many tries. Not having a goal kicker who can promise a success rate of 80%+ usually makes the wins we do have a close run thing.

But back to the burning question; can we win six (or maybe seven) games from the next ten.

The answer to that depends on the answer to another question: "Will the Bulldogs turn up to play"?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion..
Warriors (A) - loss
Parra (A) - loss
Knights (H) - win
Broncos (A) - loss
Panthers (A) - loss
Parra (H) - loss
Rabbits (A) - win
Eagles (H) - win
Titans (A) - loss
Dragons (H) - win

Hope i'm proven wrong!
I can put up with the negativity/anger in the kennel...

But, I will never put up with people saying we will lose to Parra once, let alone twice. I think any Dog fan that would say such a foul thing should be shot. No trial. No jury. Straight to execution.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can put up with the negativity/anger in the kennel...

But, I will never put up with people saying we will lose to Parra once, let alone twice. I think any Dog fan that would say such a foul thing should be shot. No trial. No jury. Straight to execution.
What punishment should the team get, if it does happen?

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see straight up 5 games we will lose, Parra x 2, Bronc's, Penrith & Eagles so no I can't see it. Can see Titans beating us also and Dragons will be out to get us so buckleys chance really. Bloody hell Warriors may do us this week also so we may not win any lol.
I hate to say this GrogDog, but I reckon you're a bloody good judge. :smiley:

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically we can 6/10
Statistically we fail to average 14points in attack in concede 18points defensively.
so we struggle to score more than 2 tries, have no noted goal kicker & concede 3 converted tries per game.
2012 never looked like winning the GF
2013 fodder
2014 flogged in GF 30-6
2015 fodder
2016 embarrassing exit

see the pattern?
yet Des gets a 2 year extension
Good summing up SweetFA.

In the 2014 GF against Souths Hodko and JMoz started with dud knees so we were behind from the start. Then Josh Reynolds injured his shoulder in his first tackle.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good summing up SweetFA.

In the 2014 GF against Souths Hodko and JMoz started with dud knees so we were behind from the start. Then Josh Reynolds injured his shoulder in his first tackle.
Not to mention the fact that we were missing our hooker

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Warriors (A) - win
Parra (A) - loss
Knights (H) - win
Broncos (A) - loss
Panthers (A) - loss (20+)
Parra (H) - loss
Rabbits (A) win
Eagles (H) - loss (20+)
Titans (A) - win
Dragons (H) - loss

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three scenarios where we make the top 8:

A: the Dragons capitulate
B: Thurston gets injured again, Cowboys capitulate
C: Raiders continue their game strategy of pass it to Leipana

We have to rely on other teams being poor, the teams who are currently inside the 8 should make the 8 comfortably they have a big lead on +/-
I can legit see all three of these things happening. Dragons sucking right now, Raiders should be much better than they are and Thurston's being rushed back to play Origin.

The way I view our draw:

Warriors (A) - win
Parra (A) - loss
Knights (H) - win
Broncos (A) - win
Panthers (A) - loss
Parra (H) - win
Rabbits (A) win
Eagles (H) - win
Titans (A) - win
Dragons (H) - win

Could say I'm optimistic, but I honestly think that if we turn up, we can win 8 from 10. It's not a tough draw by any means.

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We play....
Warriors (A)
Parra (A)
Knights (H)
Broncos (A)
Panthers (A)
Parra (H)
Rabbits (A)
Eagles (H)
Titans (A)
Dragons (H)

Where do you see our 6 wins coming from?

Wow I don't think we will get 6 wins even from this generous draw. Mind you Des will work hard to get us into the Finals (where we will get knocked out first game). That way he can say he has got us into the Finals every year of his tenure...

Realistically, I think we can beat the Warriors, Parra (once), Knights, Rabbits & maybe Titans... sorry but I think we will just fall short.

Status
Not open for further replies.