Opinion Can JMK be our potential dummy-half for 2019

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He's got the pace out of the ruck. Plus he has a short kicking game.

Add in the skills coach this year, and I think JMK will be better than people realise.

Pay seemed to mark Browns card last season and didn’t like giving him a chance. He has done the exact opposite with JMK and gives him chance after chance.
Brown played a game at fullback. Was murdering the stats and had a cracking game before he destroyed his ... knee (I think it was). Kept him out for quite a few games.

But what I saw of him at fullback was rather impressive actually.

Browns issue is he's prone to brain explosions at times.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about lichaa and jmk. Nu brown is thr man. He is more than capable of being the dogs number 9. The bloke has solid speed out of dummy. Can pass well. Gets a ling really well with the boys. Also has self confidence, esp after the isp victory.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hooker looked by far his best position when he got the opportunity to play there this year.

He's got some really good attributes to work with, I just felt he lacked a bit of confidence which hindered his execution.

But all in all he's solid in defence, has pace and acceleration off the mark, throws a good pass off both wings and can kick. I'm far from prepared to write him off yet and have no issue with him potentially being given first crack in the #9 jersey come R1.

Lichaa is Lichaa. Defensively sound but simply just doesn't get us on the front foot in attack. No kicking game. No spark. Very little creativity. Should be our ISP #9, serviceable backup should injury strike.

Brown produces glimpses of magic from time to time but I'm yet to see him put together a complete performance. Simply too erratic to be a big minute starting hooker in FG. Even at ISP level he's pretty much rocks and diamonds. 30 games in 5 years since debuting pretty much says it all about him. Happy to see him in cameo bursts from the bench.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
JMK is like the retarded nephew of the coach, always gets a game, and tries his heart out, but is shit at pretty much everything.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As said above Lichaa has a big heart and works hard in defense. It is his Attack that is lacking. Maybe due to the work he does in defense. He does seem a little slow passing off the ground. Brown I thing is a better attacking 9 but seems to go missing in defense. It is such an important position these days especially the gains that can be made darting forward at the right times like Cooks does. Not sure we have a genuine contender on the rooster. So am happy to with either Lichaa or Brown until someone better is recruited.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fuck JMK, useless player and if Pay picks him as a starter then he deserves to be sacked when the experiment failed, same way he failed as a half...

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hooker looked by far his best position when he got the opportunity to play there this year.

He's got some really good attributes to work with, I just felt he lacked a bit of confidence which hindered his execution.

But all in all he's solid in defence, has pace and acceleration off the mark, throws a good pass off both wings and can kick. I'm far from prepared to write him off yet and have no issue with him potentially being given first crack in the #9 jersey come R1.

Lichaa is Lichaa. Defensively sound but simply just doesn't get us on the front foot in attack. No kicking game. No spark. Very little creativity. Should be our ISP #9, serviceable backup should injury strike.

Brown produces glimpses of magic from time to time but I'm yet to see him put together a complete performance. Simply too erratic to be a big minute starting hooker in FG. Even at ISP level he's pretty much rocks and diamonds. 30 games in 5 years since debuting pretty much says it all about him. Happy to see him in cameo bursts from the bench.
I agree wit you.
But....Lichaa is on $500K this season in a back ended deal so no way he will play ISP (for the season) on that coin.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Give me Nu Brown over Lichaa and JMK any day.

Lichaa has had a thousand chances and only looked good for 3 games at the end of 2017 then reverted back this year. We just cannot go through another season with him.

JMK isn't a NRL player at this stage or his career there is plenty of flaws in his game. The best thing for him would be full season in ISP in the same position being a utility is great but you need to be very good in one position first.

Brown is easily the best attacking dummy half we have and its not even close. He does have brain fades but its not like Lichaa or JMK don't make mistakes at least Brown gives us some threat from hooker.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give me Nu Brown over Lichaa and JMK any day.

Lichaa has had a thousand chances and only looked good for 3 games at the end of 2017 then reverted back this year. We just cannot go through another season with him.

JMK isn't a NRL player at this stage or his career there is plenty of flaws in his game. The best thing for him would be full season in ISP in the same position being a utility is great but you need to be very good in one position first.

Brown is easily the best attacking dummy half we have and its not even close. He does have brain fades but its not like Lichaa or JMK don't make mistakes at least Brown gives us some threat from hooker.
U seriously don't rate brown in d do u?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
U seriously don't rate brown in d do u?
None of them are out standing defenders so I'd take Brown of his attack.

Lichaa has no line speed and rarely dominates a tackle. He does rack up a big tackle count but that comes with the position.

JMK gets gassed very quickly and he tends to drop off tackles.

Brown isn't a outstanding defender but there is plenty more upside having him there with with the ball over the other two.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Brown lacks consistency and that's top of my list for the things that I want to see in our hooker. It's the link position, everything flows off the play the ball (dah) and having someone inconsistent in that position is far from ideal. If he can build some consistency into his game then he's a contender for the spot. Until then sticking with the incumbent is the lessor of the 2 evils.

Go Dogs

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said it a few times on here, I think they should give Cogger a go at 9. He is quick can kick and has game management..
I agree with you 100%, I mentioned this in a thread earlier this year.
IMO, our best case scenario is that if Foran is fit & can fire
Then

1. Meaney OR Hoppa
6. Lewis
7. Foran
9. Cogger

14. Brown/JMK

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a game last year where he broke the line and was run down... No thanks

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
None of them are out standing defenders so I'd take Brown of his attack.

Lichaa has no line speed and rarely dominates a tackle. He does rack up a big tackle count but that comes with the position.

JMK gets gassed very quickly and he tends to drop off tackles.

Brown isn't a outstanding defender but there is plenty more upside having him there with with the ball over the other two.
All valid points though I seriously doubt Brown can rack up the numbers in the middle nor be effective in making half of them compared to the other two especially, its an issue. Defence over attack on this one in my opinion, though here's hoping the halves can take control.

All depends on what happens really doesn't it. If Lichaa does leave and we go shopping which approach would you take then?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is nothing about JMK that excites me.. hes young & belongs in reserve grade until he improves..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All valid points though I seriously doubt Brown can rack up the numbers in the middle nor be effective in making half of them compared to the other two especially, its an issue. Defence over attack on this one in my opinion, though here's hoping the halves can take control.

All depends on what happens really doesn't it. If Lichaa does leave and we go shopping which approach would you take then?
Brown racked up some 40+ tackle counts in ISP so he can do the work rate but doing that in NRL is a different thing. You'd probably have Lichaa first and JMK second on defence and Brown last but there isn't a lot in it.

Brown is just the best of a bad bunch.

Hopefully we would bring in a proper hooker if Lichaa left but I can't see anyone picking him up without us paying a lot of the contract.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brown racked up some 40+ tackle counts in ISP so he can do the work rate but doing that in NRL is a different thing. You'd probably have Lichaa first and JMK second on defence and Brown last but there isn't a lot in it.

Brown is just the best of a bad bunch.

Hopefully we would bring in a proper hooker if Lichaa left but I can't see anyone picking him up without us paying a lot of the contract.
Wish the club could rid all three tbh.. An Andrew Mculloch next to a Liddle wouldn't be the worst thing I reckon though we should have a real dig at Brendon Smith if C.Smith sticks around.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wish the club could rid all three tbh.. An Andrew Mculloch next to a Liddle wouldn't be the worst thing I reckon though we should have a real dig at Brendon Smith if C.Smith sticks around.
We do have some younger hookers coming through with Ryan Gray and Jason Hetherington's son Zach so there's some light at the end of the tunnel but that doesn't help for this season but hopefully one will turn into a long term solution.