Other News Source Cameron Munster

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Anasta was a Souths supporter growing up, and claimed he signed for us because we were the one club that stood by Souths when they were being kicked out of the NRL. The he signed for the club that tried harder than any other to get rid of Souths.
His uncle, Piggins, sent him to us as a thank you.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The first time I saw Anasta play was for the Dogs against Manly, it might even have been his debut. He scored a couple of intercept tries and had a blinder overall. I thought I was seeing the next Wally Lewis in a Dogs jumper. sadly, over the next five years or so, I never saw him play remotely as well as that first game. His ability was a slightly above average first grader but he was a regular selection for Australia and NSW. I think the selectors must have seen the Manly game and been mesmerized by it.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The first time I saw Anasta play was for the Dogs against Manly, it might even have been his debut. He scored a couple of intercept tries and had a blinder overall. I thought I was seeing the next Wally Lewis in a Dogs jumper. sadly, over the next five years or so, I never saw him play remotely as well as that first game. His ability was a slightly above average first grader but he was a regular selection for Australia and NSW. I think the selectors must have seen the Manly game and been mesmerized by it.
He was a 5/8 in a locks body, too big close to the line, would often take the line on and when you have threats all over the park with his smarts and size, usually ends well. A good talker on the field also. Losing him to the chooks was nowhere near impactful as losing Omealy and Mason - it hurt when those guys left. SBW went the following year and Asotasi was the first to leave being offered a starting gig and big bucks - our entire pack left within 2 years, but sometimes that’s the price of success…

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
.......Asotasi was the first to leave being offered a starting gig and big bucks - our entire pack left within 2 years, but sometimes that’s the price of success…
I'm not sure the money was the only consideration. Between 2002 and 2006/7, we had the playing squad to win a whole string of successive premierships. Remind me, how many did we win?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure the money was the only consideration. Between 2002 and 2006/7, we had the playing squad to win a whole string of successive premierships. Remind me, how many did we win?
It will go down as an epic fail for the squad they had but at least they did win one. Should have won 3. When we had a similar quality squad in the 80s, they converted this to 4 Premierships - simply down to possessing a better mentality and fewer player distractions back then.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I watched a replay of the 2004 grand final on Kayo a few weeks ago (for therapeutic purposes), and I was reminded that Johnathon Thurston, Sonny Bill and Roy Asotasi all started on the bench. Was this the greatest bench in history?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I watched a replay of the 2004 grand final on Kayo a few weeks ago (for therapeutic purposes), and I was reminded that Johnathon Thurston, Sonny Bill and Roy Asotasi all started on the bench. Was this the greatest bench in history?
Gotta be the up there for best club game bench ever

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
outside of hooker, we had one of the great forward packs, too... Steve Price, Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan, Tony Grimaldi, Roy Asotasi, Sonny Bill Williams and Reni Maitua

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
outside of hooker, we had one of the great forward packs, too... Steve Price, Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason, Andrew Ryan, Tony Grimaldi, Roy Asotasi, Sonny Bill Williams and Reni Maitua
Don't forget Corey Hughes, I loved his effort and contribution to us in the prelim and GF.