News Cameron Ciraldo set to trigger four-club bidding war as Panthers get-out clause revealed

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have emerged as favourites to land in-demand Panthers assist Cameron Ciraldo as the race for his signature firms.

According to The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read, the Bulldogs are the team most likely to land Ciraldo’s prized services. But in what would amount to an all-out bidding war, head coaching roles at the Titans, Knights and Eels could also be available.

Ciraldo is reportedly nearing putting pen to paper at a contract extension at the Panthers, but his deal will reportedly have a clause which allows him to take up a lucrative offer elsewhere if he signs before November 1.

Interested clubs now have a three-month window to secure his services. Should he commit to Penrith for next season it is understood he won’t walk out on the Panthers.

Despite the potential for other clubs to join the race, Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould is confident he will land his top target.

Gould has remained eerily silent through the club’s turbulent period, even keeping the majority of the Canterbury-Bankstown board out of negotiations.

Chairman John Khoury and chief executive Aaron Warbuton are the only two board members said to have knowledge of the coaching situation.

According to The Daily Telegraph, there is also still a view Ciraldo may put off a move until the 2024 season, meaning interim coach Mick Potter will likely hold the fort for another season.

Reports have also suggested Titans coach Justin Holbrook could potentially be facing the axe, with former Cowboys boss Paul Green in line to take over.

Meanwhile, the Knights performances under Adam O’Brien have been poor and Newcastle powerbrokers could look elsewhere to return the club to finals football.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am always stunned when one of these journalists goes on TV or the radio and makes some baseless assertion and then the following day there is a written story about how Paul Kent or Brent Read or Andrew Webster etc. believes this or that will happen in the game... and neither are proper journalism

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not to mention that Wharby isn’t even on the board.
Someone needed column inches filled and clicks got.
Agree but I still think we are favourites for Ciraldo :tearsofjoy:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Even tho I'd prefer a different option if Ciraldo isn't taking the job for 2023 I don't see why we'd want him for 2024. It just sounds counter productive and a wasted year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even tho I'd prefer a different option if Ciraldo isn't taking the job for 2023 I don't see why we'd want him for 2024. It just sounds counter productive and a wasted year.
Agreed. What more could he learn at the panthers next year ?

He has been assistant there for I think 4 years. He has already learnt good players make coaches look good. Thats about as much as Ivan could teach him

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The elephant in the room by waiting that long is the Storm job. If Ciraldo is that good wouldn’t the Storm also be interested in him? I know which club I’d choose if I was him

Last edited:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The elephant in the room by waiting that long is thr Storm job. If Ciraldo is that good wouldn’t the Storm also be interested in him? I know which club I’d choose if I was him
Agreed!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe mate, but even if it plays out that way it might not be for 2023. We’ll see. Regardless, as long as it’s not the peptide purveyor I’ll be a happy camper :-).
Yeah it’s hard to know what we are doing if he doesn’t sign for next 2023. The delay could simply be Ciraldo concentrating on helping panthers go back to back before confirming his departure. I don’t know what he would hope to achieve there waiting another year unless he was doing a personal favour to the panthers whilst Ivan gets back to full health.

The way I see it we are a pretty attractive option for a young coach if they are willing to be mentored by Gus and hope he doesn’t come down to training with the whistle:tearsofjoy: a more experienced coach might not be so patient with him. Other then that roster building nicely, huge fan base, plenty of corporate dollar and juniors starting to make an imprint again. I am not overly worried about the competition for him. You would think Peptide Snr would take Peptide Jr with him wherever he goes. One less headache.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am always stunned when one of these journalists goes on TV or the radio and makes some baseless assertion and then the following day there is a written story about how Paul Kent or Brent Read or Andrew Webster etc. believes this or that will happen in the game... and neither are proper journalism
There are no journalists that cover Rugby League. They are all gossip columnists guessing in essence and sensationalising things that for the most part are non stories. The irony is it’s the game that employs them that they are so excited to bring down at any opportunity. Their accountability in their job is right up there with meteorologists.

Malla

Reaction score
Has Brett Reid hit a wall with writers block or something? This is the 13th time I’ve read this story in the last 3 months

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is the hype with Ciraldo? Barrett came from the same system and had FG coaching experience yet failed…I trust Gus to make right choice.