News Cameron McInnes’ future at St George Illawarra is looking increasingly shaky

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On one side of this delicate debate is the reality that St George Illawarra has to make some tough decisions to get its salary cap in shape if they are going to improve under new coach Anthony Griffin.
And on the other side of an emotive issue that is sure to divide fans is the Dragons’ inspirational captain Cameron McInnes.

But this is exactly why McInnes’ long-term future at the club is looking increasingly shaky with the Dragons still pushing hard to get Andrew McCullough for this season.

Cameron McInnes is sure to attract plenty of interest if he hit the open market.

Cameron McInnes is sure to attract plenty of interest if he hit the open market.

The Dragons are hoping to secure the veteran Brisbane hooker sooner rather than later on a two-year deal but for about half the $620,000-a-season McCullough is currently on.

Meanwhile, McInnes, who turns 27 on Monday, has been told there also will be a spot for him beyond this season - but so far no official offer has been put on the table.

Where the real issue lies is that McInnes is himself expected to attract offers of around $600,000-a-season at rival clubs, but that is a figure well beyond what the Dragons will be prepared to pay.

So even if they end up missing out on McCullough, it is unlikely they will match the money McInnes can earn elsewhere.

The Dragons have been negotiating with Brisbane since November, hoping to reach an agreement to release McCullough.

McCullough, who turned 31 on Saturday, is close mates with halfback Ben Hunt and also has a good relationship with Griffin from their days together at the Broncos.

While the Dragons are said to be growing tired of the drawn out negotiations, most still believe a deal will get done before the new season.

If it ultimately eventuates, what is almost certain is that Griffin won’t be buying McCullough to play reserve grade.

That means McInnes will have to be open to spending more time at lock this season.

McInnes has made it known that he will do whatever is best for the team and if that means wearing the No.13 jumper, so be it.

But there is no doubt his market value would be far greater as a dummy half.

Cameron McInnes has been a stalwart for the Dragons for many years.
McInnes’ management has made no secret that they have been out there talking to all interested parties, but, so far, negotiations have been done with a mutual respect.

But it’s all now coming to a head as the talks intensify.

And while this is sure to become more and more of an emotional issue among the fans, it is also a huge decision the Dragons need to get right given some of their questionable recruitment choices in recent years.

The Dragons are hoeful of securing McCullough for the 2021 season.
It is hard to imagine McInnes running out in rival club colours and plenty of fans would think he is worth every cent of $600,000.

But another significant factor the Dragons must also consider is what would happen if Jack de Belin is cleared to play in the coming months, given he owned the lock spot.

So far Wests Tigers have been the one club publicly linked to McInnes after the Dragons hooker caught up with his old Souths coach Michael Maguire prior to Christmas.

And while there will be other clubs surely interested, whispers also surfaced in recent days that Manly might be a left-field contender given Manase Fainu’s uncertain future — although the Sea Eagles did hand Fainu a contract extension last year to ward off interest from the Bulldogs.

Of course, Fainu is currently suspended indefinitely under the NRL’s no fault stand down policy after he was charged with allegedly stabbing a man at a church dance in October, 2019.

Fainu has pleaded not guilty but his trial is not scheduled until July.

That timeline is unlikely to suit McInnes given his future is expected to be settled before the season starts in March. It’s now just a matter of how hard the Dragons are prepared to fight to keep him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Despite his limitations in attack, McIness is still an upper echelon hooker who would be a huge upgrade on what we have as a short term option. 600k would be worth it. But he might get a fair bit more than that.

I could see Brown overpaying for him to go to the Warriors and Madge would make a huge offer to get him to the Tigers.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some dumb club (probably Tigers) is going to shell out $600k+ and more than a 3 year deal for him and I’m so glad it’s not us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
600k as a last resort because we missed out on an attacking hookers such as Brandon Smith or Turpin wouldn't be bad (I'd even possibly prefer the next best hooker coming through, e.g. someone like Simpkin). I expect McInnes re-sign at the Dragons for that or go to a club like the Tigers for 800k tho. I'm not the biggest fan. I want our hooker to be heavily involved in attack.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PASS on this bloke..and also LOL at them preferring Mcculloch wtf...as long as neither come near the dogs happy days.
I would bet Baz doesnt want McInnes due to a perceived lack of attacking prowess.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dragons have played a poor man's version of Desball for years McInnes was a part of that dud attack

Widdop in his prime made their attack look good at times.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We could do worse than to offer McInnes something, 700k is too much though. 550 -600 tops. At that price he would be a good acquisition. Clearly the dragons are trying to free up cap space and I’d be happy to improve at their expense.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We could do worse than to offer McInnes something, 700k is too much though. 550 -600 tops. At that price he would be a good acquisition. Clearly the dragons are trying to free up cap space and I’d be happy to improve at their expense.
Yes I wouldn't object either :grinning:

He is in the traditional Bulldogs mold of distributing dummy half who never says die, gives his all, supports team mates and the ball carrier and a team player.

If we have Flanno, Avo, Burton, Cotric, JAC, Wardell, Thommo, Allen, Elliott all offering something in attack then a "get the job done" smart, hooker can work.

But I defer to Baz and his plans. So far he hasn't called it and he might be seeing something in one of the guys we already have.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For sure. He may not be the dynamic hooker in the league, but he is smart and he is good defender also which would tighten up things in the middle.
And if Baz can get anyway near the improvement he did from Api then we will have a quality hooker at a good price.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's probably where i disagree 600k isn't to me anyway a "good price".

As said revert to Baz's intuition, not inconceivable JMK could go ok and he's quick, plus is on WAY less than 600 large.