Other News Source Cameron Munster

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's the same situation as Penrith with Cleary-Luai-Burton.

You have to put your faith in 2 players only and be resigned to lose the 3rd.

If we hadn't signed Burton when we did, Penrith would have realised they could keep him at centre and as back up half. Would have been more difficult to lure him away.

If we had a chance to play Thurston elsewhere in the team it may have been an option, but with SC pressures and Thurston desire to want a full time halves spot, you can see the predicament.
You think Burton would of settled as a centre? I think position was on the same level as the money with him that got him here.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
true... I was a little squirmy though at halftime when we were 13-6 down
Yes agreed.

When the Rorters got that field goal just before half time taking the margin out to 7, I was feeling concerned.

But the rest is history.

Hard to believe it's the last time we won a premiership - almost 20 years ago.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes agreed.

When the Rorters got that field goal just before half time taking the margin out to 7, I was feeling concerned.

But the rest is history.

that GF winning team was pillaged by vultures and we have spent the last decade being thoroughly mismanaged

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yes agreed.

But the rest is history.

That field goal told me we would win tbh...

PS I was sitting where Cocker knocked on 2 rows back from the fence. Never hugged and kissed so many strangers in my life after that lol

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think Burton would of settled as a centre? I think position was on the same level as the money with him that got him here.
At least in the short term (3-4 years) he would have settled as being a top centre earning 450-500k, playing origin, and playing in premiership contender with his mates.

At some stage though, discussions with his manager would make he think he could be a very good 5/8th and earning closer to 1M and so as a longer term goal he wouldn't want to just stay in the centres.

As a combination of both (centre and backup half), earning say around 600-700k, it's an option to keep going for your whole career.

Earning 6M over a 10 year career and in a strong team is a very good proposition fir any player.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
At least in the short term (3-4 years) he would have settled as being a top centre earning 450-500k, playing origin, and playing in premiership contender with his mates.

At some stage though, discussions with his manager would make he think he could be a very good 5/8th and earning closer to 1M and so as a longer term goal he wouldn't want to just stay in the centres.

As a combination of both (centre and backup half), earning say around 600-700k, it's an option to keep going for your whole career.

Earning 6M over a 10 year career and in a strong team is a very good proposition fir any player.
Do you really think players only ever make decisions based on dollar$ ? What a narrow view of the world.

Always a Bulldog

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

While you make valid arguments money wise, I believe even if we offered the same money, he still would of picked us as we offered the 5/8th role.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

PS I was sitting where Cocker knocked on 2 rows back from the fence. Never hugged and kissed so many strangers in my life after that lol
I think you mean because they went for 1 point instead of more?

Yeah - the Crocker knock on was the end for Rorters. Will love the Bobcat forever for making that tackle because Crocker was into a gap and getting close to our line.

Your post just prompted me to watch a replay of that tackle - only short video but after the knock on Ray Warren just kept screaming "There's the grand final! There's the grand final". Ad he was right too.

I was also at that game in person with my sister and a friend. We were sitting around halfway on the non-tunnel side so had pretty good visibility of that last play.

We were all celebrating like we had just won the premiership or something!

They were the good old days. I wish so much we would start winning again - consistently. The last however many years for the Dogs have been a f**king drag - a real test of our resilience as Dogs supporters. Sometimes I have felt like just quitting following the NRL altogether but have loved the Dogs since 1979 so just can't give up on them - ever.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
that GF winning team was pillaged by vultures and we have spent the last decade being thoroughly mismanaged
Yeah - we lost so many of our good players after the GF win and you are right about the last decade. It has been a long wait for us Dogs supporters to see a finals series etc with the Dogs in it and in proper contention. Even 2016 we went out backwards to Penrith so it is years and years we have waited. Let's hope that changes soon

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think you mean because they went for 1 point instead of more?

Yeah - the Crocker knock on was the end for Rorters. Will love the Bobcat forever for making that tackle because Crocker was into a gap and getting close to our line.

Your post just prompted me to watch a replay of that tackle - only short video but after the knock on Ray Warren just kept screaming "There's the grand final! There's the grand final". Ad he was right too.

I was also at that game in person with my sister and a friend. We were sitting around halfway on the non-tunnel side so had pretty good visibility of that last play.

We were all celebrating like we had just won the premiership or something!

They were the good old days. I wish so much we would start winning again - consistently. The last however many years for the Dogs have been a f**king drag - a real test of our resilience as Dogs supporters. Sometimes I have felt like just quitting following the NRL altogether but have loved the Dogs since 1979 so just can't give up on them - ever.
Yeah, to me the FG before HT showed weakness. I know every point counts in a GF but that just felt like weakness.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was a funny moment in the 2004 GF when Sherwin was drifting across field before putting El Masri through and just as El Masri was breaking the tackle to score, Hegarty started clapping thinking El Masri had been held up... made it look like Hegarty was cheering the 'Dogs going ahead in the GF

those were the days

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
there was a funny moment in the 2004 GF when Sherwin was drifting across field before putting El Masri through and just as El Masri was breaking the tackle to score, Hegarty started clapping thinking El Masri had been held up... made it look like Hegarty was cheering the 'Dogs going ahead in the GF

those were the days
How funny you mention that moment!

Back in the day, I used to order these fabulous full colour photos from the newspaper of special Dogs moments like that.

As well as several others from our GF win, I happened to order that one as Hazem is planting the ball for the try that ultimately won us the grand final.

Hegarty right there clapping - maybe he should have paid closer attention to what was actually happening!

But glad he enjoyed Hazem scoring anyway.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think he came on in the preliminary against the Panthers and made that break which got us back into the match. Otherwise we wouldn't have made the GF.
He kicked a crucial 40-20 in that game

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Would have been an awesome feeling. I haven't witnessed a premiership win live. Suffered in 2012 and 2014 lol.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Would have been an awesome feeling. I haven't witnessed a premiership win live. Suffered in 2012 and 2014 lol.
Nothing beats seeing your team win the comp live.

I was lucky to have done this in 1988, 1995 and 2004.

I also suffered in 2012 and 2014. Add 1986, 1994 and 1998 to that list.

Could not believe that I was out of the city in 1984 (a geology field trip to Tamworth) and didn't have tickets in 1985. Won them both then I got tickets for 1986 ...

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The whole long weekend was one of the best times of my life. Left my house friday arvo, stumbled home monday night.

PS I was lucky enough to get in the room at Canterbury leagues to celebrate with the boys. Even held the trophy, it's fkn heavy lol

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing beats seeing your team win the comp live.

I was lucky to have done this in 1988, 1995 and 2004.

I also suffered in 2012 and 2014. Add 1986, 1994 and 1998 to that list.

Could not believe that I was out of the city in 1984 (a geology field trip to Tamworth) and didn't have tickets in 1985. Won them both then I got tickets for 1986 ...
i remember losing 1998 to Brisbane but was too young to actually take it to heart. Then when the dogs did it in 04, i remember driving through belmore streets with my old man after the game. the streets were blocked off and it was absolute mayhem. i'll never forget it. one of the best experiences. 2012 rolled around and i was hopeful i'd get to experience it again... nope. 2014 - a shot at redemption! i was at ANZ stadium to cheer them on, only to get done again. i thought i'd drive through belmore on the way home and found the same chaotic scene as 2004, a procession of cars beeping and carrying on following the team bus through the back streets back to the leagues club. i cant wait until we win another one to do it all again!

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
i remember losing 1998 to Brisbane but was too young to actually take it to heart. Then when the dogs did it in 04, i remember driving through belmore streets with my old man after the game. the streets were blocked off and it was absolute mayhem. i'll never forget it. one of the best experiences. 2012 rolled around and i was hopeful i'd get to experience it again... nope. 2014 - a shot at redemption! i was at ANZ stadium to cheer them on, only to get done again. i thought i'd drive through belmore on the way home and found the same chaotic scene as 2004, a procession of cars beeping and carrying on following the team bus through the back streets back to the leagues club. i cant wait until we win another one to do it all again!
Thanks for sharing Philmus.

Glad you got to experience the win in 2004

We also went back to Belmore after the GF and waited outside the leagues club for the players to arrive. It was mayhem and everybody was super excited. Then the double decker bus slowly rolled in. The players were on top holding up the trophy and people were going nuts.

It was an awesome feeling. Yeah was hoping in 2012 and 2014 and it has been a long wait since. I think there are glimmers of hope that we're going to return to power over the next few years

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
The whole long weekend was one of the best times of my life. Left my house friday arvo, stumbled home monday night.

PS I was lucky enough to get in the room at Canterbury leagues to celebrate with the boys. Even held the trophy, it's fkn heavy lol
Ha! We couldn't get in. We tried but so was everybody else.

Lucky you!