Can somebody explain to me how the Development squad works?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

can somebody clarify how the development squad works?

I get that it's a reserved list for 5 prodigies of every club and they are allowed to play in the nrl at some point in the season.

whats Their cap? What's their min wage? How do youget selected?

do you think it could be possible if a talented 30 year old who missed the boat earlier due to the game having a lot of interchanges and big players could get a place now that the game is more suited to smaller quick players ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any age restrictions on it because Matt Frawley got one at the Raiders this year. They are only eligible for NRL June 30 and there salary is only $60k or $80k I can’t remember which one. You can have 6 players on them.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why don’t you ask your “insider”?
My insider only translates information he (or she) hears during talking in the hall or in (mainly) meetings. His friend is connected to the leagues club but both aren't producers of information, just echoes really.

back to point.

how can someone get on this development squad? Surely there's a plethora of us that couldn't get a look in when the game was different ten years ago who are primed for success in the modern game.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My insider only translates information he (or she) hears during talking in the hall or in (mainly) meetings. His friend is connected to the leagues club but both aren't producers of information, just echoes really.

back to point.

how can someone get on this development squad? Surely there's a plethora of us that couldn't get a look in when the game was different ten years ago who are primed for success in the modern game.
So he (or she) is the caterer.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any age restrictions on it because Matt Frawley got one at the Raiders this year. They are only eligible for NRL June 30 and there salary is only $60k or $80k I can’t remember which one. You can have 6 players on them.
Thankyou this is what I wanted to know.

do you know if it's a flat rate? Or relatively close to one? By that I mean the small bandwidth of 60-80 you mentioned.
Curious if a club can 'cheat' the cap and have a 200k depth player for instance.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thankyou this is what I wanted to know.

do you know if it's a flat rate? Or relatively close to one? By that I mean the small bandwidth of 60-80 you mentioned.
Curious if a club can 'cheat' the cap and have a 200k depth player for instance.
They all get the same flat rate.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
They all get the same flat rate.
This is good. So it's basically a 300k or so additional cap.

Someone can live on 60k.

for someone who's 30 now and 31 next year, there isn't a lot of time to waste to get an NRL career.
If someone hypothetically was targeting the 2022 season for a development halfback contract at 31, how will they go about it? I get it would be good to go to gym and muscle up a bit and use the time to wean off ice, but what else?
You'd have to think the first year not a lot will happen. Maybe some Mounties games and a token NRL appearance.
It's a tight timeline but a 50 game NRL career spanning 2023-2025 (with a decent six figure contract in '25) to help out the dogs and if not be a star player, at lea at a reliable cost effective backup for the bulldogs is worth it.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The field is pretty narrow. Someone not in a position of power but “overhears” meetings. It can only be a caterer, a cleaner or a stalker.
i think it is indian piss head that is last to leave the club?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Stop Banning nasheed. He gets on a roll. Start to make some thread gold. Then gets the chop again.

We can’t lose this guy from the kennel.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely there's a plethora of us that couldn't get a look in when the game was different ten years ago who are primed for success in the modern game.
What do you mean "us"? Are you you thinking of making a comeback? Can you explain why your avatar is someone saluting a green blob?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it’s a sub cap of 800k for up to 5 players that can play first grade like the old reserve grade cap as injury’s come onto play I think clubs can elevate up to first grade so in theory clubs have 35 players on the squad