Can Meaney be our own Papenhuysen?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Papenhuyzen is explosive and instinctive. Meaney is just fast, he can asses the situation well in space and play to his supports when in space though as we saw with his assist against the tigers last year.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've kept loose track of everyone we have said no too before they hit their stride and it's yuck.

from memory;
Bailey simonsson
Cam Munster
Damien Cook (obviously)
Latrell Mitchell
James Tedesco
Mitch moses
Pappy
Dale finucane
Josh mansour

edit;
I suppose you could also throw Aiden Sezer in that mix. A player we could have used over the last two years who was desperate to stay.
Tapau..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbaz chased Staines and possibly JAC to play fullback. Flanagan and Burton as our halves. It's going to be a big guessing game for us as he appears to be orchestrating a big overhaul on what we've seen from our plays the last few years. All I can read into this is he doesn't rate what we have.
To an extent I wonder if part of us chasing Staines was to ensure his price was higher for Penrith.

Just look how many meters and how quick the play the ball that the Storm get compared to ours. Add this on top of slick backline movements. Paps has some quality players around him and will always shine in that team.
Meaney has the skills to become a quality FB if given the opportunity.
If we snag Flanno and a decent hooker at least, I think Meaney will develop quite well.
1- Meaney
6- Avo
7- Flanno
9- we can only hope we sign what we’ve been linked to.
Good points. It's difficult to justify comparisons of a fullback in teams that are renowned for attacking flair verse a team that has struggled to score points.

What I saw from Meaney this year was enough to say that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. He showed improvement in every game. With a few more touches of quality around him to create opportunities his attributes could be a lot more useful.

Our playing structure hasn't been particularly strong for giving our centre/wing pairings space for fancy footwork. Our second row plays very wide. So development of a sidestep is difficult when you usually have to be avoiding the sideline means he's had to rely on beating the defence through speed in a straight line.

I think he's got plenty of potential.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope we're still trying to recruit a fullback after missing out on Staines as I don't think Meaney or Hopoate are the answer. Ideally Hopoate is starting centre where he belongs.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney lacks ticker, you can have all the speed and talent in the world but if you don’t have ticker it means Jack shit.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Paps grew up a dogs fan. Hopefully we have a chance at getting him when hes off contract(if that even happens)

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Didn't expect this.
both are super fast. Both can play ball. Both are football instinct types

pappy was no one 2 years ago. Shopped around like a slut of Joseph Stalin. Now he's being compared to Slater.
with the right guidance, why can't Meaney be? He's the Aussie schoolboy fullback few years back
Good guidance. That's the problem for every position & for juniors coming through. No 1st graders to guide them, to learn from. You wouldn't want to listen to anyone playing 1st grade.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney reminds me more of alex johnston than papen. Put in space, can run a long way. But not so threatening in traffic.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What drugs u on, you should be banned from a keyboard and an internet connection..

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It would appear Melbourne have been a professional outfit in all areas consistently for years.
We have been the opposite so much so that a broom has been put threw the place and we are now at a start again.
You lie with dogs you get up with flees (Morris bros).
I don't believe Meaney has received anywhere near the level/quality of mentoring and development of Paps in the fullback position the last 2 years. Shame really.
All the attributes that people have mentioned in this thread that Meaney is lacking I agree with.
Going off his potential, I believe if Meaney was in the Storm system he would be a 'far' better player.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Title is self explanatory.

why or why Not?
He is quick and has football instinct. But is he good enough?
Proper answers please.
Lets strive for higher. Maybe he could be the next Billy Salter. lol